Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Recorder with Line-In +4dbv ?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline chapmania

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which Recorder with Line-In +4dbv ?
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
Hello Folks, I stumbled across this board last night by chance and spent hours reading many threads, it's fantastic stuff!

I'm currently in the market for a new digital recorder (Upgrading from a slowly dying Sony HI-MD Minidisc recorder)

The main requirement is for a line input that can handle the +4dbv (I think thats the right spec!) signal from professional mixers. My budget is around £200.
So far my research has thrown up the Sony M10, Tascam DR-07 (original), Tascam DR-01 and Tascam DR-2D as units capable of this in my price range.
Is it a resounding "Get the Sony M10" or is there perhaps something else out there that I've overlooked. I.E a recording device that just does line-in recordings?

Thanks for any suggestions that you may be able to provide.

Peter.

P.S I won't be a user that asks one question and never returns, I know I'm going to be hooked!  :laugh:

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Which Recorder with Line-In +4dbv ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
People here do love the M10, and it's a very reliable unit with massive battery life. 

I'd at least consider the DR2D IF you want 4-channel functionality, which is something people increasingly seem to want.

I would probably not consider the other two over the M10.  Also, I am under the impression that the DR-07 will not take as hot of an output as the M10 will, as there have been some complaints here of people overloading it.  But I'll let others speak to that.

Like most here, I own an M10 and I like mine.  I also would not hesitate to purchase an Edirol R-09HR *if* I could get a much better price than on an M10, as I think it's also a very solid unit.  I only "upgraded" to the M10 because I cracked the screen on my Edirol due to user error (putting in bag with too many heavy objects)  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
I have been researching this topic without sleep for the last few days.  The M10 and D50 seem to be the way to go for +4dbu pro line level in a handheld.  The only limitation is the 1/8" jack.   A balanced XLR solution would be the PMD661, though that my be a little more than you want to spend....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline chapmania

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
Thank you for the replies so far.

I used to use my minidisc recorder with the microphone input for recording musical performances but sadly the unit became very noisey with the disc constantly churning away rendering it rather useless, so these days its used just to record off my own mixer at home via line-in, even then it will fail mid recording!

The specsheet for the DR-07 says it can take +6dbu unlike the mk2 which is -4dbv.

I think the M10 will be the way to go, buy once and buy well!

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
I believe you are misinterpreting the specs. A pro mixer with +4 out(Nominal) would have max levels around +24
The specs for the DR-07 and like consumer recorders say max input line level +6, +4, -4.. doesn't make any difference.. these are all -10 nominal levels, and could use some kind of pad or -10 output from a pro mixer.
Has nothing to do with signal to noise.. just level matching.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com