Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D50 Sensitivity/Gain - Looking for a reference to check my D50 against  (Read 1756 times)

Offline mark_ivan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi

Had a D50 a while back, but didn't keep it, and just recently purchased one as a compact ambient recorder solution for a trip to Guatemala.

I could have sworn that the mic sensitivity and/or preamp gain was higher with the original unit I had a couple years ago compared to what I am now experiencing.

Not sure of the best way to measure this, but one thought was that if I could find a kind soul here on the boards with some pink noise and a db meter  (and a D50) to provide me with their recording level readings on the D50 when presented with, say, a 70 db pink noise signal, then I would know if I have an out of spec D50, or just a bad memory. What do the meters read on the D50 with the Input knob set to '5' and the mic atten switch at each of the two setting (0db and -20db), keeping mics in XY config, again, with a 70db signal (measured at the location of the recorder).

If I am missing something obvious and I can check/calculate this from the Sony specs alone and without another D50's readings to compare to, please let me know.

It appears that most have abandoned the D50 in favour of the M10 and a Church or Naiant pre-amp, but if anyone has hung onto their D50, I would like to hear from you.

Cheers,
Mark
BSC1/ECM999>X2>FR2LE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com