Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity level questions  (Read 3926 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Audacity level questions
« on: November 04, 2009, 01:41:45 PM »
so i've noticed a reoccurring issue with my recordings - they're all coming in a bit quiet. 

On the actual recording side, I'm not as concerned as the sound is good - and the shows have been on the quieter side.  I've been running levels (CA14 -> CA9100 -> Tascam DR07) to about -5db, or as close to clipping as I could. 

When I do my post processing in audacity i'm amplifying to -0db & not allowing clipping, but in general it's not boosting enough.  I think it's b/c a few peaks are limiting the boost, and therefore the bulk of the recording doesn't get increased.

So I tried amping to +5 db, and even +10 & allowing clipping.  The +5 sounds good, with no noticeable clipping.  +10 does, though it does distort a bit in the really loud sections.  The waveforms look like it should be clipping all over the place, but its not as bad as what they show. 

Finally, to summarize - my ears are telling me something different than my eyes.  I guess I'm just looking to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with Audacity.  It would be nice if I could just amp to +0 and have it be good to go.  I understand why it's not, but at the same time I don't really get why the waveform shows that it should be clipping more than it is. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Audacity level questions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »
so i've noticed a reoccurring issue with my recordings - they're all coming in a bit quiet. 

On the actual recording side, I'm not as concerned as the sound is good - and the shows have been on the quieter side.  I've been running levels (CA14 -> CA9100 -> Tascam DR07) to about -5db, or as close to clipping as I could. 

When I do my post processing in audacity i'm amplifying to -0db & not allowing clipping, but in general it's not boosting enough.  I think it's b/c a few peaks are limiting the boost, and therefore the bulk of the recording doesn't get increased.

So I tried amping to +5 db, and even +10 & allowing clipping.  The +5 sounds good, with no noticeable clipping.  +10 does, though it does distort a bit in the really loud sections.  The waveforms look like it should be clipping all over the place, but its not as bad as what they show. 

Finally, to summarize - my ears are telling me something different than my eyes.  I guess I'm just looking to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences with Audacity.  It would be nice if I could just amp to +0 and have it be good to go.  I understand why it's not, but at the same time I don't really get why the waveform shows that it should be clipping more than it is. 

Thanks for the feedback!

do some research on compression and limiting, and I suspect you will be happier then you are now. Second, you probably don't want to amp it to 0, but just under it. Various DACs whether it's in a CD player or your soundcard or in your card respond differently, so it may be ok in one and not in another.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
cool - looks like a lot of good info on those things...I'll check 'em out.

Thank you-

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you using the Amplify tool properly? It will automatically suggest the amount of gain need to reach 0db. Dont change that value. Just make sure the "Dont allow clipping" box is checked.

If there are just a few peaks holding back the overall amplification - just manually reduce them with the amplify tool (insert negative values) - and them amplify the whole wav back to 0.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
If there are just a few peaks holding back the overall amplification - just manually reduce them with the amplify tool (insert negative values) - and them amplify the whole wav back to 0.

Compression and limiting generally work much easier and smoother then just raw amplification. Less risk that you overshoot or create odd volume envelopes.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

runonce

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »

Compression and limiting generally work much easier and smoother then just raw amplification. Less risk that you overshoot or create odd volume envelopes.

Understood and agree - but often you'll see sets that have like 2 or 3 big moments. I find most quick reductions - like 3-5db - up to a half second is inaudible (without and envelope to mask it) - leave the rest raw - and amp it. Quick and dirty - but I think compression/limting might be overkill for just few peaks that holding back the overall amplification.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
but I think compression/limting might be overkill for just few peaks that holding back the overall amplification.

In that case, one could simply compress or limit just the few peaks.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »
It's more than just a few - and it's not like it's a clapper or something - it's all music.  Visually, there are a lot of peaks in the waveform - but even when they get "cut off" in the frame, they don't necessarily clip.  It's weird - I'm not a total newbie to this, but I've never seen this. 

I need to do more research...

Thanks for all the help all-

runonce

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:06 AM »
It's more than just a few - and it's not like it's a clapper or something - it's all music.  Visually, there are a lot of peaks in the waveform - but even when they get "cut off" in the frame, they don't necessarily clip.  It's weird - I'm not a total newbie to this, but I've never seen this. 

I need to do more research...

Thanks for all the help all-

Sounds like you really want to use RMS amplification - like Soundforges Wavehammer or something like that. I dont think Audacity has anything like that. - But maybe check their plug-in page.

You can try the compressor - but not sure that thing has ever worked in Audacity.

Might help to see a screenshot of the wav...

runonce

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:21:31 AM »
but I think compression/limting might be overkill for just few peaks that holding back the overall amplification.

In that case, one could simply compress or limit just the few peaks.

I suppose - but that Audacity compressor is flaky and has about 4 settings to worry about - compared to one setting using the Amplify tool. Just trying to keep it simple. But - sounds like the guy has more peaks than this technique would accommodate.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:39:40 PM »
any free / inexpensive software recommendations that will do a better job than audacity? 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »
any free / inexpensive software recommendations that will do a better job than audacity? 

Check this forum's sticky post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com