Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise shows !  (Read 5550 times)

Offline lukehilton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
Noise shows !
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:57:10 AM »
hey all,
I'm looking to getting some equipment to tape noise shows (with video). I've decided on a recommendation from a musician friend to start with a Edirol R-09HR and have been looking in to the CA mics.  It doesn't really matter to me the stealth aspect, as most of the people I'll be taping I will be in correspondence with and will allow me to be in front of the crowd standing on a step ladder.  any good ideas for some mics that will carry a dynamic range and handle a heavy load and will be compatible with the R-09HR? 

check out my works on youtube if you like: http://www.youtube.com/user/lukejhilton

THANKS A BUNCH this site is majorly rad

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
Re: Noise shows !
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
The recorder isn't very important, the mics are.  Get the best mics you can afford and the cheapest gear you can find to plug them into.  Start saving for better mics.  When you have great mics then upgrade the rest of your gear.  Unlike a deck or a computer, they aren't coming out with mics that are twice as good and cost half as much next year, they'll last you for the rest of your life.

I think DPA 4023's would be great mics to get.

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
yeah, honestly if I look back at all the money I spent on 'lower end' gear and not being satisfied, then bought a bit more 'lower end' stuff and still not meeting my expectations.. Had I just jumped into buying decent gear I could have saved a bundle of money. I guess what I am saying is if you take the hobby seriously and feel you will get good use out of your gear maybe look into buying something you will be happy with for many years to come (dont buy something you will not be happy with only hoping to upgrade later). Sure it will be a bit more than what you want to spend now but it will be worth it in the long run.. Just my thoughts. As for what to buy...

Anyone here will tell ya for the price you can not beat some of church's gear. Busman also has a very nice set of mics at a decent price-point with switchable caps (multiple patterns) which may interest you as well. Otherwise, just checkout archive and let your ears be the judge. Just buy something that you will be happy with so your not wasting your money.. I could type a list of mics around the $500-700 range that others here would recommend but honestly it comes down to what your ears like.. look around in peoples 'sigs' search the mic/pres they are running on the archive and find out what works for you..

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline lukehilton

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:47 AM »
The DPA 4023 didn't catch my ear all that well even on the better rated of the shows it was used with.
I'm very stoked on how this combination sounds for this type of music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA3-aeQBjK8
any thought on how well it would work for a much louder noisier group ?  would just turning down the input level a lot do the trick ?
Since I've heard the Church Audio I've been very impressed, it seems like he's doing rad work at a great price and servicing a community very well.  I would be excited to support him.

Could I get a sound at all similar without a preamp?  Or does that give a much broader sound?

THANKS !

Offline lukehilton

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Also, is it possible to forgo using mics and use the mix from the board direct in to the r-09?  I think the person who recommended this to me does this for recording most of his shows.  I can tell a difference when he uses the on board mic to record the shows, so I'm guessing the other portion of the time he's using a mix from the board.  Does this yield a stronger sound?

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:00:55 PM »
1) Give us an idea what your budget is.  $30, or $300, or $3000.
2) Are you planning to record audio on an audio recorder, and video on a separate video recorder, and then sync them in post?  Seems like the hard way to do it IMHO.
3) What "noise" are you trying to capture?  Most of us focus on capturing the music sound while trying not to capture crowd noise.  If that's not your quest, then please explain.

In regards to using the board patch...  there are a few bands where the sound guys make an awesome mix intended for recording (Radiators), but that's quite rare.  Frequently, especially in small clubs, the board mix is just the "fill in mix" going to PA stacks and recording that alone sounds lifeless by itself.   An Audience recording generally captures everything much better, as well as a lot of generally undesireable crowd noise.  The best recordings are frequently a "matrix" where the AUD and SBD are recorded to 4 tracks and mixed together afterwards.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline lukehilton

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
My price range is 550 to 600.  I have a DVX100A with 2 XLR inputs, so perhaps it would be the easier road to get some microphones to connect to my camera.  My thought was that it would be good to be accustomed to taping by itself and have both a mix from the on board camera mic and a more dynamic mix from a deck.  By noise, i mean bands that play especially loud music that I would consider more textural than some other music.  A lot of samples rather than instruments.  Thanks for those helpful keywords, that'll be easy to remember.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
hey all,
I'm looking to getting some equipment to tape noise shows (with video). I've decided on a recommendation from a musician friend to start with a Edirol R-09HR and have been looking in to the CA mics.  It doesn't really matter to me the stealth aspect, as most of the people I'll be taping I will be in correspondence with and will allow me to be in front of the crowd standing on a step ladder.  any good ideas for some mics that will carry a dynamic range and handle a heavy load and will be compatible with the R-09HR? 

check out my works on youtube if you like: http://www.youtube.com/user/lukejhilton

THANKS A BUNCH this site is majorly rad

Hehe, the DPA 4023s are definitely the best thing out there for what you are doing. They also cost $3500 new.  If your budget is quite high, then yes, go with something like DPA 4023 and a good multi-channel deck liek the R-44, Tascam DR-680, or the SD744T.

Assuming you were talking about the ~$500 price range, which it sounds like you were, any of the Church Audio mics will do it. If you'll be up close, I would get the CA-14 omnis.  Most people at noise shows are pretty chill and quiet (at least the ones I go to) and omnis sound better up close.    I'd get CA-14 omnis + a battery box or CA-9100 preamp and a Sony PCM-M10.  That'll set you back about $500 and be a kickass starter rig for what you're doing.

I would NOT recommend going SBD>deck with nothing else, esp for the music you are recording.  The guitars are often not mixed through the SBD at all at small club shows and even if they are, the mix will likely not be right for listening on its own.   If you want to mess around with SBDs you really need a 4-channel deck that can take both aud mics and an SBD feed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:26:34 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline lukehilton

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:45:55 PM »
acidjack, thank you tons.  if I were to be a serious regular taper I would invest quite a bit more money, but I'm a student and a film dude foremost so I try to save my cash for video related expenses.  I think your recommendations will do me awfully well !

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
you are definitely going to need a preamp, especially if you're taping any basement/DIY shows (since those will be crushingly loud)
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »
or just a battery box

Offline lukehilton

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Soft Serve
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
Anyone fond of the Crown SASS-P?  I posted a nearly identical thread on the DVXuser forums and someone recommended I look in to that.  I think it's got a pretty boss sound.  Seems like they're a little hard to get a hold of (now a days) for any less than a grand.  Thoughts or similar recommendations?

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:21 AM »
acidjack, thank you tons.  if I were to be a serious regular taper I would invest quite a bit more money, but I'm a student and a film dude foremost so I try to save my cash for video related expenses.  I think your recommendations will do me awfully well !

I should add, at least one member here, Gutbucket, has been using the Tascam DR-2D for four-channel recordings. Deck is only $200 like the Sony M10.  The 4-channel feature is not as robust as with some other decks, but I believe it will probably work for you if you're really interested in getting SBD patches.  Just another thought.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline anfiskamorris

• Taperssection Newbie
С праздником
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Всех с прошедшими праздниками! Ура !

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: С праздником
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Всех с прошедшими праздниками! Ура !
WERD!
Took the words right out of my mouth.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com