Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 116743 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Same.  My Edirol recorders aren't fancy but just plain work. Never had any issues at all with the Oade CM R-44.  Broke the input jack on an early R-09 and Edirol replaced the board and the scratched case front free, out of warranty.  Never had a problem with it after that or any with a second R-09.  Solid gear.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline frogger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »
Going to try syncing 2 R-44's together this weekend for the first time and have a couple of questions.  First, I understand I need to have everything setup the same between the 2 machines (pre-record, bit rate, etc).  I know I need to setup one as master, the other as slave.  I'm guessing everything records to the SD card in the master.  Am I correct to think I only press record on the master?  Would I still use the phantom & volume controls on the individual machines (I'd expect that to be the case)?  And finally, I do use a stereo mini (1/8") to connect the machines, correct?

TIA,
Chuck

Offline thekittycatt

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2010, 02:54:40 PM »
^I never done it, but I would think that you would have to press record on both.  Also, I believe that it would record the 4 channels going to the master on its SD card, and the 4 channels going to the slave on its SD card.  Then at home, you combine the two files on your computer.  But like I said, I never done it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »
I also have not done it.  Hopefully someone who has will post.. but if they don't before you need to roll, I think this is true:

Make settings the same on each recorder, EXCEPT setting one as MASTER the other as SLAVE.
Connect the two machines with the appropriate linking cable.
Hook up mic cables.
Power up both machines and set gains & phantom as required for each individual channel on each machine.
Transport funtions will be controlled by the MASTER machine. That means you only need to push RECORD (or stop, pause, or whatever) on the MASTER and not the SLAVE.
Files will be recorded to the corresponing cards in each machine, 4 on the MASTER and 4 on the SLAVE.

[Edit- Basically, think of linking as allowing you to push RECORD and STOP on just one machine instead of both, but otherwise they act as individual machines)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 03:09:30 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2010, 03:22:59 PM »
[Edit- Basically, think of linking as allowing you to push RECORD and STOP on just one machine instead of both, but otherwise they act as individual machines)

When I read the manual, that's how I understood it as well. I think only a 1/8" (3.5mm) cable is all that is necessary but since I've never done it and don't recall seeing a special cable listed, I'm not certain.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
The only glitches I've had with my R-44 are ones I caused.

Same here...

I am just waiting for an R-88  ;D
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
1/8" (3.5mm) stereo cable.

Tip, ring, sleeve.

I am just waiting for an R-88  ;D

I'm waiting for 6 channels in a R-09 size pocketable machine (7 or 8 would be nice, but one step at a time).  I've moved from using two R-09s to one Tascam DR2d to get 4 channels in one handheld.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »
I'm waiting for 6 channels in a R-09 size pocketable machine (7 or 8 would be nice, but one step at a time).  I've moved from using two R-09s to one Tascam DR2d to get 4 channels in one handheld.

how do you record four channels? mic in and line in?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
Yep.  Using it's dual recording feature, primarily aimed at recording a second safety copy at a lower level to prevent overs, but with an option to instead input a second stereo signal (mic-in / line-in) and either mix those to a single stereo file or record them as a two seperate stereo files.  The implementation has some quirks, but it works and is the only pocketable recorder I know of (other than the $onosax MINIR82) to do 4 channels of external inputs.  Check the DR2d thead for details if interested.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
Syncing two R-44's ONLY allows you controls the start stop record functions.  There is NO DATA TRANSFER between the two machines via a sync cable.  If you are looking for a backup secondary recording you could output from the rca's on the Master deck to the slave deck inputs.  Or you would need to set up the two decks so they both get inputs at the same time.  The sync cable will not allow any kind of data transfer.  You also should be aware that the the clocks on the two decks are not locked together.  They run at different rates.  The R-44 does not have any way of accepting an input of a clocking signal.  Depending on what you are doing this may not matter to you.  I have run two R-44's synced and found that after about 20 minutes the drift was audible if tried to use the files as is. I had to stretch on set of files to get a perfect match.  That's one of the few things I did not like about the R-44 and a reason I made a switch to the DR-680.  Hope that helps

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »
the zoom h4n records 4 files simultanously.

also, seperate word clocks and the resulting sync that is required SUCKS. did that with 2 irivers for too long.
et
i have a zoom r16 for my needs greater than 4 tracks. i would only change that iy defaults to 16 bits and like to make it default to 24 bits. that and more than 2 phantom channels..... not usually needed, but when you do....

Offline Chadfish

• Taperssection Regular
    • Chad's Vimeo Page
« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
The 4 ch recording on the H4N is only for 2 external mics and the 2 internal mics at 16 bit. It's basically a gimmick. The R16 is is also a bit toy-ish as a 16 bit recorder for bedroom musicians who only need 2 phantom mics at a time. The DR-680 would do you with 6 mic preamps and 2 spdif for 8 tracks, and it's a lot less than the R-44 (812.00 @ B&H), with better preamps out of the box. Busman Audio will sell you one pre-modded with the "transparent" mod for 1,100.00 and a 2 year parts & labor warranty. I just ordered one!
Work Examples - http://www.youtube.com/user/Chadfish :: Fun Video - http://www.humboldtmusic.com/chadfish :: Sony EX1(Pair) :: Cubase 5.5 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper[/COLOR]

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »
Syncing two R-44's ONLY allows you controls the start stop record functions.  There is NO DATA TRANSFER between the two machines via a sync cable.  If you are looking for a backup secondary recording you could output from the rca's on the Master deck to the slave deck inputs.  Or you would need to set up the two decks so they both get inputs at the same time.  The sync cable will not allow any kind of data transfer.  You also should be aware that the the clocks on the two decks are not locked together.  They run at different rates.  The R-44 does not have any way of accepting an input of a clocking signal.  Depending on what you are doing this may not matter to you.  I have run two R-44's synced and found that after about 20 minutes the drift was audible if tried to use the files as is. I had to stretch on set of files to get a perfect match.  That's one of the few things I did not like about the R-44 and a reason I made a switch to the DR-680.  Hope that helps
That's interesting about the clock.  On page 73 of the manual they say that "linking doesn't guarantee the exact same REC start time.  However, on page 80 it says control sync gives you "Word clock sync".  Well I'll find out tomorrow how everything goes.  We'll be doing 1 track mono sbd (vocals), direct out of the bass amp and mics for the rest.  Thanks for everybody's input, I'll report back once I've played with it a little.

Chuck

kirk97132

« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »
You're right the manual has a one line statement implying the clocks lock, they do not.  I talked to Edirol Tech support way back when and it does not lock the clocks together.  The disclaimer about the transport starting in reality means there is some latency between the time you hit record on the master and when the slave starts to respond.  Usually less than a second.  You can always hope that you somehow manage to get two units that miraculously run the same.  But my real world experience was after`20 minutes you easily hear the difference.  Hits on a snare drum started to sound like two hits etc.  Stretching/shrinking files to match exactly can be tedious and time consuming.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:57:14 PM by kirkd »

Offline frogger

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
Okay, thanks Kirk.
Chuck

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.198 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com