Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorders capable of being an audio interface  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recorders capable of being an audio interface
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:17:03 AM »
Hi guys, is the Zoom H2 the only recorder cabable of being an audio interface ?
The things that this guy does are really interesting, and I want to do the same.. but I'd prefer not to buy the H2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPHqJ28KyYY

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recorders capable of being an audio interface
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:58:19 AM »
If you get a sound card for your computer that accepts S-P/DIF signals (coax or optical), you can use almost any digital recorder as the front end for your computer, provided that it has a digital output.

I'd recommend that over a USB connection any day--I've had nothing but problems with USB interfaces, though to be fair, my laptop is an old clunker with USB 1.1 (gasp!). Still, USB 1.1 should easily be able to handle two or four channels of 16 bit, 44.1 kHz recording, according to its on-paper specifications.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recorders capable of being an audio interface
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
If you get a sound card for your computer that accepts S-P/DIF signals (coax or optical), you can use almost any digital recorder as the front end for your computer, provided that it has a digital output.

I'd recommend that over a USB connection any day--I've had nothing but problems with USB interfaces, though to be fair, my laptop is an old clunker with USB 1.1 (gasp!). Still, USB 1.1 should easily be able to handle two or four channels of 16 bit, 44.1 kHz recording, according to its on-paper specifications.

my egosys u2a handled 2 channel 16/44 without a hitch running into usb 1.1 on a pentium 3 766.. so it is possible absolutely..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com