Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD USBPRE2 - SONY PCM-M10 - MAC BOOK PRO 13" : experienced ?  (Read 9011 times)

Offline sonus2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
SD USBPRE2 - SONY PCM-M10 - MAC BOOK PRO 13" : experienced ?
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »
Greetings and Happy new year to all !

I own a SONY PCM-M10, two AT4022 condenser microphones and a MAC BOOK PRO 13".

I intend to record indoor and outoor the following ways using SOUND DEVICES USBPRE2 :

Setup n°1 : condenser microphones > XLR balanced cables > SOUND DEVICES USBPRE2 > cable > SONY PCM-M10

Setup n°2 : condenser microphones > XLR balanced cables > SOUND DEVICES USBPRE2 >cable > MAC BOOK PRO 13"

Any experience with those setup configurations ? Any advice to provide ? Any comments ?

Thanks for your assistance !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 12:15:40 PM by sonus2011 »

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: SD USBPRE2 - SONY PCM-M10 - MAC BOOK PRO 13" : experienced ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:15 AM »
Welcome!

Both rigs should be OK, provided you have sufficient powering to the pre and macbook.

For use with the M10, remember to set it up for analog passthrough:
There is a DIP switch that configures the USBPre 2 to send whatever signal is going to headphones to the outputs. This is how the USBPre 2 can be used as a preamp / converter in Stand-alone mode. When this option is engaged and the Monitor Mix knob is turned all the way to "PRE", the signal path from analog inputs to analog outputs is fully analog.
From http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139081.msg1801563#msg1801563
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:54:07 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline sunjan

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:02 AM »
Welcome!

Both rigs should be OK, provided you have sufficient powering to the pre and macbook.

For use with the M10, remember to set it up for analog passthrough:
There is a DIP switch that configures the USBPre 2 to send whatever signal is going to headphones to the outputs. This is how the USBPre 2 can be used as a preamp / converter in Stand-alone mode. When this option is engaged and the Monitor Mix knob is turned all the way to "PRE", the signal path from analog inputs to analog outputs is fully analog.
From http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139081.msg1801563#msg1801563

It would be nice to hear a comparison between the two rigs, as a shootout between the AD stage of the M10 and the USBPRE2.

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:26:12 AM »
hello team!

Yes it would be interesting to hear a comparison but have we not misunderstood the quoted application?

Does the M10 have a digital I/P? the Macbook has Firewire/USB and optical S/P DIF (apparently), will it not be digital from the SD onwards...?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline sunjan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »
IIUC, the OP is aware of the interface differences:

USBPRE2 analog out > analog cable > SONY PCM-M10

USBPRE2 USB out > USB data cable > MAC BOOK PRO 13"
(depending on lappy model, there might be a S/PDIF input too, but I don't know if it really offer any real advantages over USB. I believe you can control the preamp from the lappy to a higher extent if you use the USB connection instead.)

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for both response and interest.

I don't own the USBPRE2 yet. But since I own no audio interface yet I got to go to something, right ? I mean the AT4022s are really fantastic microphones so I guess they deserve good equipment. Still, I have no experience with any SOUND DEVICES product. We have NAGRA products here in Europe but like we say here : "Ca coute un bras".

Answering your question the SONY PCM-M10 holds a short USB port but as far as I understand it is used when willing to transfer the files recorded to the computer.
It holds also one "MIC" entry port and one "LINE IN" port : so I suppose these are analog entries, yes. Still, I don't know if it's possible to connect the USBPRE2 to any of those ports. I guess it is.

I believed that the USB connection was for the power only : the USBPRE2 get the power when connected to the computer. Not only reading your comments : the DATAS run both ways ? Am I understanding right ?

Funny you spoke about those ports because today I made few test recordings with the SOUNDMAN OKM II KLASSIC ear plug microphones (binaural) : I connect them to the "LINE IN" port first and press "REC" but there was no recording signal, then I plug them into the "MIC" port and it ran straight fine.

The USBPRE2 is expensive here in Paris (875 euros / 1132 dollars). It's still cheaper than any SD 7XX recorder.

My concern is to get the BEST recording sound quality when plugging the AT4022s. Also to get a portable device that I can use outdoor and indoor. The AT4022s microphone are great for recording nature sounds and they are great also for the studio. 

There is one point I didn't understand : when the USBEPRE2 is connected to the computer what happen to the computer sound card ? I guess, the recording function will be possible thanks the recording software in use (Garage Band, Audacity...) but what about the role of the computer sound card ? Is the computer sound card still active when the USBPRE2 is connected to the computer ? I don't get the point here. 

Just for the info I looked also at the ROLLS PB224 (117 euros / 151 dollars) since it is in use by some famous US field recordists but a friend of man alert me on the fact the AC port of his broke after few rigs only... I cannot afford paying dollars 117 euros and then see the gear fall into pieces. The ROLLS PB224 is for Phantom Power only, the USBPRE2 is an audio interface.

Any experience with the MACKIE BLACKJACK ? Are the preamps of good quality ? Because it's USB and a more complete solution than the ROLLS PB224. And cheaper than USBPRE2.

As you can read I am still searching...c'est la vie...any suggestion is always welcome.   

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
if it was me i would just go to the m10 and be done with it
there are some many issues to consider when using the mbp like battery, space, sound
when you are done with the m10 you can transfer it via usb to the mbp in a few minutes and i don't see the mbp sounding better then the m10
although the mbp could prob make it battery wise for a whole show, the m10 will def make it without worries
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:40:08 PM »
Thanks. I understand what you mean. I previously heard recordists saying that they had some issue when recording with computers : battery issue, sudden "stop"...
That's pretty weird stuff, I mean, you are installing everything, the stands, the mics, everything is plugged, the artists are playing great but suddenly the gear just stop functionning for some reason...

I already record with the M10. But with the M10 alone it's impossible to connect the AT4022s microphones since they both require 48v. phantom power.
That's why I the USBPRE2 could solve the case. I mean the M10 alone do the job for certain things and it does things great but the AT4022s are something else, it's another dimension in sound.

Reading you again what you mean is the set-up "condenser microphones > XLR balanced cables > SOUND DEVICES USBPRE2 >cable > MAC BOOK PRO 13" should no be high quality in sound result because of the MAC BOOK PRO ? Could you please clarify ? Thanks.   

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
if it was me i would just go to the m10 and be done with it
there are some many issues to consider when using the mbp like battery, space, sound
when you are done with the m10 you can transfer it via usb to the mbp in a few minutes and i don't see the mbp sounding better then the m10
although the mbp could prob make it battery wise for a whole show, the m10 will def make it without worries

agreed
get a littlebox for your pre -> M-10
the transfer in post to the macBook
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Reading you again what you mean is the set-up "condenser microphones > XLR balanced cables > SOUND DEVICES USBPRE2 >cable > MAC BOOK PRO 13" should no be high quality in sound result because of the MAC BOOK PRO ? Could you please clarify ? Thanks.   

i am just saying that between the m10 and the mbp
that i don't think there would be a big enough difference in sound to make me want to take the mbp in the field
think about it like this
your $1200+ mbp gets a beer spilled on it vs your $200 m10
which would pref???
i personally wouldn't risk it when i don't think the sound of the mbp would justify the risk and transferring from the m10 is painless
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Yes I guess you are right.
Naiant little box is HIGHLY customizable.
Looks like "la crème de la crème" the little box...

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
They key is that, for running into an M10, the littlebox costs half as much as the USBpre2 and if you aren't running into digital inputs anyway, then yes, it probably makes more sense for you.  Personally, I own a LB and am considering the USBpre2, but only because I'm interesting in running it digitally into my R-44 and a macbook air occasionally if I am doing a streaming thing.  I otherwise would never, ever bring a laptop into the field if I could avoid it.

Given your proposed gear chain, I don't think the USBpre2 makes as much sense for you as the littlebox does.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
Bringing a computer on the field may be sensitive indeed. 

What cable brand do you recommend between the LITTLE BOX and the M10 ?

Thanks again.   

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
They key is that, for running into an M10, the littlebox costs half as much as the USBpre2 and if you aren't running into digital inputs anyway, then yes, it probably makes more sense for you.  Personally, I own a LB and am considering the USBpre2, but only because I'm interesting in running it digitally into my R-44 and a macbook air occasionally if I am doing a streaming thing.  I otherwise would never, ever bring a laptop into the field if I could avoid it.

Given your proposed gear chain, I don't think the USBpre2 makes as much sense for you as the littlebox does.

As much as I like SD gear (and I'm also looking at the usbpre2), I'm inclined to agree, get an analog pre-amp (whether one of Naiant's or another one) and use the M10 that way. If you thought you were going to get a recorder in the near future that did have a SPDIF in, then the usbpre2 could be run in analog only mode for now, and then use the ADC when you get your new recorder, but you would have to know that you are going to get a new recorder and what it would be well in advance to make that selection.

If I were you, I'd get an analog pre-amp (which will probably be cheaper) to run your mics and see how that goes.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
Bringing a computer on the field may be sensitive indeed. 

What cable brand do you recommend between the LITTLE BOX and the M10 ?

Thanks again.
you could use any cable from a radio shack on up
i personally use a darktrain one

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com