Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cassette -> Computer Transfer  (Read 2460 times)

Offline CreepingDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Cassette -> Computer Transfer
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »
Hi all, I was wondering what the best cassette deck would be for transferring tapes? I understand this topic has likely be done to death a few times, but in the searches, not quite found a sufficient answer. More specifically, in the price range of £200/50.00 or $400/500. That puts out some of Nakamichi ones I understand. I've researched a little bit and have some ideas, but figured to see what the general consensus was here...in 2011- since most of what i've read is a bit dated, but probably just as relevant. I am mainly transferring low gen/master concert recordings from the late 80s/early 90s and would obviously like to get the best quality from them. I was wondering the significance of azimuth ajustment? I see that mentioned a bit.  Also wondering the best cable and connections for the job too. As you can see, a bit of a noob here I guess.

All advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Texas Tapers
Re: Cassette -> Computer Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:31 PM »
I'll be following this thread.  Hopefully a few folks will chime in with their knowledge.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:49 PM »
The university where I work has a surplus sale every other month and occasionally they will sell a pro level rack mount unit with pitch control, adjustable azimuth, etc., usually Denon, for not too much money. Maybe you can find something like that in your area and pick up a used one in decent shape cheap.

Let's face it, you are talking cassettes and they have probably deteriorated some by now so no use spending too much. You might do better to put your money into software to clean up the digitized recordings. I think with the right software you can correct pitch, reduce hiss, etc. You also need to consider what you are using to capture that sound on the computer end. Something better than the average soundcard I hope. After all, once you have copied all the cassettes, what use is the cassette deck anymore but the software and computer interface will be useful for a good while. Just my two cents.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »
I recently transferred all my cassette masters again, this time at 24 bit
using a Tascam 112 MKII (XLR out) > Tascam HD-P2 (XLR in)
and some of those date back to 1983 and none of them were deteriorated
I'm sure none of those tapes are good enough for alot of collectors because I didn't use azimuth adjustment... oh well!
I did a few tapes a few years back using the V3 (SPDIF out) I owned at the time, and don't feel like I really gained anything using the V3

I guess it boils down to what you plan on doing with those recordings, I'm happy with how I transferred mine

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
I guess it boils down to what you plan on doing with those recordings, I'm happy with how I transferred mine

There ya go! If you are happy with the results then no use in worrying about if it could have been done better.

Another taper gave box after box of cassettes he got in trades rather than moving them when he left town. I sorted them and need to see how many I already have in digital format from the bittorrent sites then digitize the others. I guess I'll try to pass them on after that.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 01:19:33 AM »
I recorded many documentary cassettes that included music during the mid-1970s, and transferred them to digital over the past ten years using a Nakamichi Dragon. While a few of the old cassettes jammed mechanically and their tape packs had to be transferred into new shells, the overall sound was still quite good, depending on the recording conditions, of course.

But just as a comment on one of the messages above, the maximum dynamic range of a Dolby-B cassette is only on the order of 60 dB, so 16-bit transfers are more than adequate (way more, in fact; 12-bit transfers would have been equally good!). Certainly nothing is gained by using 24-bit encoding with cassette source material. Even 15 ips Dolby-A master tapes (which I made plenty of back in those years) don't match the dynamic range of a 16-bit A/D converter.

Optimal azimuth adjustment definitely matters--otherwise you don't get the high-frequency response of the original recording, and then the Dolby system mistracks as well, increasing the degree of the loss. Over time all tapes lose some of their short-wavelength magnetization, which of course affects the high frequencies the most--and with slower-speed tape this effect is more pronounced, because then even the upper midrange frequencies have short magnetic wavelengths. Maybe you can rent or borrow a Dragon somewhere?

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com