Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fostex FR2 LE  (Read 9508 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Fostex FR2 LE
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:59:52 AM »
Hello all,

I know this is a ancient recorder, surely there're lots of threads about it, but can anyone point strenghts and problems with it, in a simple manner? Preamps noise, battery, handling in the field... I'll be recording mostly outdoors, nature stuff, ambients and Fx, perhaps some concerts, main mics: shure VP88, MS AKG blue line pair ck91/94, rode NTG3... The obviuos choice would be a SD 702, but is too much for may budget... I recorded during 3 weeks with a SD722, and... it's a dream machine... but way out my budget...

Thanks,
CS
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Fostex FR2 LE
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:26:48 AM »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »
Thank you, lots of reading...

But they all seem very concert tapping oriented...

thanks Eric,
CS
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
But they all seem very concert tapping oriented...

That's the bulk of what we do here though.  :)

The FR2-LE is a bit bulky in size. I had a Busman mod done to mine, but I believe someone here did an A-B comparison with a stock model and it was tough to tell the difference. Many use a 7.2v battery to run it.  It's either that or lithium AA's.

I was looking for an all-in-one that was something less than the price point of the SD7xx's.  It fits the bill, however the Marantz 661 was not on the market when I bought my FR2-LE.  Users here like it right out of the box, so it's another recorder to consider.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:28:53 AM »
And what about preamps, comparing 661 with the FR2 LE?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:18 AM »
I know this is a ancient recorder.....

Not at all, only a couple of years.

When I reviewed it for LineUp magazine I said it was probably the cheapest recorder that could be called "professional".

It is a very nice machine for the price - the closest other being the Tascam HD-P2 - the mic. pres. are very nice for the price and is quite capable of doing quite serious stuff.

If you can't afford an SD 702 or a Nagra LB it's a good little beastie.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »
From what I read here and all over the net, you only go from the FR2 LE to a SD, the Tascam sits more less halfway, costing much more and not adding significative features (only perhaps TC), and reminds me of my ancient DA-P1, sturdy, but huge to carry...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
From what I read here and all over the net, you only go from the FR2 LE to a SD, the Tascam sits more less halfway, costing much more and not adding significative features (only perhaps TC), and reminds me of my ancient DA-P1, sturdy, but huge to carry...

I'd agree with that statement.

I ran the fostex and now have a 722. My opinion: for nature recording, if you have really low self-noise mics and will be recording quiet stuff, then consider a preamp to go with it, otherwise for general urban soundscapes (or nature stuff which won't require quite as much gain), I'd be ok with it.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:05 AM »
I love my furtoolee.  great price point, super easy to use, runs forever on a 7.2 racecar battery, great specs out of the box.  the only thing I'd like to see on it is a digi in/out - which isn't an issue for you.

for nature/ambient recording a preamp would help, or consider the oade super mod for an all in one solution at a lower price point.  It's said to be designed just for your application, and you gotta love the single box application:

http://oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/FR-2LE_upgrades.html

the oade brothers are legendary in this community.  in addition to upgrading the op amps, caps, etc., there's a certain mojo to an oade "performance enhanced" recorder.

busman and others in these parts can also do similar mods.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »
The FR2-LE is a good choice if you need quiet preamps and XLR inputs
with phantom power.  The similarly priced Marantz PMD661 deserves
consideration if you also are interested in SPDIF digital input.  Both the
PMD661 and FR2-LE are available from Oade with preamp upgrade if you
think you need to improve the preamp further.

Flintstone
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:19:43 PM by flintstone »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »
If you decide on the 2le and you obtain/acquire it, read the post below about the stock vs. mod. it was my unmodified 2le that was tested.

I think a lot of people are thrown off by the 2le because of the noisy, hissy headphone amp but I don't expect it to be hissy when you're actually recording.

Stock FR2LE vs. Busman T-Mod FR2LE true side by side comparison
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
Thank you for all your inputs, oade brothers is out of my league, only american continent, I live in europe... and to pay for that I would think twice about going SD...  I want a all-in-one machine, for other stuff, I have the zoom H4n and the MT ring... I really don't like Marantz stuff (very subjective here... sorry, but they built for reporters... only my opinion...) a few years ago I tested the 660, very bad preamps (hissy) and clipping all over the place... I didn't test the 661 (different build up)... I'm more and more on the way to the Fostex...

Thank you all for your time, it's always a pleasure to be in this forum,
CS

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
Chiming in to say I love my stock FR2LE too.  I wish there was a way to lock down the level controls (although they're reasonably well protected from unintentional bumps), otherwise it's all I could ask for from a 2-channel device at or anywhere near its price range.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 08:21:16 PM »
Just FYI for others who are willing to consider Marantz: 
The PMD661 is quite a bit better than the PMD660.

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
i think the fr2le is a great box.  all the recordings i made with it sounded great (save for user error).

one big plus of the le over other models is the battery life.  it has battery life more comprable to a pcmd50 than any marantz box.

though it is plastic, it still feels solid.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com