Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Setting up schoeps mk41v's XY  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
Setting up schoeps mk41v's XY
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. Any suggestions?
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Setting up schoeps mk41v's XY
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. Any suggestions?
a

whats your shockmounts or are you investing in that as well?

The official XY config on Schoeps' site is the M 100 C setup (Tbar, the active clips pointed together, get a spacer to jack one clip up higher). Their 4VXY "stereo mics" however are spaced horizontally, not vertically. I'm not sure I agree with that, but ymmv, so technically an option would be to just reduce the space to where you use an MS windscreen and put them next to each other on a sideways MS mount (pointed upward zman-style).

The (.)(.) would be to find the blumlein mount. I know they did one for the full bodies, but there is bound to be something for the actives/ccms. Maybe something from Rycote or a third party. I can't find pictures of it online on short notice.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
mount them like you would any other pair of mics.  With the vert. arrangement, you can go one on top of the other in a straight "stick" formation (one mic upside down, the other beneath it right side up...twisted at 90deg from each other).

the straight up on a T bar way ..., same as regular XY only pay attention to the capsule arrangement so that they are right over each other.
I have a picture of some 414's setup like this.  If I can find it, I'll post it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:33:40 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »
Either the AMS 22....  vertical, side-by-side.  Schoeps claims that the capsules are close enough together that it would be considered XY.
Or two Shure A53M mounts on a Shure Vert Bar (or similar).  The capsules would be mounted just like a pair of LD mics....  vertical, one on top of the other.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
Either the AMS 22....  vertical, side-by-side.  Schoeps claims that the capsules are close enough together that it would be considered XY.
Or two Shure A53M mounts on a Shure Vert Bar (or similar).  The capsules would be mounted just like a pair of LD mics....  vertical, one on top of the other.

I was thinking about the shure vert bar. If put them right next to each other, do I just turn them 90 degrees...like din with no spacing?
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »

The Schoeps UMS 20 mounting bar would work or any t-bar that allows you to orient the microphone head-to-head as pictured.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
If you can find the Blumlein mount that looks like a paint roller when you put the windscreen (Schoeps WB Windscreen) on that would be perfect. Otherwise, just use a vark bar vertically with some SGC clips and you'll get the same thing
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »

I was thinking about the shure vert bar. If put them right next to each other, do I just turn them 90 degrees...like din with no spacing?

Yep...  just angle the "red dots" at 90*.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »

The Schoeps UMS 20 mounting bar would work or any t-bar that allows you to orient the microphone head-to-head as pictured.

Bingo, thats what I was looking for. Then you just cut the spacing between the caps.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »
I wouldn't advise people to set up a pair of MK 41 V capsules directly side by side (or the MK 8, either). That kind of arrangement is considerably more successful when the MK 4 V (cardioid) capsules are used, which is how the CMXY 4V stereo microphones are arranged. But these "vertical supercardioid" capsules seem to interfere with one another when they are immediately adjacent to one another. A few years ago I tried it a couple of times, as did some other people, and none of us were very happy with the result. This is why Schoeps doesn't offer a "CMXY 41 V" stereo microphone.

I would either separate the capsules by an inch or more in the horizontal plane (which of course is no longer strictly X/Y, but for most people a good-sounding stereo pickup is more important than perfect stereo/mono compatibility) or else place them "head to head" one above the other.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com