Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM D50 - microphone advice and setup  (Read 2245 times)

Offline sydbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM D50 - microphone advice and setup
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:33 AM »
Hi All,

First time poster. Just bought the Sony PCM-D50 and am in need of some Microphone advice as my sound recording experience is rather limited.

I'm shooting my first feature film (in collaboration with another filmmaker) next year and want to work out a good setup for the range of recordings we'll be making. It will be mainly interviews (not image synced, used primarily as voiceover) and field recordings (on a tropical island). I'm working on another film at the moment and we've run the D50 into a Sound Device Mix-Pre with a range of mics that has worked well, but would be interested in how I could avoid purchasing the Sound Devices machine to lower the cost but still make a good range of recordings. Or is the Sound Devices machine a good recommendation with cheaper mics?

I'm thinking three mics will be enough: 1 lapel, 1 wireless (interviewing people as they walk around) and 1 versatile all-round mic. for the field recordings (something that will work well in the tropical environment with all the diverse range of sounds).

Budget is around £400 thus far and we'll be in a very remote location so I don't want to make any mistakes in kit choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,

Syd.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM D50 - microphone advice and setup
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:40:33 AM »
What I'm recommending isn't a wireless system because I don't have enough experience with them.

Sennheiser MD46 Cardioid
Sennheiser MD42 Omni
Beyerdynamic M58 Omnidirectional

In all honesty I'm not certain how these mics would do in tropical weather but they are all dynamic so no pre-amp or plug in power would be necessary at all. All three are heavily used in ENG. The other day after the Philly vs SF game, the reporters were interviewing players using the Sennheiser MD 46 and you could clearly hear the reporter and the player regardless of the background music. For your purpose, an omni may be a better choice so you can picking more surroundings noises.

I think you should look at these mics since they have been tested in the interview/reporting field for years. They are more limiting than wireless mics because someone's hand will be tied up to hold the mic at the sound, but wireless system can cost a lot of money unless you want to rent a system.

With any audio you record, you should have a pair of headphones to make sure the audio will sound good.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
Re: Sony PCM D50 - microphone advice and setup
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Syd, I really like the preamps in Sound Devices, but if your budget is so limited, In wireless I think the Sennheisers G2 could be a good investment, I don't have the models here, but you must have the package that includes lapel omnidirectional (me2) robust and good sound. And ntg2 RODE shotgun (works with one AA). ambiences can be made directly with the D50 mic, they sound really good, highly recommended!

Hope this helps!

Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:32:20 PM by Erick del Valle »
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com