Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help needed unpdating DR-680 firmware  (Read 9115 times)

Offline groovon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
Help needed unpdating DR-680 firmware
« on: July 02, 2010, 03:32:26 AM »
I downloaded the compressed file off the Tascam site, DR-680 page. DR-680-v110.zip.tgz
A .tgz file. Never heard of it. Couldn't unzip it with my regular unzipping programs, so I searched and downloaded 'quickzip' freeware (the other unzippers seem to cost $30 and up).
Can't figure this out. You'd think it should just work, but nothing seems to be unzipping or installing...

Anybody here done this yet? What unzipper did you use? What do you do with the file? I can't see any firmware update instructions on the Tascam site either.   ???

Thanks!
Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:14:27 PM by groovon »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Help needed unpdating DR-680 firmware
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:30:01 AM »
Not sure if this is your answer, but normally I put the zip file on your media (SD card) then put the card in your recorder, find  update firmware in your menu and the recorder will unzip the file and update the firmware.

I don't have that recorder (yet), so I'm not sure, but I have updated other recorders firmware in that fashion.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
That looks like it! Thanks. I'll let you know if it works.

Dave

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »
Not sure if this is your answer, but normally I put the zip file on your media (SD card) then put the card in your recorder, find  update firmware in your menu and the recorder will unzip the file and update the firmware.

I don't have that recorder (yet), so I'm not sure, but I have updated other recorders firmware in that fashion.

Thanks. If the file doesn't need unzipping then that might solve my main problem here. It looks like you just connect the recorder via USB and transfer the downloaded file into an existing 'Utilities' folder.

fingers crossed*****

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
Copied unzipped file into DR-680s 'Utilities' folder, started machine as directed. PROGRAM UPDATE and downloaded 'v110.zip' file visible on display. Pressed Enter - display says "ERROR, update file". Tried it again from a fresh download, same thing. Tascam Service is on vacation.

Any ideas?

[PS - I tried a bunch of other things with the file, but always get the same error message.]

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:20:17 PM by groovon »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »
Where did you get the 110.zip.tgz file - tascam.de or tascam.com? Language could make a difference.

I just downloaded DR-680_v110.zip from http://tascam.com/i-3921-232-128-0-01455580.zip and there is no .tgz extension anywhere that I can find. Maybe redownload and try the update again.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:38:49 PM by flipp »

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
Where did you get the 110.zip.tgz file - tascam.de or tascam.com? Language could make a difference.

I just downloaded DR-680_v110.zip from http://tascam.com/i-3921-232-128-0-01455580.zip and there is no .tgz extension anywhere that I can find. Maybe redownload and try the update again.

Thanks, I'll try your source....

No go - I get .zip.tgz files from that source! Tried it three times... ???  That's weird!
I have a laptop with Vista, dunno if what you're using makes a difference(?)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:57:22 PM by groovon »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
What happens if you delete the .tgz extension (in essence renaming the file) before transferring the files to the UTILITY folder? I'm hesitant to suggest it but I think it will either update the firmware or you'll get the same ERROR message when you hit enter.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
What happens if you delete the .tgz extension before transferring the files to the UTILITY folder? I'm hesitant to suggest it but I think it will either update the firmware or you'll get the same ERROR message when you hit enter.

That's one of the things I tried. Still get same 'error'. (As it's being downloaded and just after, it shows on the desktop bottom corner as a .zip.tgz file. Accessed in Documents, it loses the .tgz off the end, yet it's still described as a .tgz file in Properties(!)  ???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:06:56 PM by groovon »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
I've got no idea where the .tgz extension is coming from. In Linux, what I use, that extension isn't seen with these update files. I'm wondering if somehow .zip extensions are being saved and associated with another program. I just assumed you were running some version of Windows.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
I've got no idea where the .tgz extension is coming from. In Linux, what I use, that extension isn't seen with these update files. I'm wondering if somehow .zip extensions are being saved and associated with another program. I just assumed you were running some version of Windows.

Yes. Windows Vista. Actually, I thought I'd read that the .tgz was something associated with Linux OS(?)

Thanks!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Also, are you following the steps in the exact order they are listed in the pdf file? When I tried to update one of my Fostexs I thought I could skip a couple of steps since the listed order wasn't the order I used when recording and the instructions seemed to add a few unnecessary steps. The update failed until I went back and added those steps, then the update succeeded on the first attempt. Made me a believer in following instructions to the letter when updating firmware.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 05:16:19 PM »
If you are still unable to update, all I can do is wish you luck as I'm out of ideas.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »
Also, are you following the steps in the exact order they are listed in the pdf file? When I tried to update one of my Fostexs I thought I could skip a couple of steps since the listed order wasn't the order I used when recording and the instructions seemed to add a few unnecessary steps. The update failed until I went back and added those steps, then the update succeeded on the first attempt. Made me a believer in following instructions to the letter when updating firmware.

Pretty much following the Release Notes to the letter. A couple of things don't happen the way described, even so. For instance the unit's supposed to power ON automatically when you disconnect the USB (USB disconnected 'properly' - check), but it doesn't do that. Makes me wonder.

I just tried it again, with the file from  http://tascam.com/i-3921-232-128-0-01455580.zip 

Same error code.  ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com