Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stage Lip: Cards or Omnis?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Stage Lip: Cards or Omnis?
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »
I'm going to tape this show tomorrow night. I'll be almost on the stage, mics hat mounted ( instrumental band, no vocalist). The PA on this venue is composed by two gigantic speaker boxes ranging from the ceiling, like 12 feet above me and slightly behind my back. Question: cards or mics ( in this case HLSC-1 and HLSO-Micro - both Sennheiser based).
Thanks in advance  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:05:52 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

stevetoney

Re: Stage Lip: Cards or Omnis?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
Tough call actually.  Intuitively, I like omni's at the stage lip or on-stage because you like to pick up what's happening on the stage and not be limited by the directionality of the mic capsules.  However, if you feel that the ambience of the instruments from the stage will be drowned out by the volume of the gigantic PAs, then I'm not sure going with the omni's would add much presence because the PA volume would be predominant.  I've run stage lip before when the PA volume is really loud and my recording sounded like crap because it sounded like my mics were distant (which they weren't since the stage volume was low and the PAs were the major sound source that particular setup). In that case, I might opt to back up a little bit in the crowd, go with cards and point them at the PAs.  When you run omni's you always run the risk of picking up more crowd noise from behind, so you also have to take that into consideration regarding whether the volume of the PA speakers will predominate.  My point is that if you aren't gonna be picking up much stage presence with the omni's because of the volume from the PAs, then you might want directional mics to pick up the PA and cut down on the crowd.  However, if you expect that the volume from the stage is good and won't be drowned out by the giant PA speakers, then DEFINITELY go with the omni's and stand at the stage lip.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 03:28:25 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
Tough call actually.  Intuitively, I like omni's at the stage lip or on-stage because you like to pick up what's happening on the stage and not be limited by the directionality of the mic pickups.  However, if you feel that the ambience of the instruments from the stage will be drowned out by the volume of the PAs, then I'm not sure going with the omni's would add much presence because the PA volume would be predominant.  I've run stage lip before when the PA volume is really loud and my recording sounded like crap because it sounded like my mics weren't pointed to the best sound source (which they weren't since the stage volume was low and the PAs were the major sound source that particular setup). In that case, I might opt to back up a little bit in the crowd, go with cards and point them at the PAs.  When you run omni's you always run the risk of picking up more crowd noise from behind, so that's what you have to balance in considering whether the volume of the PA speakers will predominate.  My point is that if you aren't gonna be picking up much stage presence with the omni's because of the volume from the PAs, then you might want directional mics to pick up the PA and cut down on the crowd.  If the volume from the stage is good, then DEFINITELY go with the omni's.

Thanks a lot for your reply. You have a good point, but I'm not sure about the volume stage quality. ;)

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Since you said the mics are hat mounted, I really don't think it will matter all that much since they are going to be somewhat directional in any hat application.

nameloc01

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
O's.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
Since you said the mics are hat mounted, I really don't think it will matter all that much since they are going to be somewhat directional in any hat application.

How come? I don't think I understood you.
Thanks for your reply  ;)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
O's.

Thanks, friend.
Any specific reasons for this choice?

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »
a seated show?  I'd still probably run omnis' , if you have an idea of the artist/crowd/venue relationship.  If they will be respectful and such.  And as for omni's being hat mounted, that exactly how you want them to be, your head will act as a natural buffer.

But granted up front isn't always the place to be.  I taped The Gin Blossoms 3' from the stage, which wasn't the best sounding area, but it was for me to steer clear of the drunks.  The drunks came anyway, and i had lots of wine stains by the end of their set.  None of that last paragraph may have been useful.   ;D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
Well, if you're THAT close, I'd want to grab as much of the entire stage as possible. Now, there *may* be other factors in regards to the stacks, the crowd..but those are "unknowns and maybes"..and I,myself would just go for what I know for sure..that I want to get the whole stage.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 05:31:43 PM »
There's a little joint that I tape at occasionally from the stage lip.  It's a 2-3 foot high stage, so when you are right there at the edge, the stage monitors are actually a few feet below and in front of you.  Of course, they are pointed back toward the band members, but you still catch a LOT of sound from them with a mic placed at head level.

Just another factor to consider ~ the importance of which is largely dependent on the stage setup.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »
Thanks everyone. Yes, it's a seated show. No drunks bumping around, but a lot of talking. That's what I'm trying to avoid. It's a music club for like 300 people. Also, I'm thinking about going stage lip because this venue is not exaclty known for it's sound mix. PA sounds, most of the time, muffled but not terribly loud. It's a Blues, R&B and Jazz club. This is a 4 piece band: 2 guitars, bass and drums. Sounds pretty much like Jim Weider's Project  Percolator.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:17:45 PM by Dede2002 »

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
Tough call actually.  Intuitively, I like omni's at the stage lip or on-stage because you like to pick up what's happening on the stage and not be limited by the directionality of the mic capsules.  However, if you feel that the ambience of the instruments from the stage will be drowned out by the volume of the gigantic PAs, then I'm not sure going with the omni's would add much presence because the PA volume would be predominant.  I've run stage lip before when the PA volume is really loud and my recording sounded like crap because it sounded like my mics were distant (which they weren't since the stage volume was low and the PAs were the major sound source that particular setup). In that case, I might opt to back up a little bit in the crowd, go with cards and point them at the PAs.  When you run omni's you always run the risk of picking up more crowd noise from behind, so you also have to take that into consideration regarding whether the volume of the PA speakers will predominate.  My point is that if you aren't gonna be picking up much stage presence with the omni's because of the volume from the PAs, then you might want directional mics to pick up the PA and cut down on the crowd.  However, if you expect that the volume from the stage is good and won't be drowned out by the giant PA speakers, then DEFINITELY go with the omni's and stand at the stage lip.

What he said.   :)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »

What he said.   :)

Thanks!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:12 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com