Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio too distorted, help cleaning it up :(  (Read 2651 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
audio too distorted, help cleaning it up :(
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:12:45 AM »
 so i recorded a gig with these mics I bought on ebay, turns out the recording was too distorted. Now I can't blame the mics, the place the concert took place has horrible sound but it wasn't distorted then, only recording came out distorted. The mics are actually earphones, they look like earphones and you put them in your ear, they record what you hear. pretty shitty but everyone makes mistakes.

this is one of my fav bands I recorded, please let me know how can I make it sound better and reduce distortion. I have nero wav editor, audacity, adobe audition and adobe soundbooth on my pc.

here is a sample, it basically sounds like this the whole show. I have remastered many shows but for the life of my I can't make this sound better, anything just reduce the distortion please.

Any suggestions to salvage this recording? Here is a full song sample:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VP1ZXZP9

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
Re: audio too distorted, help cleaning it up :(
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:33 AM »
I can't get the download to download... it says it's unavailable.

But in the interim, why can't you blame the mics? Share some more details about the mics, your battery box, your recorder, your settings, etc as that may provide the answer before anyone even listens to the sample.

Have you successfully recorded anything similar with this equipment in the past?
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »
the recorder i used is a sony icdsx750, ive done many recordings with this one. mostly with external mics, even the internal mics are pretty damn good. Never had a problem.

these are the mics i used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BINAURAL-EAR-MOUNTED-ELECTRET-CONDENSER-MICROPHONE-/270504397416?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item3efb518a68

I didn't use the battery box, used the power from my recorder since it worked anyways, it was fully charged. This was the FIRST time i used these mics. Other than that I have used the recorder many times with other mics and the result was great.

here is another link to the sample, this time mp3:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUUNS8FG

I recorded at WAV 44k/16bit custom settings, the same as I always do.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 01:48:40 PM by pdastoor »

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »

You've got to fix the problem with your setup and try again. You're never going to get rid of recorded distortion. Keep in mind that mic power from the recorder may not be sufficient to bias the mic capsules. If it isn't sufficient, you'll get distortion at higher levels. Use a battery box.

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:35:23 PM »
just tell me what to do post-production wise... i wont be using these mics again, it was a pain stuffing them in my ears for 2 hours.

The recording is not that bad, its still listenable, there is only distortion on the drums, you can still clearly hear the notes etc... pretty sure with some tweaks you could lower the distortion amount

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »
just tell me what to do post-production wise...

It's not gonna happen, man. Cannot undo. Sorry.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com