Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DMA1: SPDIF multitrack recorder, open source, announced at Musikmesse  (Read 5203 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
http://www.darkmatteraudio.com/index.php/news/view/announcing_dma1_the_ultimate_music_production_and_performance_tool

Specs not published yet, might be interesting for some. Too big for stealthing though, and probably won't be able to compete with DR-680 and similar gear for our purposes.

The ultimate music production and performance tool.
The landscape for the creative artist in any audio environment is about to leap into a new future with the arrival of new UK company Dark Matter Audio and its revolutionary debut product: DMA1. This incredible audio device is anything you want it to be – guitar effects processor, high quality studio tool or performance instrument – thanks to its open architecture and Online Store that lets you wirelessly update DMA1 with a growing range of pro audio apps.
DMA1’s capabilities are extensive: a compact multi-FX processor that can also act as a digital multitrack recorder, MP3/4 player, MIDI interface, (up to) 5.1 digital mixing desk…
Much like a Smart Phone, musicians and producers will be able to wirelessly download applications to make DMA1 into a drum machine, sampler, loop recorder, digital patchbay, video tutorial device, chord and scale matcher, database of transcribed music, lyric organizer, composition sketch tool…
But unlike today’s explosion in Smart Devices, DMA1 is built from the ground up for music making and is entirely focused towards musicians and producers, while rugged construction means it can be used anywhere – on stage, on the road, in the studio and even in outside broadcast situations. It’s been designed without compromise, featuring both high quality audio processing power – by way of a SHARC and an ARM processor for the user interface – and professional connectivity, while the 7-inch Touchscreen makes for quick, intuitive hands-on control, making DMA1 inspirational to use with professional results every time.
With its innovative design, DMA1 really exploits the future of music making, performing and recording. DMA1 is the ultimate studio and performance tool… right there at your fingertips.
Dark Matter Audio CEO Jon Stuart said: “with DMA1 we’ve endeavored to create a paradigm shift in the world of audio production and performance. DMA1 is the future of audio and music production precisely because it can be any future that a musician or producer could want. This is a very exciting time for us, and for music production generally, and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the team for their ceaseless toil (bar the occasional spot of skiing) to make DMA1 the revolutionary product that it is.”
Alan Greensall, Dark Matter Audio CBDO, said: “in my 35 years in this industry I have only ever come across revolutionary products like this two or three times. This industry is in need of the next big shake up, and we are dead set on making sure its Dark Matter Audio leading the way.”
Features:
• 7” Touchscreen • Studio Quality Processing • Wi-Fi and Ethernet • 3 x USB, 2 x Analogue and 2 x SPDIF connections • HDMI support • 5.1 Surround Sound Mixer • 4 Channel Architecture • Battery and Mains powered • Open Developer Community
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: DMA1: SPDIF multitrack recorder, open source, announced at Musikmesse
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:45:26 PM »
looks more promising then some of the other open source recorders (1 comes to mind and I can't remember the name but I am pretty sure it ended up as vaporware).
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
I really don't understand why everyone is missing the mark so badly on a recorder with SPDIF input.  ???

All I want is a compact and reliable bit bucket.. nothing more.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
I really don't understand why everyone is missing the mark so badly on a recorder with SPDIF input.  ???

I suspect the main reason:  market opportunity and demand is pretty darn small.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »

Stop being so reasonable!!!  :laugh:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:10 AM »

Stop being so reasonable!!!  :laugh:

;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
So much hype! Gack.

Still, I wonder how this recorder handles two S/P-DIF inputs, since each such signal has its own clock. With the amount of CPU power available in this thing, maybe we're finally getting to where high-quality sampling rate conversion will be used to sync multiple sets of digital inputs. That's been a feature of high-end pro gear for a few years now, but I haven't seen it in anything affordable for consumers.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 12:19:06 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure it has 2 SPDIF *inputs*.  Apply marketing speak translation... "2 x SPDIF"  might equal 1 Input/1 output?  One optical/one coax?

If it did have 2 SPDIF inputs, I think it would probably a) sync to 1 and resample the other if they aren't synced, or b) use it's own clock and resample both.

I have an Alesis HD24, and normally I sync word clock between recorder and ADAT preamps.  One time I accidentally left Alesis clock set to "internal", and recoreded 24 channels of ADAT without a hitch, I presume it was resampling.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline H₂O

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:04:39 PM »
Toslink Looks to be In/Out (assuming from color of the toslink - one is black and the other grey)

Check the videos:
http://www.darkmatteraudio.com/home/videoPopup

It's pretty slick for what it does.

Looks more like a production device and not for recording audio (at least in it's primary roll).  Maybe I can add Reverb to my recordings on the fly  ;D

Maybe it will support USB audio (hook up 2 SD Mix Pre2's, etc)

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
The world is full of "single board computers" from different companies.  They are like little PCs running linux.  At work I write small applications that run on them, and we use them to read sensors on machinery in a factory and transmit data to a database.  If you have some knowledge, and a LOT of time you can write software to do anything you want.  I've spent time day-dreaming how I could craft one into a bit bucket.  I could get it to read a UA-5 via USB and write to flashcard, but SPDIF would require some engineering.  I figured realistically in my case I'd end up reinventing the MicroTrack at twice the size and twice the price.  Not very marketable.

I'd say that's basically what these guys have here, with a touchpad screen and the O/S is an application running on top of linux.  I hope it works out for them.  If they aren't too expensive, I'll probably get one and play with it.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
I think the main goal is to sell you "apps" or "plugins" to replace expensive and/or vintage pedals.

I have a feeling most guitarists will still want the pedals, though.  Computers don't seem well suited to mixing and patching.  The pedal interface is just so intuitive, it is all visible at once, and has real buttons and knobs, all of which a touchscreen lacks.  That said, I would not have believed common folks (ie., non geeks) would be using all these iphones and blackberries...

I wonder if there might be a market for a *programmable* pedal, though.  You could program the pedal with a particular effect and/or add customize your settings for it, then put it on your board with the rest of the pedals.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:48:37 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:02:18 PM »
Interesting.  Marking this thread to check this out in more detail later.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 07:39:32 AM »
It's a nice idea, I've thought about making a very small computer myself for recording, although my laptop's only a little bigger anyway (and I can run the software I want on it). Most recorders run cut down and customised versions of linux (I think I read somewhere the Sound Devices OS is based on windows). The problems are once you start adding features, more things emerge that can go wrong and cause crashes etc.

Another interesting thing is the new firmware in the RME UFX interface, which now supports recording over USB straight from the box.  I'd be very interested if they'd do a version of that like the FF400 (smaller and DC powered).

Richard, there's already a pedal that does this: http://www.openstomp.com/

There's even an analogue one where you can swap out cartridges with different effects on :)
http://www.effector13.com/

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 11:13:07 AM »

All I want is a compact and reliable bit bucket.. nothing more.

I remember talking to the Tascam rep at the Namm show in January about it and he said he has heard the concern and they are "working" on it. whatever that means....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com