Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to remaster voice recordings  (Read 1725 times)

Offline linv5800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best way to remaster voice recordings
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »
Hey all ,
  First off , I LOVE THIS SITE ! Great stuff here .
I recently recorded a comedy show by Tosh from Comedy Central .
It came out pretty well but could use some improvements .
I have Majix audio cleaner , Adobe soundbooth and audacity .
Any suggestions on the best way to bring the voice out into the front and
kill some noise ? Im new to this so any help will be most appreciated !
Thanks all !

Edit - i used my sony mz-n1 mini-disc recorder with a sony ecm-ds70p ,
a real one , not one of the knock-off's . just fyi
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:19:22 PM by linv5800 »
Video Cameras - HD Sony CX-150 - HD Canon HG10 -
Still Photo Cameras -  Nikon D-40 w- 18mm-55mm Nikor Lens - And A 70mm-300mm Signa Lens
Sound Recording - Sony MZ-N1 Mini-disc - Olympus WS-320M Flash Drive , accually not a bad little machine
Microphone - Sony ECM - DS70P  -  Sony ECM - DS70P Knock-off , a fake . Not Too Bad - Looking for good mics ,

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Best way to remaster voice recordings
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:21 PM »
As far as EQ goes - look for boosting the vocal fundamentals (~2K on the top and ~200 or a bit higher for the bottom).  Roll off (shelving) starting at 80hz up to as high as 100hz (especially if there is a lot of ambient room).  I like to keep the higher freqs, but, if it helps, a similar roll off very high (12K +) might help dependent on the noise in the track. 

For a complete dialogue chain, use a de-esser, limiter, eq, then compressor.  Not sure if you have it, but single ended noise reduction can help as well (I don't know the Majix product, but this is what you will have to experiment with).  Usually with these products, less is more - don't go for total, large effect noise reduction, but just go for some.  Use it incrementally, there is definitely diminishing returns with noise reduction. 

Final dialogue that pops is a process, or combination of what I suggest above rather than one swipe with something.  Do a version with minor noise reduction then try the mastering techniques of de-ess, limit, eq, compress and finally level experimenting until you move closer to a goal.  De-ess, to take off the very sharp s's or sillibant attacks, limit to get the dynamic range more in control, eq for correction and sonic quality, compress lightly at the end to glue it together.  Each process only if needed and as sparingly as possible.  Also, editorial (if possible) to take out ticks, mic hits, clothing rubs, etc. as well as smoothing noise fills can be the most powerful tool even before you start mastering.

Offline linv5800

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions , i'll put google to work and
find out what i don't understand and start reading and learning .
Im pretty new to all this but ive been looking up all i can on all this .
If anyone has any other suggestions on articles or web pages to look at , id
really appreciate it .. BTW , Thanks alot PeteJE. 
Still Photo Cameras -  Nikon D-40 w- 18mm-55mm Nikor Lens - And A 70mm-300mm Signa Lens
Sound Recording - Sony MZ-N1 Mini-disc - Olympus WS-320M Flash Drive , accually not a bad little machine
Microphone - Sony ECM - DS70P  -  Sony ECM - DS70P Knock-off , a fake . Not Too Bad - Looking for good mics ,

Offline PeteJE

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 11:04:47 PM »
It sounds like a lot if unfamiliar.  Very simply, trust your ears, and experiment.  All of this should be non-destructive (meaning you always keep the original, unaltered audio), so get hands on with an EQ and, if available, the other tools I mention and experiment.  Alter one thing at a time, listen and have fun.

Offline linv5800

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 06:08:19 PM »
Sounds like really good advice ..Thanks alot .

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com