Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices presents the 552 Production Mixer/Recorder  (Read 7444 times)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
Sound Devices presents the 552 Production Mixer/Recorder
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:20:51 PM »
I'll definitely be getting one of these for my video/audio business. It's a shame it only records two tracks, but that is all I need for run & gun video work.
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/552.htm

Sound Devices presents the 552 Production Mixer, the most techologically advanced portable audio mixer ever made. Using the best analog and digital technologies, along with advanced mechanical construction, the 552 gives professionals a superb sounding, compact, lightweight and power-efficient mixer that is equally at home in simple run-and-gun applications or in complex multi-input, multi-output production setups.

The 552 contains five precision high-dynamic-range transformer-balanced microphone inputs with expanded gain and headroom. Each input accepts audio sources of various types and levels. Inputs have their own limiter, sweepable high-pass filter, and pre-or-post-fade direct output.

The 552 has an integrated two-track, digital audio recorder writing industry-standard Broadcast Wave files to SD and SDHC media. A simple joystick controller is used to take command of recording functions. Push up to begin recording. Either WAV or MP3 files can be recorded. Recordings can be either 24 or 16 bit, with WAV files having sampling rates from 44.1 kHz up to 96 kHz.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices presents the 552 Production Mixer/Recorder
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
so it has 5 inputs and 2 of those it will record?
or does it mix the 5 inputs to record 2
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
so it has 5 inputs and 2 of those it will record?
or does it mix the 5 inputs to record 2

You can mix all 5 inputs down to the two record tracks.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
i noticed in another picture that there appears to be something on the top of the box. perhaps a read-out or display for recording? i can't imagine they wouldn't have a display for recording.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
It looks like a marriage of some of the gear they already make.  An off-the-shelf build from proven components with, maybe, some new stuff to tweak it.  My personal experience with this company has been excellent.  Their products are first class as is their support.  I wish you luck, HH, with your new gear.  Keep us posted on how it works and how you like it.  Even though I think we can guess both answers.    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:16:20 PM »
Only problem appears to to be concert length powering.  Looks like that to use external power you'll need a 4pin connector which doesn't lend itself to RA type connectors very well.  Who knows how long the thing will power, mix, output and record on 4 "AA" batteries.   Too bad with this new standard SD form factor they could find a way to integrate the Sony cell powering design like they have on the other SD boxes.

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Only problem appears to to be concert length powering.  Looks like that to use external power you'll need a 4pin connector which doesn't lend itself to RA type connectors very well.  Who knows how long the thing will power, mix, output and record on 4 "AA" batteries.   Too bad with this new standard SD form factor they could find a way to integrate the Sony cell powering design like they have on the other SD boxes.

looks to me like the same 4 pin hirose connector on the 7xx series, easy enough to make a cable and power with an external battery.  I already do that with my 744.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 02:20:48 PM »
looks to me like the same 4 pin hirose connector on the 7xx series, easy enough to make a cable and power with an external battery.  I already do that with my 744.

No doubt, but how far out of your 744 does the Hirose power cable stick out?  If you're trying to stay slim you'd use RA connectors. Is there even a RA Hirose 4pin connector?   Just a thought for those of us running the slimmer Portabrace bags.

Offline hammerhorror

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »
$2,895.00 at Trew Audio. Cheaper than I thought it would be. That's only $400 more than the 442. For an extra $400 you get an extra channel and a built in two track recorder. Not bad.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=1039&cat=49&page=1

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
With its three sets of balanced master outputs (plus numerous unbalanced connections), the 552 provides complete connectivity for multi-camera and complex production setups. Additionally, a digital output option is available for the XLR master outputs. When selected in the Setup Menu, the master XLR outputs can output four channels of 24-bit (or 16-bit) AES/EBU signals, the source of which is selected in the Setup Menu.  

That looks very appealing to me....
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »
"No doubt, but how far out of your 744 does the Hirose power cable stick out?  If you're trying to stay slim you'd use RA connectors. Is there even a RA Hirose 4pin connector?   Just a thought for those of us running the slimmer Portabrace bags."

The Hirose 4-pin used on the SD boxes sticks out about 25mm.  If you chop the connector I'd think you could get that under 20mm pretty easy.  However, the 552 is already bigger than a 788T, which in turn is bigger than a 744.  So if you are trying to cram the 552 in a bag that just fits a 744, you're probably going to have a problem regardless of how far the Hirose sticks out.

The 552 does not appear to have redundant recording media, nor does it have FireWire or USB connectivity.  It's AD is about 2 bits noisier than a 702 or 744, and about 3 bits noisier than a 788T.  So this does appear to be a mixer that can also record rather than a recorder with a built-in mixer.

This is not to say that the 552 doesn't look like a fine unit; I'm just pointing out some of its differences compared to the SD 7xx boxes.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
Anyone know where I can find a link of a picture showing the top panel for this mixer/recorder?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:11:59 PM by scyue »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline boojum

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »
Maybe buying a bigger bag would solve the problem?
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
$2,895.00 at Trew Audio. Cheaper than I thought it would be. That's only $400 more than the 442. For an extra $400 you get an extra channel and a built in two track recorder. Not bad.

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=1039&cat=49&page=1

And A/D converter with digital out...I'm curious if it would sound any different to the 442>722 combo. Might do a test when it comes out. Anyone knows the date of release?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 08:43:46 AM »
"Anyone knows the date of release?"

Various web sites are advertising the 552 for sale.  Nic Stage of Sound Devices says that units will start shipping in October.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com