Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phantom Power to XLRs from Soundboard Patch?  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Thepassenger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Phantom Power to XLRs from Soundboard Patch?
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
Necessary? ???

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Phantom Power to XLRs from Soundboard Patch?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
No, and a very bad idea.

This.

The last thing you want to do to improve taper / venue relations is fry their equipment. There are plenty of cautious venues and sound engineers that won't let anyone plug unknown cables into their console for exactly this reason.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:13:36 AM »
No, and a very bad idea.

This.

The last thing you want to do to improve taper / venue relations is fry their equipment. There are plenty of cautious venues and sound engineers that won't let anyone plug unknown cables into their console for exactly this reason.

Yes, indeed.  I had a band engineer tell me the first time I recorded with him that he never gave out soundboard patches, despite what their management promised me.  After I saw him and recorded said band a few times (and he realized I wasn't a complete moron; debatable, depending on who you talk to ;D), he began giving me patches and admitted that his concern for the band/venue's board generally kept him from doing it for just that reason.

runonce

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
No, and a very bad idea.

This.

Yes, indeed.  I had a band engineer tell me the first time I recorded with him that he never gave out soundboard patches, despite what their management promised me.  After I saw him and recorded said band a few times (and he realized I wasn't a complete moron; debatable, depending on who you talk to ;D), he began giving me patches and admitted that his concern for the band/venue's board generally kept him from doing it for just that reason.

I've always suspected that "allowing" soundboard feeds sounds like a better idea to a band than the poor soundguy.

Its like declaring open season another guys gear. I think soundmen should seek revenge and find guys to show up with guitars, and tell the band "the soundguy said it was open mic - which amp do I plug into, dude...?"

DIdnt someone shut down a Mule show once upon a time like this?

runonce

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:23 AM »
Another thought -

The possibility of this happening is likely at an all time high - with the increased use of multichannel portable gear with phantom power options. Way more guys toting this feature around these days.

Easy to do by mistake - even if you are rock solid familiar with your gear. I've been taping for 20 years - and I do sound...and - I've done it. :-X

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
Isolation transformers FTW. When the production company I work for gives a feed to the press, or anyone for that matter, we use a press box to split the feed and isolate our gear from others. I don't record board feeds often, but I have an Iso splitter on my "I should have that " list.

A good Iso split also has a ground lift per channel.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
I'm not sure if the Henry Engineering distribution box has any protection built in or not. I know there aren't any transformers.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
seems like the easiest option for everyone is to use unbalanced rcas for sbd patches.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »
Hi Jon,

You may already be familiar with the AES paper "The Phantom Menace Returns" by Bortoni and Kirkwood (THAT Corp).  If not a free copy is available from THAT here:  http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/AES7909_48V_Phantom_Menace_Returns.pdf

It presents info on common mode, single ended, and "differential" fault mechanisms as well as how to protect mic input circuits from them.  It's written from the standpoint of protecting the mic pre input not the sound board output.  If you haven't seen it you will likely get a kick out of it.

-MIQ

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »
seems like the easiest option for everyone is to use unbalanced rcas for sbd patches.

This is not always possible. I've seen situations where all you could get were XLR out or 1/4 TRS outs. Most boards have a RCA "record" out but sometimes its tied up with other gear.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »

This is not always possible. I've seen situations where all you could get were XLR out or 1/4 TRS outs. Most boards have a RCA "record" out but sometimes its tied up with other gear.

Agreed. Only bringing RCA's with you is a recipe for not getting a board feed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.287 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com