Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low-Pro Cardoid Mics - Is There An Upgrade Path?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Low-Pro Cardoid Mics - Is There An Upgrade Path?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »
@jamroom:

Go to http://www.archive.org/ and Just type the mentioned mics and you will find plenty of samples to make up your mind about what sound you prefer...

/N

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 09:26:28 AM »
DPA and Schoeps cards? There are a huge number of confusing model numbers. Anything in particular?

This is a great way to go as they sound great, are small enough to be able to easily stealth (the main hindrance is needing a bulkier source for phantom) but are great for open taping as well because of the Kwon/NOLA bars and their small size.  The CCM L series are nice because you can remove the cable and store it in the Schoep plastic vials for humidity-free storage.  Also, the L series uses a non-active cable that you can order with a custom length up to 16ft in length, for a reasonable price around $200 (much less than the KC active cables).  When I got my CCM4s I ordered an extra set of 4ft cables to go with the standard 16ft cables so that I could easily switch between the two for open or stealthing. 

CCM4 (card) and CCM41 (supercards) are probably the best choices if you're just planning for one set, or the CCM5 (card/omni) if you like omnis.  Of course, there are also CCM4v and CCM41v varieties that have a high frequency bump that some people prefer. 

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
@jamroom:

Go to http://www.archive.org/ and Just type the mentioned mics and you will find plenty of samples to make up your mind about what sound you prefer...

/N

Only problem is they will be open recordings, rather than low-pro.  ;D

Thanks for the advice anyway, N. Much appreciated. I need to decide upon budget for mics and pre and then probably go for used, in order to get a better bang for my buck.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
@jamroom:

/N

Only problem is they will be open recordings, rather than low-pro.  ;D

While true, if you are comparing two mics against each other, it doesn't really matter if they are low-profile or not. A is bright then B, B has more detail then C. That sort of thing is what you are looking at.

It's sort of nice when you can find gigs that have multiple tapers in the same vacinity as each other so you can start to eliminate room factors from sound signature. Baring that, it's an uphill battle to compare gear IMHO. Best of luck.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 03:52:30 PM »
While true, if you are comparing two mics against each other, it doesn't really matter if they are low-profile or not. A is bright then B, B has more detail then C. That sort of thing is what you are looking at.

Oh, but it does.  Running low-pro impacts the config.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »

Oh, but it does.  Running low-pro impacts the config.

Correct in that it affects things, but to tell two different sonic signatures apart I don't think it's as critical. If that's not what you're interested in, then I think you're down to trial and error.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com