Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church CA-11 setup with STC 9000 Pre-Amp  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Church CA-11 setup with STC 9000 Pre-Amp
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:14:22 AM »
Hi All,

I've got the CA-11 mics with the STC 9000 bought from Church Audio last year. I got a few questions, hopefully you guys are willing to help me out:

1. I'm running it over an Edirol R09HR over the line in port and the sound is quite thin and distant - would you guys recommend recording rockshows over the mic in and what are your experiences?

2. Unfortunately I didn't get replies from Chris about getting some new windscreens - unfortunately I've lost mine and I'd like an extra pair, anybody willing to help me out on this one?

3. What would be the ideal setup to record rockshows with this setup?

Thanks hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks!

Thierry

Offline TimSmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Church CA-11 setup with STC 9000 Pre-Amp
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 05:54:55 AM »
I always thought that with external preamp you should use only line in, especially for loud shows. must be enough gain for that.
Also (as I know) you may use your CA-11 directly mic in without a preamp. For loud shows you'll probably won't notice difference between with or without external preamp. I've been successfully using CA-14 into mic in (with sony m10 and battery box) for loud rock.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi All,

I've got the CA-11 mics with the STC 9000 bought from Church Audio last year. I got a few questions, hopefully you guys are willing to help me out:

1. I'm running it over an Edirol R09HR over the line in port and the sound is quite thin and distant - would you guys recommend recording rockshows over the mic in and what are your experiences?

2. Unfortunately I didn't get replies from Chris about getting some new windscreens - unfortunately I've lost mine and I'd like an extra pair, anybody willing to help me out on this one?

3. What would be the ideal setup to record rockshows with this setup?

Thanks hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks!

Thierry

Do not use your CA11 with out a battery box or preamp it might work for some shows. But I guarantee sooner or later you will get distortion with out a battery box or preamp providing enough power. Remember this when people say it worked for me in a "loud show" what does that mean? 95 db? 120db? who knows... And more importantly you wont know until you get home and hear the distortion on your recording.

I did not get any email from you about windscreens they are $5.00 a pair + $3.00 shipping.

If the sound is thin and distant something is wrong dead battery ? problem with the mics?  Bad mic placement?

These mics need to be pointed at the direction of the sound source and put up as high on your body as possible and spread out on ether side of your head if possible.

You already have a good system. Something is not right if you are getting thin sounding recordings.

Make sure the HPF on the preamp is off and its off on the recorder .

Make sure the limiter is off on the recorder.

Make sure you run the volume on the preamp at full.

Make sure you run the gain switch at 0 for really really loud shows +10 for average volume shows and +30 for very quiet shows.

Where you are in the venue will always have the biggest impact on the sound of your recordings.. Are you shy? are you afraid of getting caught? if so maybe you are too far back.

Next time you are at a show take a second to really think about how it sounds where you are.

2 Factors determine sound quality.  The directionality of the sound system and where you are in the sound field and Placement of your mics in that sound field. If they are pointed at the floor or not placed properly or two low on your body, forget about getting a good capture.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions use the email link on my profile to send me a email directly, I will respond if I get the email I always do.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:33:41 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Chris, thanks for your message. I've just sent you an e-mail.

So the mic-in port is a no-go? I'm always recording over the line-in port, so I thought this could be interesting.

Thanks!

Thierry
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:18:32 AM by Thierry »

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
If you really need much gain on recording very quiet stuff going with the preamp into mic-in is also an option.

for loud PA stuff especially heavy metal Line - In is THE Deal.

you should mount your ca11 into croakies on glasses or somethign else for placing them high enough on your body.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
If you really need much gain on recording very quiet stuff going with the preamp into mic-in is also an option.

for loud PA stuff especially heavy metal Line - In is THE Deal.

you should mount your ca11 into croakies on glasses or somethign else for placing them high enough on your body.
agreed. But for acoustic stuff you can use the line input you just have to be careful and monitor the input with headphones so you make sure its not overloading.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com