Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP CMC-2 vs. SP CMC-8?  (Read 5363 times)

Offline bigu2fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
SP CMC-2 vs. SP CMC-8?
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:42:27 AM »
Folks:

I've got a set of CMC-2 croakie mounted mics with the "low sensitivity modification for very high sound levels." I am thinking about upgrading these mics to something else. I was looking at the specs on the CMC-8 and the CMC-8 doesn't look significantly better in terms of performance than the mics I already have. Am I wrong in how I am interpreting these specs? Are the CMC-8 mics considerably better than the CMC-2 mics?

Any card mic recommendations that would upgrade my CMC-2s but not break the bank? Say, in the under $400 price range. I should add that whatever mics are recommended, they must have the ability to be croakie mounted.

Finally, I have taped a handful of shows, ranging from acoustic acts to Jane's Addiction in May 09 (which was taper friendly). Is the "low sensitivity modification for very high sound levels" option that Sound Professionals offers even worth getting on future mics? I wasn't sure whether I should have gotten that mod.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP CMC-2 vs. SP CMC-8?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:47 AM »
If you tape loud stuff and are worried about distortion, consider Church Audio mics in the retail section of this board.  The CA-11 series can be croakie mounted.  I have the CA-14 series and those are larger and may prove difficult to croakie mount, but I think some on this board may do that and chime in.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:51 AM »
Belexes:

Thanks! I will look into the CA-11 series mics. Do you think they are appreciably better than the CMC-2s? Or, do you think the CMC-8s are significantly better than the CMC-2s? All other things being equal, do you think I will get a significantly better pull with the CA-11s than with the CMC-2s?

Offline Belexes

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:35:19 AM »
I owned the AT943's (CMC-8's), but have no experience with the SP-CMC-2's other than some members here have gotten great recordings with them.  For my ears, the CMC-8's didn't offer enough bass response for my liking.

The Church Audio gear gets fluffed on here for good reason, it gets extremely good results and at a lower cost than the AT gear.  Plus Chris Church stands by his product and will perform repairs should anything arise.

You may want to search the Live Music Archive for comparisons.

All that being said, I own a pair of AT853's and will soon have all 4 interchangable mic capsules.  I like being able to change capsules on the fly.  With the CA-11's you have omni and card caps, and the CA-14's do not have capsules that interchange.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:47:57 AM by Belexes »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline mterry

• recordings
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:11:50 AM »
for the money and size, the SP CMC8s are very good.
plus, i'm selling mine, mounted including glasses and sunglasses for half of your budget :)

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,126296.0.html

Offline bigu2fan

• Taperssection Regular

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »
CMC-2 are AT831, right?  (There is also a CMC-2A, which I believe is different, though I have not seen it.)

If so, I wouldn't expect much difference between these and CMC-8, aka AT943 or AT933.  So no real need to upgrade.

Note that if you want, you can put regular AT853/U853 capsules on those AT831 bodies.  The capsules stick out a bit, but the threads are the same, and they work just fine.

So, just stick with the AT831, and maybe try a few other capsules if you feel like it.  The subcards are recommended by several people here.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »
The subcards are recommended by several people here.

When you're up close in a good sounding venue, the subcards can make some amazing recordings.

Here's a sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qy3gzvoyw5m
AT853 Subcards > MixPre > Korg MR-1
On Stand about 15 feet between both stereo monitors in center.

The occasional noise light noise in the left channel is an old lady clapping along with the music (the performance was at a retirement home).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:11:13 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com