Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording a pop band with 2 mics  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Blacknoise

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording a pop band with 2 mics
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:07 PM »
Hi there,

I'm currently studying the 3rd year of a music production degree, this year I have to do a location recording project (a classical, jazz and pop recording, the former 2 are in the bag). The problem is I only have a 2-in audio interface, and my university is only willing to supply mics (probably 2 C414's or similar). How could I get a satisfactory capture of a pop/rock band, and how can I stop the PA causing me any problems?

I also had the idea of using 2 laptops, with 2 mics feeding in to each one, would it sound good with a stereo mic and spot mics on the kick drum and vox? or would this create too many phase issues?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording a pop band with 2 mics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:56:29 PM »
How many and what are in the band?
Will there be an audience?
Are you trying to get the recording from the stage where you will be picking up the sounds coming out of the amps? or will you be setting up so you can get it from the PA?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
I am assuming the PA is a couple of large speakers close to the stage lip.  To beat the PA get in close, at the stage lip or closer.  You can run the C414's as an ORTF array using them as cardioids or as a Blumlein using them as Fig 8's.  I will not try to explain the two arrays to you here.  You can look them up.  You should know enough about mic placement to know that your best shot with two mics is right at the edge of the group.  The textbook placement is above the conductor/leader at about 12 - 15' up aimed into the center of the group.  I think that is best for the ORTF.  Bluemlein might be better further back, but then would pick up the PA's so chuck that idea.

Check Eargle or Bartlett for more help.  Bartlett's "Recording on Location" will steer you straight.  Good luck!
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »
If you "beat the PA" then you are getting close... stage lip or on-stage.  This will give you a nice mix except for 3 typical problems... low vocals, low kick drum, high overhead drums.  But guitar and bass amps will sound awesome.

What I generally do when I have free reign with a band in a small bar, is I set up my mics a few feet (6-10') off the stage... so I have some PA, and some on stage.  This gives me a bit of stereo mix from the stage (for instance the guitar amp on the left is mostly on the left), then I run SBD into other channels of my 4 track recorder.  At home I mix it just a little bit of SBD, generally the AUD is 6-9db stronger than the SBD.  The extra SBD is really just to add a little crispness to the vocals.  When you record the AUD and SBD into separate recorders/laptops it becomes a chore to align them, but many people have done it many times.  Much easier with a 4 channel recorder.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com