Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen and/or dead rats  (Read 2178 times)

Offline scdegraaf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Windscreen and/or dead rats
« on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:13 AM »
I'm not an outdoor taper, so I'm not very familair with windscreens/dead rats, however I think I may need one or the other.
Some time ago I recorded at an indoor venue, well actaully it was a large party tent. I recorded near the speaker stacks and the recording
came out fine,except occasionally the blower they put next to the speaker stacks could be heard.

To avoid this what should I use next time: a windscreen, dead rats or both? Which types would fit the CA14's and
where in Europe can I buy those?
I thought I read a post from Chris that he makes dead rats now, but I can't find it anymore.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Windscreen and/or dead rats
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:24:07 AM »
I don't think there are any commercial windscreens that tapers are using to put over the built in CA14 screens.

I haven't seen or used any of Chris's rats but I believe this is the thread you're looking for:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=135931.0

Another TS member making rats:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.0
I used a pair of his on my CA14s outdoors recently and while I did pick up some very mild wind noise during some very strong gusts, I would definitely recommend these.

I'd definitely grab a pair of wind cutters (dead rats) if you can.  Getting them from members here will be either Church (canada) or tBrown (US) so I'm not sure if they'd be the best way to go in Europe. 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
If you want overkill, insert the CA14s in a pair of Shure A81WS screens. They fit a little snuggly but they do fit. Not sure what the combination of screens does to the high frequencies though and that combo rules out being low profile.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
except occasionally the blower they put next to the speaker stacks could be heard.

Was it blowing directly on the mics or can you just hear the machine noise in the background?

If the former, windscreens and/or dead rats will help (but as flipp says, neither option really lend itself to low-profile recording situations), if the later, move away from the blower as what you're getting isn't wind noise.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:32:07 PM »
For the record, I've used Chris' dead rats with my CA-14's and they've saved my butt a few times during very windy recording situations.  Just thought I'd add that in for anybody else toying with getting them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com