Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-2D vs Sony M10  (Read 3607 times)

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Tascam DR-2D vs Sony M10
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:16 PM »
I'm looking to pick up another recorder and these 2 stick out.  I have a Sony D50 right now and iRiver H320 that I know will go out someday so I want something that will fit the same needs the iRiver fits right now.  The D50 I normally use the internals and am extremely pleased with the results.  I like to use the iRiver for a line out from a mixer or hook CA mics/preamp combo into it.  Rockbox makes it ideal for this.  I also film weddings occasionally and to get good audio I'll hook a lapel up to the CA preamp or SP preamp I have and run them into the iRiver and have the groom carry the in his side pocket.  So whatever I choose will have to take over those responsibilities when the iRiver dies one day.  I notice the Tascam has the line and mic in plugs on the top which helps a great deal when it's being carried in your pocket. 

I know how good the Sony recorders are and the M10 was my first instinct but I'm really curious about the Tascam now.  How well do the internal omnis on the M10 handle loud sound compared to the D50 cardioids?  What about the internal mics on the Tascam? 

Also, it looks like the Tascam can record 2 sources at once.  Can it record a line in and internal or external mics as separate tracks like a 4 track recorder or does it mix both sources on the fly?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:21:08 PM by stantheman1976 »

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-2D vs Sony M10
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:18 AM »
My understanding is that you get four separate tracks.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »
..it looks like the Tascam can record 2 sources at once.  Can it record a line in and internal or external mics as separate tracks like a 4 track recorder or does it mix both sources on the fly?

It can either mix the two stereo inputs to a single stereo file according to a ratio you set, or record two separate stereo files.  It does not record individual mono tracks.  The mic input can be either the internal mics or the external input.

Not sure how the mics compare to those in the Sony.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
I'm severely torn between the two.  Having the D50 already I know Sony is good.  My main concerns with the Sony are not knowing how well the omnis will handle loud music.  Plus I already have the CA omnis and know they can handle what I want to record so do I really want more omnis?  I'm also curious about the mics sensitivity switch.  The D50 has a 20dB pad switch.  How similar is the mic sensitivity switch on the M10?  Is it only for the mics and not line in also?

I don't have to get 4 mono tracks so the dual record mode on the Tascam would work great for me.  It just seems odd that you can't adjust the levels of the line in source on the fly.  Is that something that could be changed with a firmware update in the future possibly?

Battery life also concerns me.  It won't be a huge issue because I will likely not be recording anything for more than a couple hours if I'm not plugged into an outlet.  It is nice that the Sony gets such great battery life though.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
Using Engergizer Lithiums battery life is not an issue.   Not a big fan of internal mics since I am used to mk4s

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
I'm getting about 5 hours out of 2850 mAh rechargeables.

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
I decided to go with the DR-2d.  I got a new laptop and the recorder.  I haven't gotten to use it much but did record one band in a bar Monday night.  I used the internal mics at low sensitivity with the gain set to about 75.  I ended up having to raise it a decent bit.  I was being cautious because I didn't know how it would handle the loudness yet.  I had the recorder set on a table about 15' back from the stage centered.  I also had my D50 and CA omnis/CA9000 on a tripod up about 7.

Overall I think it sounds pretty decent and seems to handle the louder bar type music I'll be recording pretty well.  The internal mics are fairly flat to my ears. 

I attached a short sample from each one.  Sample1 is the CA omnis and CA9000, sample2 the D50 internal mics at 180 degres, and sample 3 the DR-2d internals.  I bosted each and dithered the D50 and Tascam to 16 bit but there is nothing else added.  For my final mix I did add the Antress Exciter plugin to each.

As for battery life I definitely have to get some rechargeables.  I was using the included batteries and the recorder died before I could finish the second band's set.  Between playing with it at home and recording there I got less than 3 hours I think.

Offline Erick del Valle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • what about this pair of stealthy mics?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
Battery life also concerns me.  It won't be a huge issue because I will likely not be recording anything for more than a couple hours if I'm not plugged into an outlet.  It is nice that the Sony gets such great battery life though.

UUU, I never replaced the batteries in sony for loooong time, people says that lasts 30 hours?

Saludos!
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile
Erick del Valle
Santiago de Chile

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »
I know my D50 lasts quite a while.  I wish the Tascam was easier on batteries but the other features outweighed the battery life concerns for me.  Overall I think it's a pretty nice unit and don't regret choosing it.  I wish I could say the same about the laptop I bought at the same time.  After 5 days one of the three USB ports stopped working.  I tried a bunch of stuff and even did a full system restore but it is out for good.  Luckily I bought it from B&H so I am returning it for an exchange.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.183 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com