Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR  (Read 93108 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part FOUR
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
As others have recently pointed out, there have been a lot of basic questions lately that have been answered many, many times before.  Make an effort, and take a few minutes of your time to use the search function.

Offline whiskybob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #271 on: February 19, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
O.K....My Edrirol HR is currently being repaired. Recorded last week, set the levels and everything looked great, peaking around -6db. When I got home and listened it became clear that there was a problem, the bass in the recording kept cutting out so even though the levels were fine the recording went from one with bass to one without bass.
The following day I checked to find the problem.....Every time I touched the cable going into the Line in on the recorder it changed....I changed the cable to make sure it wasn't the cable....no change. I know there were issues with the original R-09 but I thought they'd been resolved?
Is there any way or any thing that can prevent stress on the socket....I'm talking physical prevention rather than "treat it kindly" sort of advice? Any help gratefully received, also why did the bass frequencies cut out rather than the whole recording?

Looking forward to getting my "baby" back soon.....

David.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:29:43 PM by whiskybob »
Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »
Line-in comp between the R-09HR and the Tascam DR-2d:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=131126.msg1761056#msg1761056

Offline groundhog2

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2011, 11:14:04 AM »
hey folks, i just purchased an HR....i've had an r09 for a while but was wondering if anyone could shed some light a few things so i don't have to go through 100ish pages of replies.....

external power tip size?
polarity?
voltage?

thanks in advance ;)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure it is a B tip, and you can run it on 5v batteries like a lenmar powerport.  I don't know about the polarity, but I'm sure Ted could shed some light on this.  I recently got one too!  I haven't had a chance to use it.

hey folks, i just purchased an HR....i've had an r09 for a while but was wondering if anyone could shed some light a few things so i don't have to go through 100ish pages of replies.....

external power tip size?
polarity?
voltage?

thanks in advance ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:23:41 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline groundhog2

• Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
Thanks,  yep i've got it working now.   For some reason it wouldn't power up using one of my Digital Concepts PP-99 batteries.  My Tekkeon works fine with it.

b tip
positive polarity
as far as i can tell it's 5v....that's the lowest setting on my tekkeon anyway.

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
I have a friend that uses the pp-99 with his r09hr at the 5v setting.  Might want to give it another shot and I think you have to take out the AA batteries. 

Thanks,  yep i've got it working now.   For some reason it wouldn't power up using one of my Digital Concepts PP-99 batteries.  My Tekkeon works fine with it.

b tip
positive polarity
as far as i can tell it's 5v....that's the lowest setting on my tekkeon anyway.

Offline groundhog2

• Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:20 AM »
yeah it just worked w/ my pp99.....after updating to the latest firmware.  Not really a fan of the inputs on the side but glad i got everything working.  Thanks for the help 8)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #278 on: May 01, 2011, 05:57:14 AM »
Hello, i Have been using the r-09 ever since it was introduced.
I use DPA 4022>sonosax pre amp ( settings around 14db)> r-09 ( settings at 5-7) I use these setting for loud shows like Van Halen when I am in 12 rows or closer.  the r-09 seems to handle the low input level of 5-7.  If i increase the gain on the sonosax to say 20db then i will clip all the time.  I am not technically gifted to understand why, but those low setting seem to work.  Even with a softer show say acoustic show, i may adjust edirol to input level say 12-14 while the sonosax is at 14db and these setting appear to be ok.  since i stealth I really dont look at the setting on the edirol or even adjust them.  I just set it and forget it.  The sonosax preamp is so buried that there would be no way to dial more or less gain.  So i just let go in with a guess of how loud the show might be. So recording my edirol at an input of 5-7 seems to be fine.

If i run my sonosax at 20 db and r-09 at unity I will brickwall.
Even running open shows say at Gov't Mule i could not run sonosax at 20db adn the edirol at like 7 without clipping.  So it seems the more i actually increase the sonosax gain the more distorted.  I did 3 shows of Govt mule in a row same seats 5 rows on Warrens side, and i used 3 different setting adjustments. 
1. used the sonosax at 20db and edirol r-09 at around 9
2. sonosax at 14 edirol at around 9
3. sonosax at 10-12 db and edirol around 7 , this for me got better results.
I have found that if i increase the gain of the sonosax pre amp it becomes a bit distorted, but if i increase the input of the r-09 I get a much cleaner sound?

but i digress

My biggest question is I am looking to getting the HR -09 now that my r-09 might be having some lose connections.
so one of my biggest questions going from r-09 and jumping up to the r-09HR should not be much of a learning curve and could expect similiar results?

the one difference is i see the r-09 goes from 0-30 where the edirol HRr-09 uses a different set of numbers and goes up to 80 i think, so i wonder:
1. if i set the r-0-9 at an input of 7, then how is that proportional to a setting on the edirol HR -0-9?

2. a big thanks in advance to the questions thanks for helping

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #279 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »
groundhog2, the polarity on edirol devices is opposite of most other things so its center negative at 5 volts.
Recent post in regards to external power supply for this recorder: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144995.0

bluntforcetrauma, The 09HR does up up to level 80 but I suspect you would be comfortable setting the recorder anywhere from 40-50. The nice thing about the hr is that is hs 24 bit so you can have a little more leeway to give it more gain from the pre-amp. Just a side note, set the gain on the HR prior to the band starting because there is a very faint noise when increasing the levels. If you need to adjust the levels while the band is on, I would recommend using the pre-amp and not the HR.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #280 on: May 01, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »
1. if i set the r-0-9 at an input of 7, then how is that proportional to a setting on the edirol HR -0-9?

Anything below 8 on the r09 produces audible distortion.  I found it easy to hear on sources with significant bass.  Even setting 8 may produce subtle distortion that is more difficult to hear.

You may want to try using an attenuator.

The m10 seems to do better at handling hot signals.  I have not heard any outright reports of distortion.  I have heard reports that the r09hr will distort signals if the trim is run below a certain setting.  I would seriously consider the m10 over the r09hr if I were buying today.  But I have yet to hear of anyone doing m10 quality testing of hot signals at low settings.

I think all of these little recorders use digital attenuation.  So it is valid to ask whether an upstream attenuator would be better than turning them down 'too far'.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #281 on: May 05, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
I know this is going to be a weird request but does anyone have each and every individual firmware update for the R-09HR? I thought Edirol would have them catalogued on their website but I can't find it if they do. I thought I had them all but I can't find them here either.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #282 on: May 21, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I recently picked up a used R09HR.  It has ver. 1.04 firmware.  I need to update it but to which version?  v1.06, v2.0 or v3.01?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #283 on: May 21, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm no expert on the R09HR, but the 3.01 has a ecomode that gets better battery run times.  I'm not sure if earlier versions also have this. 

I recently picked up a used R09HR.  It has ver. 1.04 firmware.  I need to update it but to which version?  v1.06, v2.0 or v3.01?

Offline tbrown4

• Trade Count: (45)
    • Tim's Adventures in Sound
« Reply #284 on: May 22, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »
I'm very interested in the Eco mode function. I guess I'll be upgrading today. Any idea on average running time with four AAs and eco mode?

I'm no expert on the R09HR, but the 3.01 has a ecomode that gets better battery run times.  I'm not sure if earlier versions also have this. 

AKG C460Bs/A61s/CK61s or CK63s -> Naiant LittleBox -> Edirol R09-HR

http://timothydavidbrown.blogspot.com/

FS: Dead Muppets. Custom "dead rat" style windscreen covers
$25/pair, shipped. Various color/pattern choices
Currently not building orders, the "shop" is temporarily closed. Accepting names on a waiting list.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.msg1786318

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com