Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Opinions for best bang for buck, most versatile mics to run onstage  (Read 1948 times)

Offline bgreen

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live music taper and archivist
    • Live Music Preservation Project
I'm in a situation where I'm going to be able to try out some different rigs for running 4 to 8 channels at some indoor and outdoor events where I will have the opportunity to run a set of mics onstage. I know it's all very subjective, but would love to hear what others are using and believe to be the best band for buck all around onstage mics. Genres will run the full spectrum so they have to be versatile.  I've been pouring through mic specs, but would like to look at all my options before pulling the trigger.  Thanks in advance.

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Opinions for best bang for buck, most versatile mics to run onstage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
I gotta toss in the akg 414 B-xls's. Not sure what your budget is, they are by no means cheap, but in the bang for the buck category I feel they definitely do well with 5 patterns. Another suggestion might be a pair of shure ksm32's, they may not have the patterns but they aren't any stranger to stages. They're some good workhorse mics. I think I'm siding towards large diaphragm but I don't honestly have enough on-stage experience to say whether LD or SD would be better. Hope this helps(some).

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
I think I'm gonna give the r0de nt2000's a whirl. The 414's were what I was looking at, but the specs and the price look good on the nt200, worth a shot. I'm gonna need a few pairs so if they don't pan out, I'll go for the 414's  :)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
LOL, similar thread here! > http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132584.0
Won't repeat my post in this thread, but while I like what I've heard from both mics I'm partial to the 414's as I've used them a lot in both studio and live settings.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
How big is that buck?  That would help to know.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
Ran the Church CAFS onstage last week and they were great. So tiny, easy to place anywhere.

jnorman34

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
in nashville productions for tv and radio, you always see lots of audio technica mics on stage. 

Offline bgreen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
414XLS won due to inclement weather and not being able to get to pick up the rhodes. Man I love em. Ran the 414's at stage lip as omni one night, wide cards the second split about 10' along with pulling the sbd, and a set of nak 300's with cp-2's clamped 3 feet in front of stage about 8 foot up dead center and I couldn't be happier.

The 414's are worth every red cent and may just have swayed me towards mor AKG mics  :D

Anybody looking for a set, full compass is selling a matched stereo pair for mid $1800 to close out the older model.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:42:11 AM by bgreen »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com