Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transferring DATs from Tascam to MacBook  (Read 2088 times)

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Transferring DATs from Tascam to MacBook
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
Okay, so I think this is what I need to transfer DATs from my Tascam DA-20mkII (which has a digital coaxial out) to my MacBook (which has a digital optical in):

1.  digital coaxial interconnect cable
2.  coaxial-optical converter*
3.  TOSlink fiberoptic optical cable
4.  TOSlink to miniplug adapter

* such as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Midiman-M-Audio-Coaxial-Bi-Directional-Converter/dp/B00006J074

Once I get everything set up, I should be able to input into an audio editing program such as Sound Studio, right?

Just wanted to double check with those more knowledgeable that I, before plunking down the cash for the box and cables.

Thanks in advance...
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Transferring DATs from Tascam to MacBook
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »
You got it.  If it matters to you, you might want to research whether the unit resamples as some do.

If you have a ton of DATs to do, maybe look into a DDS drive...

keytohwy

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
Good point.  The files are 16/48 and I'd rather not resample to 44.1 unless the need arises...
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 10:09:59 AM »
Good point.  The files are 16/48 and I'd rather not resample to 44.1 unless the need arises...

i think what he's getting at is that some digital converters (from coax>optical or vice versa) will resample regardless of whether you are changing sample rates. Sort of like going digital>analog>digital (in an oversimplification). If that bothers you, then I'd echo the sentiments and suggest a little more research. There is some information here on TS.com about units which do and don't. Best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 01:43:57 PM »

i think what he's getting at is that some digital converters (from coax>optical or vice versa) will resample regardless of whether you are changing sample rates. Sort of like going digital>analog>digital (in an oversimplification). If that bothers you, then I'd echo the sentiments and suggest a little more research. There is some information here on TS.com about units which do and don't. Best of luck.

I think the OP was indicating that he wanted to archive the DATs at 48khz to preserve them at that rate, not drop them down to Red Book.

That being said, he definately should be concerned about the resampling issue as far as bit accuracy, because true cloning of digital audio requires the recording device to lock on to the digital clock of the playback device, something I expect is not something every PC based system can do.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
The Mac is bit perfect, for whatever is fed into it.  Again, the weak link can be the coax>optical converter.

To the OP, I have one of these lying around somewhere, unused.  If you are still in need, let me know...

keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com