Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Countryman B3 straight to PCM-M10  (Read 3147 times)

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Countryman B3 straight to PCM-M10
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
I've just given my Countryman B3's (bought second hand) a run plugged directly into my PCM-M10 on plug in power using a Y cable (thanks Ted) and I found a couple of issues.

When on high gain there's a lot of noise (seems to be up to around -25dB on the meter on maximum gain) on both mics, I'm wondering if this is because they haven't got enough power or if it's preamp noise?

Also one mic is around 6dB off from the other- badly matched pair?

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Countryman B3 straight to PCM-M10
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
Looks like it's just one of the mics adding the noise and having a low input level, broken methinks :/

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »
Sorry i'm not an expert on this, but i have a pair of B3's terminated in a mini-stereo plug and run them into a CA UGLY preamp (about 2 o' clock) and go line-in to an R09-HR (level ususally 25-35 depending on the band). I've never had any noise and the levels are well matched with peaks at about -12dB for really loud stuff.
BTW the sound is phenomenal with this rig....

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
I've just given my Countryman B3's (bought second hand) a run plugged directly into my PCM-M10 on plug in power using a Y cable (thanks Ted) and I found a couple of issues.

When on high gain there's a lot of noise (seems to be up to around -25dB on the meter on maximum gain) on both mics, I'm wondering if this is because they haven't got enough power or if it's preamp noise?

Also one mic is around 6dB off from the other- badly matched pair?
Ask Richard(illconditioned), he has a lot of experience with the countrymans, its possible its the y cable as well, i once made a y cable for a set of mics and it introduced noise but when i put them together on a miniplug no problems, and i could never figure out why but i tried rebuilding the cable and reterminating the mics themselves a couple times before i put them to a miniplug

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:56:17 AM »
I tried plugging both in individually (as mono mics) and got quite different results, one had a lot more noise than the other.  The dodgy one has some pink stuff (make-up?) on the grille, so it might also be inside the mic.

I'd used it for interviews before with just one and didn't have any problems, must have been lucky and gone for the good one both times

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »
I tried plugging both in individually (as mono mics) and got quite different results, one had a lot more noise than the other.  The dodgy one has some pink stuff (make-up?) on the grille, so it might also be inside the mic.

I'd used it for interviews before with just one and didn't have any problems, must have been lucky and gone for the good one both times
If one mic turns out bad, and if you can't return it, I would be interested in dissecting it.  Maybe I could fix it, but more likely, consider it a contribution to "science".

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »

If one mic turns out bad, and if you can't return it, I would be interested in dissecting it.  Maybe I could fix it, but more likely, consider it a contribution to "science".

Richard

I can't return it, although I might open it up and have a look myself.  If I can't get any use out of it can be donated to science :) (although you'll have to pay postage)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »

Richard

I can't return it, although I might open it up and have a look myself.  If I can't get any use out of it can be donated to science :) (although you'll have to pay postage)
BTW, I'm not thinking of opening the capsule itself (5mm diameter, 3mm thick), but the buildup of epoxy behind it.  The capsule itself has a very fine mesh on the front that could be cleaned.  Another thing is to soak the capsule in (distilled?) water and dry it out.  But only if you cannot clean it.

Welcome to the world of microphone hacking!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com