Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 103963 times)

Offline Chazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #315 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
aaronji---I got the cable that tgos3 recommended and it works! You are right, tho, that the Shure mic sensitivity is low, so I boosted the record level on the m10 and everything is great now. Thanks for the input.

Part of your problem may also be that those Shure mics are really low sensitivity (0.28 mV/Pa).  By contrast, the MD211 mentioned by tgos3 has a sensitivity of 1.6 mV/Pa.  Sony says in the M10 manual that the mic-in minimum input level is 0.9mV.  That seems like a plausible explanation for the trouble you are having getting adequate levels...

Offline whiskybob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
O.k....My M10 has just arrived from the U.S, looking good except one small question.

The AC Power adapter is a U.S two prong unit
Input : AC120V / ca120V
            60Hz/cc3V  5W
Output : DC3V/cc3V  1A

I also own a Sony Md Nh700 and the AC power adapter has the same fitting plug (yellow) and fits the M10, the info on the plug is as follows

Input : AC100-240V ~
            50/60Hz 5W
Output : DC3V  1A

Both adapters came with the original Sony unit Here's my question.......

Can I use my MD adapter with my M10, I apologies if this is an obvious question but before I plug my beautiful new unit into the mains I want to be sure I'm not gonna fry it!!!

Thanks in advance

David.

Can anyone clarify this for me?
Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
aaronji---I got the cable that tgos3 recommended and it works! You are right, tho, that the Shure mic sensitivity is low, so I boosted the record level on the m10 and everything is great now. Thanks for the input.

My pleasure, of course.  Glad to hear it's all working now!

Can I use my MD adapter with my M10, I apologies if this is an obvious question but before I plug my beautiful new unit into the mains I want to be sure I'm not gonna fry it!!!

You could also get a converter for the US plug.  They're pretty cheap...Another option would be to just use batteries.  The battery life is truly phenomenal, so you won't have to charge too often.  As for the MD adapter, it will probably work, but only one way to know for sure!

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #318 on: May 06, 2011, 09:51:23 AM »

Seconded to using the batteries. They go, and go, and go.

The output of the adapter is what matters. The input is different because your mains are different.

If you look closely at the adapter you'll also see a diagram that looks something like a C with a dot, indicating the polarity of the tip and ring of the plug. As long as they are the same on your two adapters, and it's putting out the same DC current, you're fine. And they should be, since both the MD and the PCM-M10 run on the same two AA batteries.

Offline Muddy Das

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »
i just got my m10 and have been using it at a friends barn on jam nights. I record from the balcony about 30' back dead center, using the built in mics. the sound is really good. the only issue i have is any conversation going on in the balcony come through way to loud. The unit is placed in front of everyone on the handrail mic sensitivity on low. I am thinking this is because of the built in mics are omni's. I am waiting on a pair of sp c-4 coming in the mail. If i use the sp c-4 would this lower the background conversation? Would i need a preamp in this situation or just a battery box? i am thinking battery box since it is very loud. Another thing i am worried about is can being in a smoky room  build up residue on your mics and how to clean it?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
Personally I would say get a pre-amp so when you're in quiet situations you can provide gain to the m10 and not have to worrying about turning the gain up a lot on the recorder. I'm certain smoke can build up on the mics since it builds up on my clothes in a matter of a few hours but I'll have to wait and see how people recommend cleaning the mics. Maybe compressed air or something. As far as the recorder, I would keep it in a bag so it doesn't absorb as much smoke.

Many years ago I bought a radio from someone on ebay and as soon as I opened the packaged, I could tell the person smoked cigars in the same place as the radio. Not pleasant at all.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Personally I would say get a pre-amp so when you're in quiet situations you can provide gain to the m10 and not have to worrying about turning the gain up a lot on the recorder. I'm certain smoke can build up on the mics since it builds up on my clothes in a matter of a few hours but I'll have to wait and see how people recommend cleaning the mics. Maybe compressed air or something. As far as the recorder, I would keep it in a bag so it doesn't absorb as much smoke.

Many years ago I bought a radio from someone on ebay and as soon as I opened the packaged, I could tell the person smoked cigars in the same place as the radio. Not pleasant at all.

I'm pretty sure that would not be the way to go about it!

Using a windscreen seems to at least help with keeping the smoke out...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that would not be the way to go about it!

Using a windscreen seems to at least help with keeping the smoke out...

I was assuming the sp c-4 would already have windscreens. How would you go about cleaning windscreens? If I would used compressed air, I would use common sense and not spray it directly on the mic but around it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
Its DEFINITELY because they're omnis ;) You will need a preamp that has 48v phantom power to properly power the C4's. But once you get the C4's and a preamp[Naiant Littlebox_$250.00-ish], your recordings will get night and day better ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
And I second that you should ALWAYS use windscreens, indoors or outdoors. And clean them by soaking them in warm soapy water and letting them air dry :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
I was assuming the sp c-4 would already have windscreens. How would you go about cleaning windscreens? If I would used compressed air, I would use common sense and not spray it directly on the mic but around it.

Even then, I think you would be running the risk of blowing a particle into your mic.  I have read that you can use a very soft, dry brush to clean the grills (gently, with the mic upside down so that any dislodged particles fall out and not in) but I would be hesitant to try it myself.  There is actually a product specifically for this, Microphome, but no clue how well it works...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #326 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:53 PM »
The Mic senstivity switch on the back of the M10 with a Hi/Lo setting, is this for the internal mics??  TIA
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
The Mic senstivity switch on the back of the M10 with a Hi/Lo setting, is this for the internal mics??  TIA

For the built-ins and for externals run mic-in...

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
So for line in it doesn't have an effect??

For the built-ins and for externals run mic-in...
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #329 on: May 08, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
So for line in it doesn't have an effect??

Nope...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com