Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Will portabrace ao-1x or 1.5x be good fit for hd-p2, vms5u, & Mytek 192?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline jadedphan

• gear owned:
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • at one with the cosmic rhythms
    • seeded recordings found on: http://bt.etree.org - search jadedphan
Hey gang,

Looking for the bag with the right fit. I run a schoeps vms 5u, a Tascam hd-p2, and a Mytek 192.

Any suggestions appreciated-I'd hate to buy more than I need. Looking for the smallest bag that will comfortable fit/support my gear. I'm currently lookin online at a portabrace ao-1x or ao-1.5x, but really can't tell.

Always wanted a portabrace, but open to suggestions as well.

Also accepting sales offers if you have the perfect bag you're looking to dump ;)
-bry
mics: schoeps mk4v, mk41v (matched), mk22 (matched) , mk41 (matched), mk22 (not part of matched pair)/MK8 (mid/side); neumann u89i, neumann km150

preamps: aeta psp3, schoeps vms02ib, vms5u x 2, sonosax sx-m2, sx-m2d2;

recorders: sound devices: mixpre 6ii, mixpre 10ii; sony: d7 & d8, tascam da-30mkii

mic bodies: schoeps cmc1L x 4,  neumann km100

actives/specialty cables: ak2Lsu x 14, aksu2ta3 x 6,  aksu2u x 8, 5m nbobs actives (schoeps version), kcy x 2, k5s (5pin stereo) x 10 @ 5m; custom 5 pin 9’, 16’, 12’ (x2), k5Lsu (x 6), nbobs actives (schoeps), custom km100 actives

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Hey gang,

Looking for the bag with the right fit. I run a schoeps vms 5u, a Tascam hd-p2, and a Mytek 192.

Any suggestions appreciated-I'd hate to buy more than I need. Looking for the smallest bag that will comfortable fit/support my gear. I'm currently lookin online at a portabrace ao-1x or ao-1.5x, but really can't tell.

Always wanted a portabrace, but open to suggestions as well.

Also accepting sales offers if you have the perfect bag you're looking to dump ;)
-bry

I have the 1x. Whats the longest dimension on the P2? I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't fit in the 1x and I have reservations on the 1.5x.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
I have an AO-2U.  Not sure of the dimension differences.  But it fits a 744 and 2 v2's. 

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11

I ran my R4 in a Portabrace AO-1X. Fit with room to spare... so it will probably fit your HD P2 but not your Mytek in addition. You could put the VMS in the RM pouch with the mics/mounting hardware but with the Mytek in the mix you are going to have to go bigger.

I got a Lowe AW200 Magnum that is very roomy but it's wider than it is tall. Height is going to be your challenge with finding something to fit the Mytek if you run it vertical.

That being said I didn't think the PB case offered the best protection and I didn't like that it had only clear window on top and no other top cover. The clear window didn't seal on the sides so it was not rain proof. Just getting to the car/cab/hotel/train station after a show in the rain could let in a lot of water. I always carried a plastic bag just in case but it seemed a little ghetto to put a bag over a $150 case with $2K in gear in it.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
I got a Lowe AW200 Magnum that is very roomy but it's wider than it is tall. Height is going to be your challenge with finding something to fit the Mytek if you run it vertical.

That being said I didn't think the PB case offered the best protection ...

I'm in this camp also.  I can't really knock the PB bags...they're nice and I especially love the leather PB strap.  But for all the great press you read here about the PB and the PEGZ bags, and I've owned them both, I'm happiest with the Lowepro AW series because of overall protection and all of the extra zippered pocket, which have lots of extra zippered pouches that are inside the pockets (or are the pockets inside the pouches?!? :P).  Pocket space isn't really a problem on the PEGZ but just like the PB bag, it's open on top (even with the top flap closed), so once it starts raining you're kinda screwed without a plastic bag.  The PB bags that I've owned have zero pouches unless you buy an add-on, and even then it's just a single add on pouch with no internal pockets or zippered storage spaced.  The Lowepro AW has a full length zippered top with a flap that overlaps over the zipper.  If it starts raining really hard, there's a permanently attached rain fly in a zippered pouch in the back.  The Lowepro AW has a reinforced bottom.  It's just a great versatile 'holds anything' gear bag.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired

I ran my R4 in a Portabrace AO-1X. Fit with room to spare... so it will probably fit your HD P2 but not your Mytek in addition. You could put the VMS in the RM pouch with the mics/mounting hardware but with the Mytek in the mix you are going to have to go bigger.

You sure that was a 1x? Ive got one and by all accounts the main compartment is tiny... It's only 10x6x6. That's even gives a V2 trouble because of the height, while the old R4 is like 8x8 IIRC.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
i tried the 1.5 with my v3, mytek and 744.  returned it

also tried the pegz2 and pegz3 - returned them

kata sundo 1 didn't work, either. 

the mytek makes it tough...

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
the mytek is almost the same size as a v2  if run on it' side and the knob is taken off.

Photos:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2889465810053876969ztXnxb

I know you want to buy a nice bag but you can always build a rack. 

Photos:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2562954110053876969rlgbTE
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:09:28 AM by airbladder »
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
have a AO 2.0 and  can run a 702, v3 back to back and a m248 fits PERFECT on the width and depth pushed over to the far side.  that fills the bag.  ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
have a AO 2.0 and  can run a 702, v3 back to back and a m248 fits PERFECT on the width and depth pushed over to the far side.  that fills the bag.  ed

The AO-2 (14x6x8) would work best of the 4 bags Portabrace offers pending a couple of things. The hdp2 is 10.25"x7.75" So that would fit as long as you didn't need to insert any cables on the back sit that it would rest on. The Mytek (based on the picture of the Grace) night be able to sit up right, but would easily fit on it's side. The problem is that the VMS is over 6" wide or long so you can't run it on the side even though there would be room there and would have to stick it in the exterior pocket and then just fill the inside with mics/accessories/etc instead of that side pocket. There are holes to run cables through without exiting the bag, but it's not optimum IMHO. The AO-1.5 & 1 are too small, and the AO4 is too shallow (only 7" instead of 8) so the p2 doesn't fit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.197 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com