Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Foster fr-2le battery  (Read 3975 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
Foster fr-2le battery
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
I recently purchased a foster fr-ale f/ guitar center cheap but did not include a battery at all. I've read tamiya 7.2 or something works but I would iike to know exactly which one and charger.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:53:30 PM by Chimney Top »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Foster fr-2le battery
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:29:14 PM »
when I had a fr2-le, I used this (looked up the order slip and part #) but just about any RC battery pack that has a nominal voltage of 7.2v will work.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
FR2-LEs originally came with a battery sled that accepted 4 AAs. The sled is basically the same size as a 7.2 volt RC (radio control) battery. These RC batteries are available at almost every online battery retailer and most brick_and_mortar hobby stores in various capacities. Check online or at a local battery or hobby store. All should have the batteries and chargers. FYI - Tamaya is a brand name; they make several connectors but their most popular has become generic for that one style - as Molex is a brand but the horizontal 4 pin connectors that are on the end of the leads from your computer's power supply are pretty much now known as a molex connector when in reality both Molex and Tamaya make many models of connectors.

Note that the Tamaya connector is not the easiest to get in the little cubby hole in the FR2LE's battery compartment which is why some folks have replaced the Tamaya with a Deans (again one of many models) connector. More info on that here on TS, some in the various FR2LE threads and some elsewhere. Use TS's search to find them.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:10 PM »
It's fostex not foster but I used a radio shack rc battery and some from battery space
The radio shack was esy to got it because the cord was softer
Basically though tip the cable end down and slip the cable inside then drop the other end down
A 3300 battery will run 48v for about 6 hrs
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Chimney Top

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
It's fostex not foster but I used a radio shack rc battery and some from battery space
Basically though tip the cable end down and slip the cable inside then drop the other end down

Ipad kept auto-correct spelling and changing Fostex to Foster.

Thanks ya'll for the info.  The fact that this machine couldn't find a home until now due to a missing battery is amazing, considering how easy it is to pick them up.  I paid $150!  they kept marking it down year after year...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
It is also possible to run the LE from an external battery plugged into the AC jack. Not as compact as the sled/7.2v RC battery but it does work. I've successfully run mine on 6, 9.6 and 12 volts. For tip sizes that work see http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=150794.0

Congrats on the nice price.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: Fostex fr-2le battery
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
I tried to find a post that recommends always removing the battery from the 2le when its not in use for a period of time. I wasn't able to find it but I think the post explained the battery damaged or destroyed the unit.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:38 AM »

Ipad kept auto-correct spelling and changing Fostex to Foster.

Thanks ya'll for the info.  The fact that this machine couldn't find a home until now due to a missing battery is amazing, considering how easy it is to pick them up.  I paid $150!  they kept marking it down year after year...
i feel ya, i hate the auto correct a lot of times

$150 is a steal, all for the battery tray missing??
it doesn't come with a battery you would have had to buy that anyway
nice score for a nice machine
you might want to check and make sure it has the latest firmware though
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Chimney Top

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
i picked up one from radioshack today  2800mahs. saw another at frys 3000mah for 25 bucks.  definitely a good deal ...already had a 8gb flash card !from a brief use with marantz 671.  so im all set and ready to tape this weekend.  illcheck for firmware when i get my macbook back f the shop.  thanks

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:49 AM »
I don't know the exact form factor of the FR2-LE battery, but it may be worth looking online for a lithium polymer version as an alternative to the standard NIMH packs. You should be able to get at least 4.5Ah or possibly up to 6Ah from a lipo pack, and it would keep the weight down too.

Ben
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:47:31 AM by sk-1 »

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Remember 6Ah is only a 4320 mAh @ 7.2 volts unless it states the rating for 6Ah @ 7.2 volts.   
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:09:23 PM by kirkd »

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
The lithium-polymer 7.2v R/c battery packs would work if you ran the battery outside of the recorder.  I like having the nimh R/c pack in the compartment of the unit w no extra wires.  I have seen some others run their battery externally and seem to have no problems.

I own too many nimh battery packs atm to try a lipo pack but when they start no longer holding a charge I will prob make the switch.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com