Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09hr settings?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Jerseyboy

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Regular
Edirol R-09hr settings?
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
Hey!

I'm perplexed...do those switches on the back of the r-09hr have an affect on the "line-in"  jack?  I had the wierdest experience thte other night.  I was trying to reduce the record level ( the hold button was not ON) and it was not working at ALL! I mean I was coming down from 77 to 24 and nothing!  I had to go to the pre-amp and back off there to  get a response on the VU.  during the intermission. I was hitting a few switches in the dark at a crowded table not knowing which made a real difference excepte maybe "plug-in power".
In the end I noticed the opening act had nice bass and the headliner had no bass at all.

I'm running Church's Ca-14's and the pre-amp that comes with it.    I don't know if I like them...I don't if they're working right.  I think I pissed him off...I'm on his shitlist or something.  All I know is this is wierd.

Any thoughts on the Edirol switches and how they should be set for this rig?

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09hr settings?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
May be a dumb question....but were you adjusting the INPUT LEVEL or the VOLUME?  The input level is what you want -- the volume is for playback.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »

When I had that deck, I shut all the switches to "off" and then gaff taped the back so nothing could be changed accidentally.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56:12 PM »
May be a dumb question....but were you adjusting the INPUT LEVEL or the VOLUME?  The input level is what you want -- the volume is for playback.

This is actually an easy mistake to make if you're taping incognito in a dark venue. Have you tested everything at home to see if the problem has persisted?
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 02:58:46 PM »
Hey!

I'm perplexed...do those switches on the back of the r-09hr have an affect on the "line-in"  jack?  I had the wierdest experience thte other night.  I was trying to reduce the record level ( the hold button was not ON) and it was not working at ALL! I mean I was coming down from 77 to 24 and nothing! I had to go to the pre-amp and back off there to  get a response on the VU.  during the intermission. I was hitting a few switches in the dark at a crowded table not knowing which made a real difference excepte maybe "plug-in power".
In the end I noticed the opening act had nice bass and the headliner had no bass at all.

I'm running Church's Ca-14's and the pre-amp that comes with it.    I don't know if I like them...I don't if they're working right.  I think I pissed him off...I'm on his shitlist or something.  All I know is this is wierd.

The hold switch would mean you cannot make any changes like reducing the input, stopping the recording, or even starting the recording.

matt asks a good question, you need to make sure you were adjusting the INPUT and not the volume since that would only change the output level.

Even if you pissed Church off, he doesn't have anything to do with the way you operate your 09hr.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »

When I had that deck, I shut all the switches to "off" and then gaff taped the back so nothing could be changed accidentally.

Belexes is exactly right. As to whether Chris is "pissed off" at you or not, I would humbly suggest that posting on a public forum that his product "isn't working right" and then proceeding to tell everyone that you don't really know what you're doing is probably not the most productive way to get Chris - or anyone who makes a product - to help you.   ::)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies..I would gaff tape, but I need that HOLD switch..Now that I think about it...there was a flashing speaker icon on the screen when I was trying to reduce the record level...that would indicate "volume level".  Now I have to try and figure out how I lost the low end on my recording?  Does "plug-in power" affect the line-in ?  and would that cut BASS?  If you turn OFF the "low cut" are you cutting off the bass frequencies?   And the Church comment is there only because my emails are blocked now.  I know Chris is on this site and I've purchased several rigs from him and sent many people his way over the years.   I own the very 1st cards he made. I would like to send some stuff to be repaired...just trying to reach out in my own special way >:D
jb

Belexes is exactly right. As to whether Chris is "pissed off" at you or not, I would humbly suggest that posting on a public forum that his product "isn't working right" and then proceeding to tell everyone that you don't really know what you're doing is probably not the most productive way to get Chris - or anyone who makes a product - to help you.   ::)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
If you turn OFF the "low cut" are you cutting off the bass frequencies?

With low cut OFF, you are recording all of the frequencies that make their way to the recorder.  If you turn the low cut ON, you're filtering out everything below a certain frequency (I can't recall what that frequency is, off the top of my head).  This low cut is sometimes called a high-pass filter, since the higher frequencies "pass" through unaffected while the filter acts on the low frequencies.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »

With low cut OFF, you are recording all of the frequencies that make their way to the recorder.  If you turn the low cut ON, you're filtering out everything below a certain frequency (I can't recall what that frequency is, off the top of my head).  This low cut is sometimes called a high-pass filter, since the higher frequencies "pass" through unaffected while the filter acts on the low frequencies.

the low cut filter would affect frequencies from 100, 200, and 400. On the back of the unit, i leave this off.

And the Church comment is there only because my emails are blocked now.

If by emails you mean PMs it is because your posting level is very low. try sending me or someone else a PM (private message) and see if we receive it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »

"If by emails you mean PMs it is because your posting level is very low. try sending me or someone else a PM (private message) and see if we receive it."

I'm referring to Chris' home/business email address...not here.

Thanks for your help..anyways!

Still waiting on the "plug-in" power answer.  My guess is that it would apply to the Mic input only and the "line-in" input.

the low cut filter would affect frequencies from 100, 200, and 400. On the back of the unit, i leave this off.

And the Church comment is there only because my emails are blocked now.

If by emails you mean PMs it is because your posting level is very low. try sending me or someone else a PM (private message) and see if we receive it.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:29:49 PM »
Quote from: Jerseyboy link=topic=134961.msg1761446#msg1761446 date=1272909198[/quote

Thats what I do too.  Actually gaffers tape wasn't permanent enough--used electrical tape. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »
Does "plug-in power" affect the line-in ?  and would that cut BASS?  If you turn OFF the "low cut" are you cutting off the bass frequencies?

Have you bothered to read the manual?  Because that is all in there, clear as day.

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Does "plug-in power" affect the line-in ?  and would that cut BASS?  If you turn OFF the "low cut" are you cutting off the bass frequencies?

Have you bothered to read the manual?  Because that is all in there, clear as day.

WOW! There's a novel idea!  Then they invented "Ask The Tapers" for busy people like me who buried their manuals in their closets with the boxes after reading them upon purchase.  Then there's guys like you who could write a productive response here, but chose to leave a smart-ass -albeit accurate- comment here that does me absolutely no good.

With comments like these who needs the convenience & community spirit of "ASK THE TAPERS".

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »

WOW! There's a novel idea!  Then they invented "Ask The Tapers" for busy people like me who buried their manuals in their closets with the boxes after reading them upon purchase.  Then there's guys like you who could write a productive response here, but chose to leave a smart-ass -albeit accurate- comment here that does me absolutely no good.

With comments like these who needs the convenience & community spirit of "ASK THE TAPERS".
[/quote]

I think you're confusing "Ask the Tapers" with "Read the manual to me, I'm busy"..

You might try google.  The manual is the first link that comes up.

Why did you say Chris blocked your emails?

Offline Jerseyboy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »

I think you're confusing "Ask the Tapers" with "Read the manual to me, I'm busy"..

You might try google.  The manual is the first link that comes up.

Why did you say Chris blocked your emails?
[/quote]

Dear Mr. Lunch,
Do yourself a favor a follow your own advice and "get out more often"!   There really is much better things to do than surf these chat rooms looking to break balls.   Try and find yourself a girl...get laid...leave the keyboard alone for while.

I'm moving on now...you have fun...Mr. Lunch.

To the others who actually took the time to write constructive and helpful replies to my questions ...I thank you very much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com