Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seeking Recorder Recommendation for Public Meetings  (Read 2036 times)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Seeking Recorder Recommendation for Public Meetings
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
I need to pick up a recorder for work for my boss to use to record public meetings.  The smaller the better, and the more versatile the better, since sometimes he might set it on his lap and sometimes it might be in a shirt pocket (if he gets the sense that recording would be frowned upon).  Internal mics only, and the quality of the mics isn't important other than the need for them to capture the dialogue adequately.  The considerations are the following:

IMPORTANT
1.  Smaller the better (must be smaller than an M10)
2.  Trying to stay at or below $150
3.  Ease of operation for someone not used to operating one (AGC is important here, but I suspect this is available on all of them)
4.  Runs on alkalines
5.  At least 6 hours on a couple of AA's.
6.  Built-in speaker
7.  The "boxier" the better -- I really think he'd look at me like I'm an idiot if I got him something like the DR-07mkII.  I'm sure he doesn't want to see the mics protruding from the unit, since that would make it harder for him to record with it sitting on his lap without drawing attention.

WOULD BE NICE
1.  Battery life approaching that of the M10, or at least much longer than 6 hours.

I'm not really sure if cards or omnis would be more appropriate for the situation.  I can envision times when he could be sitting quite a ways from the speaker (often without a PA system), in which case cards would be beneficial.  But I don't know that he would have the ability to ensure the cards are oriented properly (or the desire to have to think about it), so omnis might be better.

EDIT TO ADD:  #6 and #7 to the "important" list.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:06:13 AM by mattmiller »
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Seeking Recorder Recommendation for Public Meetings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »
I would say start looking at these: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=374&name=Voice-Recorders&Order=RATING

I have a recorder like these from a few years ago and there's no USB or SD card so it would make it a little more difficult to put the audio on the computer; however, it looks like all these have USB/memory cards but its just something to take in consideration when shopping.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
I would say start looking at these: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=374&name=Voice-Recorders&Order=RATING

I have a recorder like these from a few years ago and there's no USB or SD card so it would make it a little more difficult to put the audio on the computer; however, it looks like all these have USB/memory cards but its just something to take in consideration when shopping.

Actually, we had already gone that route.  Our IT guy picked up one of these for him, he used it once, then handed it to the IT guy to put the audio on a CD for him.  When he couldn't figure out how to do it, I stepped in and did it, and then was asked to get a better one with a USB port so that I could transfer it more quickly for him in the future.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
I think this is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Flash-Recorder-ICD-PX312/dp/B004M8SSZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327000151&sr=8-1

Takes microSD card for expanded memory. Has USB port. Has jack for external mic. Built-in speaker. Boxy. Nice and small.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:37:28 PM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com