Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-home interview project: My head is spinning, I need expert guidance!  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Arkaium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Folks,

For the longest time, I've wanted to document the story of my parents' life, particularly some rather exciting bits in their youth.  Laziness, cost, etc. have all played a part in things not quite coming together, but I feel like I'm finally ready to embark on what seems like a quest that's way over my head.

I have a Canon T2i that, while certainly not pro-level from a video standpoint, gets the job done at 1080 24p and a decent bitrate.  From very early on, my research taught me that the AGC inherent in the T2i made the prospects of plugging anything directly into the camera seem ill-advised.

Anyways, here is my planned setup:
LOCATION:  My parents' living room (no acoustic dampening; tile floors and bare walls)
SUBJECT:  Sitting on a couch in front of a wall
EQUIPMENT:
  • Canon T2i on tripod/monopod
  • Tascam DR-40 (will likely get the power adapter and not bother with batteries)

...And here's where I need the most help.  I've done my very, very best to read up on all the different mics and mic types to figure out the mic (~$150-$250) that will give me the best quality and also work for me in other uses/projects.  Here's what I'm considering:

Rode NTG-2:  I know that a hypercardioid would be vastly preferred for my indoor application versus the shotgun NTG-2, but I just see myself using a shotgun mic (i.e. outdoor audio) as much or more so than any indoor recording.  The arrangement I figured would work best was a boom stand hovering above my subject's head just out of shot, pointing directly at their face, but EVERYWHERE I look, folks are suggesting that a shotgun mic, particularly in a room where nothing's been treated for echo, is a mistake.

Rode NT-3:  While everyone seems to prefer this mic in situations similar to what I have planned, my understanding is that it won't work well for outdoor purposes?  Will it be THAT much better than the NTG-2 for my use?

Countryman EMW wired XLR lavalier:  Almost everyone (even myself) consider a lavalier to be the ideal mic for an interview, which is basically what I want to do, but the EMW has a couple problems in my mind: it's rather expensive, and it has rather limited applications.

I don't mind buying a more specialized mic for just this project and then buying a second one down the road, so if what seems to be the sagest wisdom confirms what I'm reading around the internets, then that's what I'll do.  I guess I just want my first serious mic purchase to afford me SOME versatility, and I feel the shotgun mic does exactly that.  Will it be THAT bad indoors?  And I apologize if I sound like someone who is just unwilling to accept the truth; it's more a case of wanting to figure out if the sentiment I'm coming across regarding shotguns indoors is overblown or not.

Thank you!!

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: In-home interview project: My head is spinning, I need expert guidance!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
I'd also love to learn more about some of the modular mics I've seen.  A hypercardioid recommendation I've seen is the Audio-Technica AT4053B.  It's a pricey mic, but I noticed they have a modular version.  Are there any draw backs to getting the modular version in the hope of putting different modules on for different purposes down the road?

Thank you!!

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
You can disable the automatic gain control on the T2i in the menu choose manual mode instead.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:13 PM »
If you get the shotgun, or any mic really, how are you going to mount it? Do you mind if its in the frame or not? Why do you think a hypercad is preferred for indoors?

considerations:
audio technica 822
audio technica 8022
rode nt4
church audio CA 14 cards
sennheiser md 46
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
You can disable the automatic gain control on the T2i in the menu choose manual mode instead.

I was under the impression that short of the Magic Lantern hack, it could not actually be disabled? Either way, I decided a whole ago I didn't want to mount the mic to my camera for this particular project, so I figured I'd get much better quality if I invested in a portable recorder that could power phantom XLR mics.

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:47 PM »
If you get the shotgun, or any mic really, how are you going to mount it? Do you mind if its in the frame or not? Why do you think a hypercad is preferred for indoors?

considerations:
audio technica 822
audio technica 8022
rode nt4
church audio CA 14 cards
sennheiser md 46

I read from a variety of audiophile/expert sites that the acoustic properties of the shotgun mic would result in tinnier sound with more echo (in an untreated room). Folks seemed to suggest that a hypercardioid offered a cleaner, more natural for indoor vocals. Could that sentiment be more for podcasts and musical recordings as opposed to my interview plan?

I was planning to get a 25 dollar boom stand, I believe the brand was On Stage, and have it just above and out of frame of my subject. I'll have the DR-40 oriented toward the subject too and would perhaps layer that input into the final video too, of I felt it added a sense of the space.

Would an NTG-1/2 work well enough in the scenario I'm describing? I guess I just wish there was a way I could know how the sound will pick up on both kinds of mics on that room.

Thanks for responding!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »
Whatever mics you get, just make it work. ;) My only reservation with a hypercard is that if your parents are a little far apart, one of them may not have the dialogue recorded. You want them to be comfortable so it would look awkward (especially since you're filming this) to have them sit very close together).
Shotguns are like a long hypercard mic with a lot of off axis rejection at high frequencies, but they can and have been used indoors. I really don't want to claim i know everything about microphones so i'll link you to this very detailed and technical post about shotguns: Shotgun recommendation by DSatz

Is there any reason you have not considered mics like the ca14 cards? Also, another pair worth considering is audio technica 831.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
Whatever mics you get, just make it work. ;) My only reservation with a hypercard is that if your parents are a little far apart, one of them may not have the dialogue recorded. You want them to be comfortable so it would look awkward (especially since you're filming this) to have them sit very close together).
Shotguns are like a long hypercard mic with a lot of off axis rejection at high frequencies, but they can and have been used indoors. I really don't want to claim i know everything about microphones so i'll link you to this very detailed and technical post about shotguns: Shotgun recommendation by DSatz

Is there any reason you have not considered mics like the ca14 cards? Also, another pair worth considering is audio technica 831.

Gosh, it's enough to make one's head spin, all these suggestions.  Thank you, but I guess having more choices is only making it harder!  I'm not opposed to spending more on one great mic if that's what is necessary, I just want to make sure I get the best thing for this application WHILE also keeping future potential projects in mind.

The Rode NT-4 does look like an interesting package, but it seems to almost never be used for interviews like what I have in mind?  Same goes for the matched pair NT-5s, which seem more reasonable in terms of price and for which I could easily get a couple boom stands and end up spending less money...  Will those mics work well for pure vocals from about 2 or so feet away?

I couldn't find the church audio mic you recommended, but thanks for offering the advice.

Do I need to worry about stereo since this is essentially a traditional sitdown interview?

Ugh, it's honestly enough info to give me a headache!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »
I don't mean to confuse you! :)

Consider the CA14 cards
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=141135.0

You may also need a pre-amp like the 9100 pre-amp. The pair of mics will be useful in the future if you want to do more interviews or music recording.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:10:11 AM »
I would buy a church audio cardioid set and either run them as a stereo pair on a short stand in front of the couch, or better yet, maybe use the Church Audio mics as lavs.  With the right placement on the subject, I'm sure you could make a very nice sounding dialog with a hyper cardioid lav.  Good luck!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
I would buy a church audio cardioid set and either run them as a stereo pair on a short stand in front of the couch, or better yet, maybe use the Church Audio mics as lavs.  With the right placement on the subject, I'm sure you could make a very nice sounding dialog with a hyper cardioid lav.  Good luck!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I ultimately decided that despite all of my wishes to get a mic I could have more varied uses with, the best choice for this project as I'd planned it was a lavalier mic. In my price range, I considered the Countryman EMW, the Countryman B6, Sony ECM-44b, and the AT-899. The Countrymans, while well reviewed, were a little pricey in the wired XLR config I wanted. My huge problem with the ECM-44b was what I perceived from audio samples as a thinness. Other lavs I heard samples for had a smoother, more rounded sound (imo). I also didn't like that it did NOT accept phantom power and was self powered. I wanted a device with the option.

I settled on the reasonably priced, good sized, well reviewed AT-899. I don't plan on having more than on subject in frame at once, so one will do for now. It'll go into my DR-40 (yet to come, hopefully chopper free), and I'll also orient that recorders built in mics toward my subject, like in X/Y, and use that audio if it adds to the final product.

I'll let you all know how it goes! If anyone has any lav tips or anything specifically relating to the AT-899, let me know!

BTW, for anyone who has been looking for a deal on this mic, Musician's Friend has it for 199.99 and offers a 15% off coupon for items 199 and over just barely qualifying it. I got it for $18x shipped.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:52:22 PM by Arkaium »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
the AT-899 is omni, correct? So you went form wanting hypercard to omni?
Please update us after you do the recording!

Offline Arkaium

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
the AT-899 is omni, correct? So you went form wanting hypercard to omni?
Please update us after you do the recording!

From my limited experience with lavs, I've found that it can often be difficult, based on the subject's clothes and posture, to get things just right.  I figured the omnidirectional pickup, since it will still greatly isolate background noise due it being a lav, will be a little easier for a less experienced audio person (me) to use.  What I've read online seems to reinforce this, and there seems to also be the general sentiment that omni sounds a little more natural and far less likely to be affected by the subject shifting their position/posture.  This will be a controlled environment will little background noise, so the more extreme isolation of the cardioid is probably unnecessary.  Then again, I can only make all of these assessments and decisions based on limited experience (I will very likely do a test for video and audio and plan the best locations in my parents' home before I actually do the full sit down with them), so if there are things I'm unaware of or could learn, I'm open to all the experience from the folks round here!

If there is of course, in this context, a better lavalier mic in your opinion, I am still open to suggestions.  I figured I might as well go with one, a well reviewed one, and get some learning in :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:56:55 PM by Arkaium »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:30 PM »
I totally agree that a hyper/shotgun is best for speech. After all, thats what they are made for ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mr qpl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 10:17:07 AM »
why not clip on omnis? used all the time on tv. theater.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com