Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: milab vm44-link ??  (Read 7349 times)

Offline chrisv31

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
milab vm44-link ??
« on: October 23, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
Hi,
I'm looking for a good cardiod set of microphone ,for the moment I'm a proud dpa 4061 user !
I'll be very interested to buy 2 milab vm44-link and i would like to ask you where it's possible to find the price of these microphones.
Any place in Europe (I'm from France) or in the sates where I could order the mics?

Is it possible to run the mila with a denecke. PS2?
Thanks in advance for your help
Chris V
DPA 4061 + MPS 6030 + LS 10 Olympus
NEUMANN KM140 + Neumann BS48i-2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: milab vm44-link ??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
Hi,
I'm looking for a good cardiod set of microphone ,for the moment I'm a proud dpa 4061 user !
I'll be very interested to buy 2 milab vm44-link and i would like to ask you where it's possible to find the price of these microphones.
Any place in Europe (I'm from France) or in the sates where I could order the mics?

Is it possible to run the mila with a denecke. PS2?
Thanks in advance for your help
Chris V

They are standard P48 mics so the PS2 will do ok. They run about 1400-1800 (usd) for a pair/set. Fullcompass.com has them as do other large audio outfits. Googling for "VM44-LINK" yeilds a handful of companies that do.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:03 PM »
The mics are made in Sweden so you might be able to get them in Europe cheaper (only having to pay duty once ratherr than twice) and there are several European distributors including one in France.

http://www.milabmic.com/distributors.asp?region=europe

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
I would talk to Dirk on this board as he is an authorized dealer.
His username is TNJazz.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=11093
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
The mics are made in Sweden so you might be able to get them in Europe cheaper

With the current slump of the USD, shopping from the US makes sense even for EU made gear.
If you have a friend going over, it's a no-brainer with the exchange rate, US prices will most likely be to your favor.

Check with TNJazz for best deal, or post an ISO at the YS if you're fine with used gear.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline chrisv31

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 12:23:41 PM »
thank you all for your help :)

Offline chrisv31

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
I have a question:
Is it possible to power 2x VM44 LINK with a tinybox?
Thanks in advance :)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »
I have a question:

Milab says anywhere from 12-48v Phantom Power. Depending on the requested tinybox configuration, thats an option.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
Yes. Swedish taper nickee runs this configuration. I don't know his cabling, but I assume a custom Y-cable is involved.

You'll find a few pulls with this rig on dime, as well as archive.org (linked from his TS profile below):
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=9959
http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=12110
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »
I have a question:

I´ve run CK930s with a tinybox, so yes the milabs will be possible aswell as long as you configure the box for them!

Besides Milab VM44 links -> tinybox -> recorder is a damn fine rig!

cheers
N
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline chrisv31

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
Thanks for your help !
For you all what is the best choise beetween a beyer ck930s, a milab vm-44 link and a neumann km140 ?
I just want to be sure to make the right choise because it's a lot of money ;)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
Thanks for your help !
For you all what is the best choise beetween a beyer ck930s, a milab vm-44 link and a neumann km140 ?

at that stage I think it's personal preference in sound texture and balance. In my eyes/ears; the beyers are the darkest of the three, the milab's the brightest. The neumann's have a very distinct color/texture that (in my listening experience) either works to improve a recording, or against it, it's rarely neutral where as the other two can have recordings in that middle ground.

I recommend you listen to recordings of all three and listen to the cymbols specifically. The beyers have the highest peak at 12khz, while the milabs is around 10khz and neumann around 8-9. Between that peak and the texture imparted by the mic, see what appeals to you and your listening environment. My original listening setup didn't mesh with the neumann house sound at all, but my current listening environment is much better. You'll have to listen and see if any of the three brands stand out to as bad when you listen. Best of luck.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »
Thanks for your help !

It is a lot of money so you are likely to get those who bought the mics to say they like them better. I love the vm44-links and I've had them only for a short period of time.

I would recommend spending some time listening to recordings made by these mics.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=115606.0 Team Beyerdynamic .v4
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=114343.0 Team Milab .01

Often times people post their recordings in these team posts so it would be advantageous to read these team posts and listen to the recordings.

I don't know of anyone running vm44-links to a tinybox but there are some recordings of vm44-link to a littlebox. What is your recorder?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
Thanks for your help !

The best ones are the ones that YOU like the sound of.  Listen to plenty of shows on archive.org.  More than once I thought I wanted a set of whatever mics.  So I listened to a bunch of shows and I had a hard time getting excited about it.  I really wanted to like them (maybe I'll grow to love them), but the reality was I didn't.  I've been stupid enough to buy them anyway, and you know what?  I didn't like them, and back in the yard sale they went.

The flip side is you have to be careful of the occasionally awesome show.  If you get a good band in a good room, with a good mixing guy, you can put a set of crappy mics in the sweet spot and pull a decent tape.  Anything is gonna sound great.  So you listen to that and think "these is awesome!"  but that's only the best case scenario.  If you can sample 20 shows with given mics, and you think you like 80% of them that's great.  If you only like a couple of them, and think the rest sound thin, then that's probably what you are going to think if you buy them.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 05:46:37 PM »
I owned an ran km184s and km140s for several years, and have since owned Milab vm44-links for several more years.  I don't own the Beyer mc930/ck930, but do own the Beyer mc950 hypers.

I think the Milabs and Neumanns are somewhat/fairly comparable in sound, and of the two I much prefer the Milabs. The Neumanns to me don't have the definition in the low end compared to the Milabs.  Though I agree the Milabs might be a tiny bit more bright than the Neumanns, it somewhat balances out in the overall sound as the Milabs have a fuller, tauter bass, so while they might be a bit more bright, they certainly don't sound thinner.

The Beyers are a whole different sound, darker as Page says.  Smoother than the Milabs & Neumanns, but less detailed.  I enjoy having both available to use (though different patterns), but I think choosing between the Milabs and Beyers is a matter of personal preference and/or your specific application.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com