Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 to match a running timecode display (time of day)  (Read 9817 times)

Offline digging90650

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Deep Owl. sound • light • camera
Tascam DR-680 to match a running timecode display (time of day)
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:12:18 PM »
Just sent this question to Tascam Support but I figured someone on here might know something:
I'm trying to set the clock on my DR-680 to match a running timecode display (time of day) and can't seem to get the numbers to match. I'm recording 48/24 .BWF. The timecode display is going at 23.976 FPS which seems to be correct with the DR-680. I set the date/time of the DR-680 with the timecode display like syncing two watches.
I've opened the .BWF files on my computer with remetacator, a program which reads all information in a .BWF and the originator times never match up with the timecode time for the file.
Is there anything anyone can tell me about the DR-680 clock and what information gets written to the .BWF created by the DR-680? I just want to be able to get a close match between the file's timestamp and a running timecode display. I don't expect to get frame accurate I'd just like to get close.
Thanks!

Offline TomBoisseau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-680 to match a running timecode display (time of day)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »
While I have not specifically done it with the DR-680, I have often recorded time code on a spare audio channel with very good results. 

I understand that some NLE's, such as Avid, allow you to read timecode from an audio channel.  Additionally, “FCP auxTC reader” from VideoToolShed allows you read the timecode from a specified audio channel and creates a new file with the timecode imbedded in the metadata.  It is a stand alone program and should be compatible with various editing software.

Tom

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:24:52 AM »
There are a myriad of problems w/ the 680. Id just chalk that up to number #876 thats wrong w/ the 680 :P ;D
Really Bean does this have anything to do with his question?  At this point the 680 just gets a bunch of trash talk without regard to the facts or actual use and operation of these decks.  It doesn't help to post a bunch of vague negatives on a subject that has nothing to do with the problems that are actually discussed much more in depth in other threads with regards to this deck...why post without any first hand knowledge about the OP's question in regards to how the deck operates? All it does is muddy the waters with innuendo and hearsay and has no solid information or facts that relate to the original question posed.  And the Myriad you speak of has a great deal to do with the choice to power the deck with batteries that do NOT meet the manufactures specs.   Whether or not it should handle it is another discussion entirely, but it is a fact that about 50% of the problems reported here on TS can be linked to using voltages outside of what the manual states.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:04:53 PM by kirkd »

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
No SMPTE TC on DR-680.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline digging90650

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Deep Owl. sound • light • camera
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Yeah, I've thought about going the route of recording TC onto an audio channel. Bleed through tends to be a problem when you do that on other recorders, figured it'd be the same on the 680. Also, I usually hand files over to someone else at end of day and most editors/producers don't know anything about sound. Dumb slate works fine but it'd be nice to have a visual of the TC so they could type it in and be close to the sticks.
I've been using the 680 for over a year now. It has plenty of flaws and I'd love to get a 744/88 or nomad, but this little bastard does a fine job with merely shades of difference in sound quality from the expensive stuff for dialogue and other on-set sound for video.
True, the 680 doesn't have a SMPTE TC i/o and no way to jam sync to other devices but when you record in .BWF it does timestamp the file with time-of-day TC at 23.976 FPS. I'm just hoping someone here or at Tascam knows what the deal is with the date/time setting. I think it's possible to set it close to a running display...it's just off by about 2 minutes right now and the originator data doesn't match the timestamp data. Hoping to figure it out! Thanks for any help.

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:15 AM »
Clocks on devices like the DR-680 and cameras (especially DSLRs) aren't that accurate, so it's likely that they'll drift theoughout the day and there's no way of syncing them (no wordclock/genlock), although the fact it's 2 minutes off seems a bit buggy (is it always by the same amount?). Also have a look on the audio board at dvxuser.com there are quite a few people using DR-680's for production sound

I'll usually try and match the time on the camera and my recorder, but if it's properly slated you should be fine. 

You should be ok putting TC onto an audio channel, use a big pad on it (eg 50dB) to prevent bleed. However, it's not standard workflow (especially as you need to buy a plugin for FCP), talk to whoever's doing post first.  If post require TC, it's probably best to hire an SD 7 series or similar (and they'll need a lockit/TC slate for camera).

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
The DR 680 will sync it's wordclock to the digital input - So if you have a digital signal with a better clock that may help - but I doubt the internal Time Of Day clock is linked to the Word clock.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline biowaves

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »
Hi I own DR-680 recorder and am trying to save or stamp local time on the file somehow (or better yet, the start time of the file to the filename). RIght now my solution is an (external) GPS clock that will record an audio signal onto an extra channel that needs to be decoded with a timecode reader. These units cost about $500 on up (not including the reader) so are not cheap!  I would like a better solution. FYI I do bio-acoustic research and need local time somehow stamped on the file.  All I really need to know is the exact start time of the file and we have software that can keep track of time after that.  I am not familiar with the BWF format but it seems this can do it, but apparently the DR630 doesn't timestamp to that format (or so I read somewhere).  WOuld be interested to know what you found out.
-Tom

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com