Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.  (Read 12954 times)

Offline wsphansam

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.
« on: February 23, 2004, 12:22:29 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around here for the past few weeks, thought it would be time to finally post something.

Well I've got a jb3 and am planning on taping in mainly smaller theaters and bars and need a recomendation on mics. I am on a budget of 500 or lower.  I also would like to have a little more info on different caps I should run in the types of settings I mentioned above.

thanks,
  sam
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wsphansam

Team Kansasouri, Southern Office
Team Texas

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:48:39 AM »
you may want to consider allocating that $500 budget torwards mics AND a preamp.  it is generally considered wiser to spend more/devote more resources torwards mics than other pieces of equipment.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 12:20:13 PM »
>>I am on a budget of 500 or lower.  

Audio Technica AT853Rx > Beyerdynamics MV-100 > jb3

AT mics will set you back around $300 for 2 and you could pickup a used Beyer for around $250 ish.

great for stealthing as well.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 02:40:30 PM »
Sound Pros has some decent prices on ADKs that would probably do well for you:

A-51 LDs with shockmounts $139 each:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=ADK-MODELA-51DLX&type=store

SC-Ts w/ card and omni caps $199 each:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=ADK-SC-T&type=store

SC-1 $89 each:
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=ADK-SC-1&type=store

Or check the boards for good used deals.  I still haven't got one piece of new gear except my bag, and I probably could have got that here if I'd been patient.

Welcome & +t.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 02:43:08 PM »
You could also try to go for a pair of mics around $200 and get a new digi-mod UA-5 from Oade (on sale right now for $295) for a digital feed since you're using the JB3.

http://www.oade.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OADE&Product_Code=EDIUA5DM&Category_Code=DDR

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 05:03:55 PM »
You could also try to go for a pair of mics around $200 and get a new digi-mod UA-5 from Oade (on sale right now for $295) for a digital feed since you're using the JB3.

That's what I was thinking of doing, but I would probably just buy one of ebay and do the mod myself. I am interested in learning more about the Beyer, I really like the idea of using one piece of equipt. for both stealthing and open taping.

I also have been looking into the Studio Projects C4, I've found a pair with omni/cardioids caps, windscreens, mounts, and case for 369. Can someone tell me a little about these? I know they're somewhat similar to the oktava mk012's.

Team Texas

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 07:07:25 PM »
I'll throw out the obligatory AKG c1000s/Denecke AD20 suggestion. You can pretty much always find the mics for around the $250 mark used, and the AD20 for about the same. The AD20 is also a pre/AD converter combo, and the c1000s come with both card and hyper caps...so more bang for your buck so to speak.

Granted, if you're looking to stealth, the c1000s will be of zero interest to you, but for open taping this combo is a great budget rig. Not to mention the AD20 has an optical out, which will go great with the JB3.

I ran this rig when I first started taping...and probably still would if I hadn't been bitten by the upgrade bug after a year or so. Here's a sample of what it can produce:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=2451

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 07:51:55 PM »
I looked heavily at the c1000's but figured that since I can go 100-150 bucks more why not look around more for something a little "better".

Team Texas

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 08:24:40 PM »
I looked heavily at the c1000's but figured that since I can go 100-150 bucks more why not look around more for something a little "better".

I actually had a pair of C100S, but went to AT831s before I taped a single show because I just didn't like the looks or feel of them.  

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 09:09:03 PM »
I actually had a pair of C100S, but went to AT831s before I taped a single show because I just didn't like the looks or feel of them.  

It's funny you mention the "look and feel", cause that's the one thing about them I didn't like.

They're 2 or 3 times bigger (both in length and width) as every condenser mic regularly used for taping, but obviously not as big as large diaphragm mics. They stand out in the section for sure...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 09:37:34 PM »
You can also try the every faithful Nak CM300's. Tour tested over the years! Hunt on Ebay for the 300's....I see them there every so often. I think there is a tri-set for sale but they only have the CP-2 omni caps.

These are great starter mics and have a nice warm lowend, forgiving in terms of placement and have interchangable capsules. The 9V batteries can be purchased at any Rat-Shack location or through any battery distributor.

Just another option for starter mics! Shit, I still have a pair of the shotguns for larger arena taping.

Spend as MUCH as you can on your mics. You can always upgrade your pre, deck or A/D later on. Have fun and take your time!

LoS

Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline RobC

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 09:40:12 PM »
AKG c1000s are bigger than other condenser microphones but they also take a 9v battery inside them so you don't need phantom power for them.

I used to run AKGc1000s I bought my used for $250 and sold them 9 months later for $200, I probably could hve gotten a little more but I wanted to sell them quick and it worked out less than $1 a show to use them
km 184 >v2> HD-P2, R-44
AKG 393, 392

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 09:45:31 PM »
mXL1006BPs

Samples here: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=14051

great mics, LD condensers, 9v or 48v powered, no preamp needed

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline wsphansam

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My trading list.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 10:11:17 PM »
I think I am leaning towards something like: AT stealth mics>Denecke AD-20>jb3. This way I can do the open/stealth thing. I figure I'll have some shockmounts made up for open taping.

Team Texas

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com