Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&H Recorder Roundup  (Read 5666 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
B&H Recorder Roundup
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
- What's this knob do?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: B&H Recorder Roundup
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
digifish!!! Welcome back!!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
digifish!!! Welcome back!!

Yes I am (still) alive :)

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 10:07:01 PM »
Cool article...  THere is a comp of the bag-sized recorders in there as well...  Look for the Link...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »
Neat review
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:16:42 AM »
Such a sales pitch! I read the bag recorders one first, and it doesn't have a bad thing or negative feature mention in the whole article. It is dated July 2011, so it's not as "christmas-y" as the December 1st edition.

They "try" to make it look like they're writing a critical review... and then they lead with this:
"Sadly, you cannot incubate a portable digital recorder and hatch a baby chicken."  ::)

The detailed comparison has such BS as this bit about the Sony recorders:
Unlike most recorders, it features separate circuit boards for analog audio, digital audio, recording and power. The result is an ultra-low noise floor for pristine recordings.
Oh yeah, pristine, that's the way I like 'em. With all due respect, which is not any based on this sales blurb!? (I love my M10's for their size, voltage-loving line inputs, and battery life. Also the cool stickers I put on them.)
If you like the way the Sony PCM D50 offers improved circuitry and microphones for superior portable recording quality, but you want to strive for even better sound capture in the field, the Sony PCM D1 is the only way to go.
Ahem. I guess I'll stop reading forever.

I like the idea of a comparison, but what I've read so far is more of a salesman's-helper!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:18:59 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
Good observation, morst. Most tech sites are very light on the criticism and that's not good because its hard to accurately pick a recorder worth a damn, but that's what makes TS great! 
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

zowie

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
They're not even a tech site.  They're a retailer.  Why would you ever expect them to criticize anything they sell?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »
I was there yesterday hoping to score an open box return (no luck) and was looking at the recorder display. A woman walked up with a salesperson and said "I want a recorder with decent built-in mics, but will also work well with external mics." He led her straight to the H4n, and was kinda giving her the hard sell on it. She mentioned that they have PMD-660s at her school, and he said the newer version is the 661 but he wouldn't recommend it over the Zoom since they're noisy. I had to pipe in and said I strongly disagree. I told her about this site and how she could get a lot of objective input here before I walked away. I'm thinking they get some sort of incentives from manufacturers.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »
I'm thinking they get some sort of incentives from manufacturers.
they're called COMMISSION! ($$$)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
I'm thinking they get some sort of incentives from manufacturers.
they're called COMMISSION! ($$$)

Yes, but she asked about a more expensive deck, and he was still pushing the Zoom. If it was a straight commision situation he could've tried to push her up to a D1 to see if she blinked. Something else above commision going on in IMHO.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
I had to pipe in and said I strongly disagree. I told her about this site and how she could get a lot of objective input here before I walked away. I'm thinking they get some sort of incentives from manufacturers.

Nice job! I am thankful I found this site because it beats the hell out of amazon reviews and other silly websites that probably are retail affiliate websites. I'm sure some of the people at b&h are very aware of what recorders are better than others, but simply don't care about the customer need but that's the reason independent consumer research is important.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 04:31:46 PM »
The reason I posted this is because it gives an overview of the current crop of hand-held recorders, not because it was a critical comparative review.

As others have pointed out, B&H are a retailer, so they will only (generally) point out the strengths of each unit.

It's a 'round up' and a good one IMO

Regards Scott
- What's this knob do?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
The detailed comparison has such BS as this bit about the Sony recorders:
Unlike most recorders, it features separate circuit boards for analog audio, digital audio, recording and power. The result is an ultra-low noise floor for pristine recordings.
Oh yeah, pristine, that's the way I like 'em. With all due respect, which is not any based on this sales blurb!? (I love my M10's for their size, voltage-loving line inputs, and battery life. Also the cool stickers I put on them.)
If you like the way the Sony PCM D50 offers improved circuitry and microphones for superior portable recording quality, but you want to strive for even better sound capture in the field, the Sony PCM D1 is the only way to go.
Ahem. I guess I'll stop reading forever.

I like the idea of a comparison, but what I've read so far is more of a salesman's-helper!

How is any of that information about the Sony recorders false?  The D50 does indeed have four separate circuit boards.  What's wrong with wanting pristine recordings?  The noise floor of the D50 is lower than many other portable recorders; check out the comparisons that Sonic Studios did as a reference.

Yes, it's sales oriented, but to a neophyte, it is a very useful piece.  I wish that there was something like this around when I was researching portable digital recorders a few years back.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com