Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA-14's with clips- hat mounted recording  (Read 1664 times)

Offline disco

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • learning as I go
CA-14's with clips- hat mounted recording
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
I had the chance to get out and use Chris's mics for a dozen or so shows indoor and out, various types of venues, very pleased.
Most of my taping setups are using my mic stand, some sort of rail clamp or getting the mics set up on stage. On stage setups are great as the gear is safe and I'm free to wander or whatever. Using a stand has the advantage of having all my gear close at hand and easy to monitor. For a situation in which an on-stage setup is not possible or using a stand is challenging due to the crowd I'd like to have a third option. I've seen the various hat mounting techniques for lots of folks and think that would be a decent option. When I attached the mics to the TOP of my ball cap (using the clips in those small eyelet openings on the top) a few inches apart I found the noise of contact between the hat/mic caused a great deal of static. Obviously the same thing happened when I tried the inside of the hat. The last two setups I tried were attached to the bill of the hat in an XY type setup and pulling out my shades to clip them there. The XY brim setup worked fine and made the best recording, the glasses attachement seemed to pickup a lot of the noises that I made :)
So my informal experiment yeilded the brim attachment as the best setup. I'm not sure if it's the style of mics that account for the handling/contact noise or if I'm doing something.

For all experiments I used my CA9100->M10. I did tinker with my preamp levels to see if that had something to do withit but it appeared the placement/contact was the key.

Any thoughts on a "best" setup for a hat mount? I'd prefer to use my current hat vs. buying a weird hat setup since this type of setup would be rare for me. Not too partial as to if the mics are concealed or not....thanks
CA-14 (c,o)->9100, Littlebox->M10 or DR-07

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com