Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD 302 & DR-680  (Read 3379 times)

Offline DBYDWN83

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
SD 302 & DR-680
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
Hello,
Asking a question here as I'm hopeful there's a DR-680 owner that can nudge me along. I'm a sound NOOB with new gear and trying to sort out all the technical issues. I have an SD-302 and a Tascam DR-680. My SD-302 is set up to output the factory standard +4db line out, and the 1k tone hits it's meters at O.

When feeding the SD 302 into the Tascam, with the Tascam's built-in limiter OFF, the 1k tone goes to about -20db on the Tascam's meter. Would this be correct?  With the limiter on, it's the same thing.

However, when sending a real signal in from the SD 302, and adjusting the input level on the Tascam, I still can't get anything higher than about -35db. I have to crank the SD-302 to 75%
to get this. A very low signal.

Should I even have to use the input levels on the Tascam? I thought the idea was that it would take any signal up until the point of clipping, and the volume would be controlled by the preamp.

Just trying to get these two going, and learning along the way.

Thanks,
Parker
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:50:11 PM by DBYDWN83 »

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SD 302 & DR-680
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 01:13:58 PM »
Careful, all db's are not the same -- for instance, dbm is a measure of power, dbV and dbu are measures of voltage, and dbFS (db referenced to Full Scale digital for pcm encoding) is a measurement of the digital scale.  dbV and dbu are analog measures of voltage and cannot be compared directly/universally with the digital dbFS as their relationships depend on the actual equipment being used.

The 302 can output a voltage as high as +20dbu, so if you are running it at 0dbu you are running it at a pretty low level, and well below its clipping level (20dbu below clipping actually). Conversely, the DR680 can take a line input of +24dbu before it clips (i.e., hits 0dbFS).

Bottom line, try giving a lot more gain on the 302.  The max output of the 302 (+20dbu) will not clip the inputs of the 680 (max input of +24dbu), so the only thing you need to worry about is that you do not clip the 302, which occurs at +20dbu, not 0dbu.  As long as the clip lights/LEDs on the 302 do not come on (assuming it has them, but I'd guess that it does), you will be fine.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:52 AM »
0dBu tone should line up to -20dBFS according to SMPTE standards- it's possible to change the level of tone in the SD302's menu system, though.  Typically you'd be looking to peak at -12dBFS (+8dBu on your mixer's scale).  For music recording you'll probably want the limiters off, as they may be set to come on at this level

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
0dBu tone should line up to -20dBFS according to SMPTE standards- it's possible to change the level of tone in the SD302's menu system, though.  Typically you'd be looking to peak at -12dBFS (+8dBu on your mixer's scale).  For music recording you'll probably want the limiters off, as they may be set to come on at this level

Many manufacturers don't adhere to that standard, though...

Offline sk-1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:55 PM »
I would recommend turning the Dr680's limiters off at all times. They are digital and so will not save you from clipping in the analog domain. In fact they won't really save you from anything and in my opinion are there only to look good on the spec sheet. Same thing for the low cut filters - digital and completely ineffective.

If you need to, use the limiters and filters on the 302 which will serve you very well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com