Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microdot connector  (Read 4009 times)

Offline wal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microdot connector
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:31:24 AM »
Hi all,
I am an electronics engineer from Manchester, UK..
Just wondered if anyone here has fitted a microdot connector to a DPA 4060 etc?
Is a special tool required?
Cheers,
Wal...

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Whats next?
Re: Microdot connector
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:46:52 AM »
If you are referring to the female connector, the one that would be on the battery pack or pre then you can get those parts rigjt from dpa, at least you can here in the states

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
As far as I'm aware, there are three microdot connectors:
1) the male cable connector (which is what is on the mic lead)
2) female panel connector (like what is on the MMA6000 preamp)
3) female barell connector (used for connecting two male dots on extention cables, custom 'Y's etc)

The male microdot connector requires a special DPA installation crimp tool.  I don't think the female panel requires any special tools, but I haven't installed one.  the barrel connecor has a treaded body and simply screws in to the male.

Note that I may have the gender description backwards.  I'm refering to the center signal lead itself, not the threaded connection part, which is the opposite gender.  Example: the barrel connector is threaded male on it's outside (like a screw), but has a female connection for the center conductor.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »
As far as I'm aware, there are three microdot connectors:
1) the male cable connector (which is what is on the mic lead)
2) female panel connector (like what is on the MMA6000 preamp)
3) female barell connector (used for connecting two male dots on extention cables, custom 'Y's etc)

The male microdot connector requires a special DPA installation crimp tool.  I don't think the female panel requires any special tools, but I haven't installed one.  the barrel connecor has a treaded body and simply screws in to the male.

Note that I may have the gender description backwards.  I'm refering to the center signal lead itself, not the threaded connection part, which is the opposite gender.  Example: the barrel connector is threaded male on it's outside (like a screw), but has a female connection for the center conductor.

I have male connectors that dont require a special tool they are not DPA but they work with DPA. I have about 150 or so of them. I bought them thinking people would order preamps with microdots but as it turns out most of my customers that run DPA dont use microdots.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
That's pretty cool Chris.  I'll have to keep that in mind and drop you a line when I need some.  Are they cable end connectors or pannel type?

I've seen what looks like the same mini-coax connectors on other electronic test gear, and figured someone else must make them too.

I've used the cut-off microdot ends along the barrel conectors to make 'Y' cables so that I don't have to reterminate the mics to mate with other connectors like minijack or mini-xlr.  Plus it allows me to disconnect the 'Y' if I need to split the mics and run extention cables.  It keeps me from having to connect the dots unless I need to reconfigure things.  If yours are cable end type, you might consider offering such adapter cables as a product for your customers that would rather not reterminate but want to connect to non microdot gear.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Apologies for the complete thread hijack but having seen that you're in Manchester...

Would you be willing to use your skills to rewire my PS-2's output to a minijack? I think it's a straightforward job but my soldering skills are just not up to it.

Won't be offended if you don't fancy it.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
That's pretty cool Chris.  I'll have to keep that in mind and drop you a line when I need some.  Are they cable end connectors or pannel type?

I've seen what looks like the same mini-coax connectors on other electronic test gear, and figured someone else must make them too.

I've used the cut-off microdot ends along the barrel conectors to make 'Y' cables so that I don't have to reterminate the mics to mate with other connectors like minijack or mini-xlr.  Plus it allows me to disconnect the 'Y' if I need to split the mics and run extention cables.  It keeps me from having to connect the dots unless I need to reconfigure things.  If yours are cable end type, you might consider offering such adapter cables as a product for your customers that would rather not reterminate but want to connect to non microdot gear.

I have 150 of each male and female.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com