Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony pcm-m10 Auto Record Level  (Read 5654 times)

Offline Shaun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony pcm-m10 Auto Record Level
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:55:50 AM »
I recently made a live recording and accidentally had the Auto Record Level switched on. Playing back the finished recording (as well as the quite obvious drop in sound quality compared to manual record level) I find there are about six instances of what I can only assume is mobile phone interference. In each case the volume on the recording decreases (over a couple of seconds) then there are a few seconds of electronic clicking sounds then the volume increases back to the original level.

I'm using SP-CMC-20 mics into battery box into line in on the pcm-m10. The thing is I have used this set up many times at this venue, also the same mics and battery box with mini-disc and never once picked up mobile phone interference despite everyone having and using mobiles all the time. Is this anything to do with using (accidentally) the auto record level on the pcm-m10? or have I just been lucky up to now?

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: Sony pcm-m10 Auto Record Level
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 07:55:16 AM »
"In each case the volume on the recording decreases (over a couple of seconds) then there are a few seconds of electronic clicking sounds then the volume increases back to the original level."

This doesn't sound like cell phone interference.  Like you stated, you accidentally had the Auto Record level switched on, it sounds like it engaged in each of these instances probably because you hit a threshold and it took action to lower the volume.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
Yes I thought it may be the auto record level kicking in due to the volume level decreasing, but it's when the volume gets to it's lowest level that the clicking/interference noise appears. I've loaded the recording into audacity (sorry can't post an image of the result) and the whole recording is well below any clipping level, except for the instances of clicking/interference which brickwall every time.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
Clicking sounds like it could be a bad cable!!  I had this issue before and it was a poorly made cable. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
Clicking sounds like it could be a bad cable!!  I had this issue before and it was a poorly made cable.

Yep, if the clicking has a "crackling" sound then that's the culprit.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Shaun

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »
Many thanks for the replies. Don't think it's a bad cable, there is no crackling sound, it's more like a digital sound (if that makes sense), and it's on both left and right channels in equal measure. I'll have to try and post a sample over the weekend (and maybe an image capture from audacity).

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Do a test at home, recording your tv or stereo playing back music and see if you can capture this problem again.  Try a new battery too, maybe the battery for the bbox is bad.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline captainentropy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
Shaun, I had the same thing happen to me last night. I'm so pissed and disappointed with this feature of the recorder. I'm going to take it apart and remove the switch so this won't happen again (I'm concerned gaffer tape will come off at the wrong moment). It completely ruined a perfect performance from the band and venue I was at, and with perfect position to the stage. I was at a show they did two nights earlier at a different venue that had a few sound issues and that recording came out great. But that damned switch was on manual.

The sound I hear is an electrical whine/buzz. It's low, but in both channels and consistent through the recording. No difference in the way I set up my mics (CA-14 > battery box > M10 - rec level 5, LPCM, 24bit, 96kHz).

I haven't done a test like George suggests, I'm just now listening to my recording at work and started fuming when I checked the settings on the recorder. The man/auto switch was the only thing out of place.  >:(

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
Shaun, I had the same thing happen to me last night. I'm so pissed and disappointed with this feature of the recorder. I'm going to take it apart and remove the switch so this won't happen again (I'm concerned gaffer tape will come off at the wrong moment). It completely ruined a perfect performance from the band and venue I was at, and with perfect position to the stage. I was at a show they did two nights earlier at a different venue that had a few sound issues and that recording came out great. But that damned switch was on manual.

The sound I hear is an electrical whine/buzz. It's low, but in both channels and consistent through the recording. No difference in the way I set up my mics (CA-14 > battery box > M10 - rec level 5, LPCM, 24bit, 96kHz).

I haven't done a test like George suggests, I'm just now listening to my recording at work and started fuming when I checked the settings on the recorder. The man/auto switch was the only thing out of place.  >:(

I put a piece of gaffer tape over all those switches 3 years ago and never had a issue and 95% of what i record is "less than open"

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »
I put a piece of gaffer tape over all those switches 3 years ago and never had a issue and 95% of what i record is "less than open"

Same here.  Tape over the switch should work fine.
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 12:15:04 PM »
I keep my phone as far away as possible from the recorder and batterybox . I have heard serious interference on a friend's recording .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
I superglued my 2 M10s switches on the back. Has worked like a charm so far ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.203 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com