Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mono professional mic with Sony PCM-M10  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Chazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mono professional mic with Sony PCM-M10
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
I am new and have a microphone question. Sorry to double post here and in the recording section but wasn't sure which is best.

I just got the Sony PCM-M10 and need to use it for speech (not music) with an external professional microphone.   I need to be able to use this recorder with extension cables to a podium. The mic is on the podium and I sit elsewhere using the recorder to make marks while people speak at the podium. Presently, I have a minidisc recorder, the extension cables and a Shure VP-64 with a standard XLR to mini plug that works fine.  But now there is a hum and very low level when I use this with the PCM-M10.   I believe there are impedance issues, etc, but not sure exactly how to solve the problem. 

I would rather not spend the money to get a new expensive mic like the one recommended in the manual, the ECM-MS957 (I am not sure it can even be used with extension cables).   I would not mind buying a new mic that works with cables if it's not too expensive. Also wouldn't mind returning the recorder and getting something better suited for speech. Wish Sony still made mini disc recorders!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mono professional mic with Sony PCM-M10
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »
Well you're saying professional but you're not wanting to spend money on the ECM-MS957.

Knowing that my choice would be a sennheister md46 cardioid mic. I know its more than the ms957 but its definitely what I would consider professional. With this you would also need a xlr to 1/8" stereo cable. Might as well record in stereo since the m10 has no mono capabilities.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chazz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Mono professional mic with Sony PCM-M10
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
Update---another poster on the SONY M-10 thread recommended I try a different cable...the Hosa XVM-105F, which is designed for this issue. It works like a charm. A cheap and effective solution. So glad I do NOT have to buy another microphone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com