Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H2 - problem with SD card or something else?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Luke82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H2 - problem with SD card or something else?
« on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
Hi,
I use Zoom for about 1.5 year and just for about 2 months with Church preamp and mics (btw they are great ). But some month ago I recorded show with 'line in' and transcend 2GB sd card (never problems with this) and something happened wrong at the end of the recording when I check on PC - lots of distortion in few minutes and then they are gone. After this I supposed maybe some speakers have troubles on this gig - but thats was a stupid think. So I record week later another one gig but with Kingston card and everythink was ok.
But after this gig line-in stop working :/ (earlier had some problems with contacts with this socket)

Some days ago the same happened what I mentioned above even when I record with mic-in and transcend card (from this gig all below samples). And once again day later I recorded another show with  kingston card without problems (audio synched with video http://www.vimeo.com/7384847 )
I never changed my recording position, near 'Mr Acoustician' and far away from scene. battery ni-mh fully louded. SD cards always formated. CA-9100 about 11o'clock.

Screen shoots to show You guys what I'm talking about:
both channels in cue1 and cue2 include distortions

part of spectral view

Sampel to recognize problem (raw file, wave 8mb), first half clean and then distorted.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=17RDQOYV

This is realy silly thinking that the problem is in SD card, right? Maybe time to change Zoom to another recorder :-\ ? I'm realy gratefull for any opinions, help, assistance.
For 3 days I will record the same band and realy scare what happened :-\ But this time I will record on another sd card.

Sorry for my bad english.

Offline bucsab12

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom H2 - problem with SD card or something else?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
I am not sure about the distortion that you are describing but the Zoom is a very cheap product with poor build quality and my guess is that it is responsible for the issues that you've experienced.

I have had a Zoom for a couple of months. I have used custom built mics and battery box through the line in socket. After only a few times that I have used the device, one of the channels on the line in socket died so I could only record mono. I was so angry because I have really handled it with care so breaking down like that after a few days was unacceptable.

I didn't want to receive a replacement unit, and returned it for a partial refund. Now I am trying to decide between the Edirol R09-HR and the Sony PCM-M10 as an upgrade. If money is not a problem I may suggest that you buy one as well.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
I've had an H2 since they first came out and, knock on wood, my H2 is still chugging along though I don't use it much now (moved up to an R-44). I even sent it flying once by accidentally knocking off a bar onto a concrete floor and it still keeps going. I've recorded dozens of shows with it in the past and used it just last week for a low profile gig. I too added a Church-Audio preamp and mics which greatly improved the sound and versatility of the H2.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Luke82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:46 PM »
agrr, thanks for any reply - well, for 2 days I will record in new card and suppose soon buy something better then H2 (still don't know: well know edirol or to wait for some reviews for new sony's M10) Thx !

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:37:21 AM »
try the new h4n, it looks nice, i have never had a problem though with my h2 and the built in mics, i usually get good recordings on it, except when i forget to turn recording volume to the lowest for concerts, then i get the clipping from user error

good luck with your h2 or new device
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:36:25 AM »
While moving up to a better recorder is a good thing and recommended, I'd still keep the H2 if its working. I keep mine in the car for a backup or for a spur of the moment recording. With the Church-audio add ons, I can run a second rig if needed. Plus I have used the H2 as an adjunct to my R-44. I set the R-44 to line out stereo mixed from the four input channels to give me a rough recording I can hand the band at the end of the night if they want it.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com