Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If your sony pcm-m10 requires clock to be reset each time you power on, what have you done?

Issue went away and clock now functions
6 (24%)
Contacted sony received reply
1 (4%)
contacted sony, no reply
0 (0%)
returned unit and received unit without issue
0 (0%)
other (please specificy)
18 (72%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)  (Read 103980 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 4)
« Reply #330 on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #331 on: May 08, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »
Thats why I clear taped the 3 buttons on the back of my M10
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:18 AM »

I have a problem with my M10...I taped a Jazz Ensemble a while ago...since the band played witout amps...I had to use the full gain on the M10 and the tiny box.  The result was a noticeable hiss.

After testing the eqpuipment ..I discovered that the actual problem is the M10.  It pruduces a constant hiss and once in a while a noticable buzz as well....sounds like a grounding problem...

Has anybody else had the same problem so far.  I have to send it back to Sony or B&H for reapir.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »

I have a problem with my M10...I taped a Jazz Ensemble a while ago...since the band played witout amps...I had to use the full gain on the M10 and the tiny box.  The result was a noticeable hiss.

After testing the eqpuipment ..I discovered that the actual problem is the M10.  It pruduces a constant hiss and once in a while a noticable buzz as well....sounds like a grounding problem...

Has anybody else had the same problem so far.  I have to send it back to Sony or B&H for reapir.

Damn man, that's a huge bummer. I can't believe you had both things MAXED OUT and still didnt get enough gain. I have had to crank my LB up all the way and dont hear a hiss at all. In fact, its just as quiet as my 722, at least IMO!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

what microphones are you using with the tinybox?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #335 on: May 10, 2011, 01:47:17 AM »
I am using DPA 4061 and the CA 14 in line with tinybox and the M10....but I recorded a Blues show last week and tested both mics prior to the show with my CA Ugly and CA 9100 ---> Edirol R09-HR...no problem...a fine recording and no hiss DPA 4061 CA 9100 and the Edirol R09-HR.  I will send the M10 back to B&H or Sony for repair since I bought it with the 3 Year warranty.  Just was curious if other users have discovered a simular problem.

Offline whiskybob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #336 on: May 10, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
O.k, I've now replaced my R09HR for this lovely looking Sony M10 and it certainly looks sexy.
I've set the clock and so far no issues although having purchased via the U.S I don't think I'll bother sending back for a cosmetic
issue, I'll just reset the clock prior to going to the gig...

Just crawled through 4 threads looking for more detailed settings for people recording LINE IN
I'll be using CA11/14's > CA Batt Box > Sony M10 and setting the recorder to 24/48 Rec mode

I will be recording shows in small venues (300) and fairly loud, not Mogwai or My Bloody Valentine loud
but certainly "Rock" loud.

Now, if I'm correct going line in means that all the Mic sens/limiter settings are overridden?
I also read that unity gain is anywhere between 4 and 6, so 5 seems reasonable.
Anything else for me to think about? If you're using your Sony with this sort of set up I'd be interested in
what settings you're using, like I say I've been through all the posts and unless I've missed them there's very little
in the way posts relating to this. Before anyone says about checking levels to get best results...Yes I understand
that in time I'll come to use what works best for me but at this point I'm looking for what works best for people
using this set up here...

Here's something that I've never considered but I see that others record this way

Recording via MIC IN and using the same
CA11/14's > CA Batt Box > Sony M10 and setting the recorder to 24/48 Rec mode

I saw one post that said to turn off the PIP on the recorder and set the MIC SENS to LOW
Can anyone using this method please tell me how they set up via MIC IN and.....

What are the relative benefits/restrictions to both methods, I'm obviously new to this unit and
am using it on Wednesday for the first time so it's important for me to get to grips with the pro/cons of
both these methods, like I say I've always used LINE IN on the Edirol.

Very lastly I picked up a pair of CA1's, I read somewhere that they can be powered without the Batt Box,
obviously I'd need to turn on the pip on the recorder but again does anyone have any thoughts on this method,
personally I don't like to trust this as I'd prefer my mics to be getting some juice via a 9v batt box or pre (CA9100)

Much appreciated

David.
Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #337 on: May 10, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
I am using DPA 4061 and the CA 14 in line with tinybox and the M10....but I recorded a Blues show last week and tested both mics prior to the show with my CA Ugly and CA 9100 ---> Edirol R09-HR...no problem...a fine recording and no hiss DPA 4061 CA 9100 and the Edirol R09-HR.  I will send the M10 back to B&H or Sony for repair since I bought it with the 3 Year warranty.  Just was curious if other users have discovered a simular problem.

Out of curiousity, did you try mics > Church pre > M10?

In line-in, the mic sensitivity won't work, but the limiter still will.  As for mic-in, the M10 is pretty quiet, so you can get good results that way too.  If it is really loud, line-in is better (as you might overload the microphone input).  Moderately loud, you can go either way.  Quiet, go for mic-in.  Also, for me personally, I find 3 or 3.5 is a good place to start with the M10's gain...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #338 on: May 10, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
I recorded saturday w/ my M10 at 3 or 4db gain, adding the rest of the gain from my LittleBox

Offline monkeyguy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »
Ive taped about 5-10m from stack at a loud rock concert using sony ecm-717 > m10 using mic in and PIP on, had it set at level 3 (could of easily gone to 4 or 5 but i play it safe) and had no problems.

This weekend im planning on trying out my CA-14s that i got recently straight into the mic in with PIP on and see how it goes.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
%
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »
Track down some specs. If I remember correctly, ECM-717 have rather low sensitivity. Their frequency response is 100-15000 Hz, which means none of the bass that can distort.

The CA mics are going to have a different sensitivity, and they pick up a full frequency range. Test your method with a loud stereo, or an opening act, rather than risk getting nothing but distortion from a set you want to keep.

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:24 AM »

Out of curiousity, did you try mics > Church pre > M10?

In line-in, the mic sensitivity won't work, but the limiter still will.  As for mic-in, the M10 is pretty quiet, so you can get good results that way too.  If it is really loud, line-in is better (as you might overload the microphone input).  Moderately loud, you can go either way.  Quiet, go for mic-in.  Also, for me personally, I find 3 or 3.5 is a good place to start with the M10's gain...

I recorded some shows with mic in PIP off and had good results..in cases where the source was not loud enogh.  I didn't test the church pre M10 since you can hear the hiss with your headphones ...without connecting any equipment.

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
Just picked one up at B&H. This is gonna be fun.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #343 on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
I just recently grabbed one!  You'll love it.

Just picked one up at B&H. This is gonna be fun.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: %
« Reply #344 on: May 11, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
Track down some specs. If I remember correctly, ECM-717 have rather low sensitivity. Their frequency response is 100-15000 Hz, which means none of the bass that can distort.

The CA mics are going to have a different sensitivity, and they pick up a full frequency range. Test your method with a loud stereo, or an opening act, rather than risk getting nothing but distortion from a set you want to keep.

Just because the ECM-717 is spec'ed to 100 Hz doesn't mean it's not picking up anything below that frequency.  I am pretty sure that you could still distort it at/below that level...

As for sensitivity, I think the Church mics are pretty low sensitivity too (CA-11s seem to be around 6 or 7 mV/Pa).  If that estimate's in the ballpark, they are 3 or 4 dB more sensitive than the Sony mic...

I recorded some shows with mic in PIP off and had good results..in cases where the source was not loud enogh.  I didn't test the church pre M10 since you can hear the hiss with your headphones ...without connecting any equipment.

How'd you get it to record line-in without connecting anything?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com