Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best affordable bit bucket option  (Read 3446 times)

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
Best affordable bit bucket option
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:33:19 PM »
Just curious what folks think is the best affordable 2-track/24 bit recorder these days that has a digital input?  Seems like most of the smaller recorders I've looked into only have analog input and would force me to utilize their internal A/D...I'm not that psyched on that option and would just as soon keep using my AD2K+.  I usually record on my laptop and since switching to a Mac, I'm awaiting a Motu I bought which will be how I do most of my recording, but there are always situations where that's too much gear, so I want a plan B recorder.  As a result, I don't really want to shell out a ton of $$ since I won't use it that much.  Just kind of surprised a digital input seems like such a rarity on most smaller/less expensive recorders.  What do people see as the less expensive yet reliable options for a bit bucket these days? 
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Best affordable bit bucket option
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
well, you're options are basically the M-Audio Microtrack II, the Marantz PMD-661, and the Sony D50.

I don't like the internal battery of the Microtrack II, and I had a bad feeling about M-Audio in general after using the original Microtrack.  Other people have had good experiences with the Microtrack II, but in my opinion, it's not a rock-solid recording device.

The Sony D50's digital input is via optical, which I find is not too convenient in the field, especially if you're A/D converter doesn't have optical out and you need to deal with a coax to optical format converter.  one more box to carry around, and it's a hassle.  FWIW, the AD2K does not have an optical output.

The Marantz PMD-661 is a great deck, with a coax S/PDIF input.  and in my experience over the past 7 or 8 months, has been rock solid.

for a little more money then the three decks listed above, you've also got the following options:
Marantz PMD-671, Tascam HD-P2, and the Edirol R-44.
All of these are also larger decks, but have more features.  for example, the HD-P2 has word clock ins/outs, so it's very easy to sync to other decks.  and the R-44 is a 4 channel recorder, so that also opens up a lot of options.

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »
Cool - thanks for the input Jason.  I agree with you about optical inputs...I was never fond of them before and can't really see why they are still around - seem like a potential weak link compared to S/PDIF/coax.  I guess at least Sony did away with the 7-pin, speaking of PITA digital connectors to deal with, but switching to optical isn't a great improvement IMO.  I'll check out the Marantz decks.

Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
I have had good luck with the 661, plus you can get a mod by oade and or busman.  Oade does the mod for about $50 more above regular price.  if you are able to run xlr into if for soundbaords, i belive a get the benefit of the modification.  a little more than a bit bucket, but there does not seem to be a good bit bucket option.

also good for an occasional low-pro application as it has a pre.  good luck. 

richard 

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:07:54 AM »
Which mod do people recommend with the 661?  Seems Oade has three options and I'm not sure what mods Busman does.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »
If you just want a bit bucket, why would you want to mod it?
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:26:37 AM »
there is no reason to get the deck modded, if you are only going to be using the digital input.

I personally own an Oade modded (concert mod) 661, because I run my mcis straight into it most of the time and I like the Oade mod.  However, I use the digital input a lot when transferring DATs, and also, from time to time, I'll borrow outboard gear (most recently, for Phish in portland, I borrowed Lynchie's V3 and AD2K).  So I can speak from experience when I say that the deck works great as a bit-bucket when using the digital input.

All that said, for the relatively minor cost of the mods, if you think you might use the deck on it's own every now and again (without outboard gear), then it might be worthwhile to have it modded.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Sermon8r

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
@dgale - I have a practically new 661 that needs a new home. If you are interested in a great deal, PM me. Thanks!

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:51:46 AM »

Because there are inevitably situations where I might run it on it's own if I like the way the pre and A/D sound and need/want to run less gear or go low key...just trying to understand the machine and if such a mod is worth the $$ for the occasional times I might use it that way.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 09:09:47 PM »

Because there are inevitably situations where I might run it on it's own if I like the way the pre and A/D sound and need/want to run less gear or go low key...just trying to understand the machine and if such a mod is worth the $$ for the occasional times I might use it that way.

Dan,
you would only want to mod it if you would be using the built in mic pres, that I think its obvious.
The Oades are upstanding and stand behind their work, however they only mod deck purchased thru them.
Busman (Chris) will mod most any deck - purchased anywhere- he does not sell decks - only his line of mics
he too is upstanding and stands behind his work. a great guy.
his mod page is here:
http://www.busmanaudio.com/mods.html

I beleive he can also mod other decks - he offered to mod my MOTU ultralite - so he could figure out another unit to mod. however the pres in it are faily nice- I am sure that replacing some suff in it would make the analog input stage better.
but
mostly not I am using my all in one Fostex FR2-LE - (no digi ins)  some time I want to have him mod it - becaus eI know it will sound infintly better.

all that said- if you are never gonna use the pres in the unit - don't mod it
but of you might be in a situation that you need to be low profile, than a mod is inorder...

I'm sure you alredy know this..

peace
& Happy holidays
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com