Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Avantone CK-40 arrives (now with M-S sample)  (Read 2007 times)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Avantone CK-40 arrives (now with M-S sample)
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
Got my Avantone CK-40 stereo mic a few days ago.  These have been backordered for months.  It's a Chinese LDC.  They supposedly QC the hell out of these mics and reportedly upgrade switches and wire in the process.  Got it for $522 delivered.  Competitors include the Studio Projects LSD2, the Audio Technica AT4050ST, the Busman BSCS-L, and the Peluso P.  I think the Busman is the only mic that comes in at the same price, at least right now.

The Avantone has 35 mm diaphragms.  Each capsule has three patterns (omni [why? :P], card, figure eight).  The top capsule rotates to allow for X-Y, M-S and Blumlein.  The thing is a beast at 11" tall and two pounds.  Hard to keep it upright even though the shockmount they provide is decent.  The mic has self-noise of 17 dB, which is quite respectable. 

I monkeyed around with M-S using my stereo system as a source.  The SD722 allows you to hear the on-the-fly matrix mix in phones and it is a really convenient feature.  Also psyched to try Blumlein in the right room. 

Not sure what the maiden voyage will be--probably the jazz quintet I play with and a benefit show scheduled in October.  Planning on recording some music at the local university too.  I'll post a clip then....

Addendum 10-15-11

An admittedly low-fi (128kb MP3) sample from last night (jazz quintet I play with).  Terrible room: picture window behind drummer, framed glass photos on the wall, half-wall in the way.  Recorded M-S (my first time), and it sounded better than I expected.  M-S is pretty amazing to play with too!  Mic was about 8 feet in front of the band, 5 feet high.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:13:33 PM by thunderbolt »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com