Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: home networking - why go wireless N?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
home networking - why go wireless N?
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
I've got a home networking question in regards to why would one upgrade to Wireless N set up?

Say you've got this for a home network setup:

Comcast Cable/Internet > cable modem (10/100 MB Ethernet port) > wireless 11b Router (10/100 Ethernet port) > your devices

Seems to me if I upgrade my router to a N router (because my laptop has a BGN card in it), all I'm doing is making my wireless speeds increase from my wireless device to the router. But at that point the router then talks to the cable modem through 100MB Ethernet ports. So didn't your internet/network speed just go back down to 100MB (if you are now getting "N" speeds)?

I guess I am just looking at this as to where the bottle necks in your home network are and why ppl upgrade to a N setup, when most of the time your main bottleneck is your actual wired connection to the internet coming into your home, or at least the connection coming out of your modem.

Seems to me to get the full potential of a "N" setup would be to upgrade your modem to something that has a gig Ethernet jack on the back (are there any?) and then upgrade your wireless router to something that also has a gig Ethernet jack in it, then get "N" cards for your devices (that is starting to get a little spendy right there).  In that scenario, you have increased your home network speeds the most you can do (for now) all the way to the wired connection that leaves your house (which is going at what speed?).

I am an IT guy and fix computers (and futz with GPO/AD stuff) for a living, but when it comes to my home network, I just need something that works.  :)

TIA!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: home networking - why go wireless N?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »
Faster speeds.
Longer range.
Less interference with other wireless standards (if the router supports 5Ghz).

Remember the speeds on wireless routers are "theoretical" speeds and are not possible. With a Wireless B modem > Wireless N modem you should see an increase in speed on internet use. You might not see a difference between Wireless G and Wireless N because your internet connection is slower than G...but it's probably faster than B.

I'm happy with G. If you're using the Wireless to transfer data between computers N might be nicer. I use CAT5e to transfer data around my house. I just use the Wireless for my laptop and phone for internet browsing.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: home networking - why go wireless N?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Faster speeds.
Longer range.
Less interference with other wireless standards (if the router supports 5Ghz).

Remember the speeds on wireless routers are "theoretical" speeds and are not possible. With a Wireless B modem > Wireless N modem you should see an increase in speed on internet use. You might not see a difference between Wireless G and Wireless N because your internet connection is slower than G...but it's probably faster than B.

I'm happy with G. If you're using the Wireless to transfer data between computers N might be nicer. I use CAT5e to transfer data around my house. I just use the Wireless for my laptop and phone for internet browsing.

Depending on your ISP speeds, your current wireless setup could be the bottleneck.  But yes, as mentioned, N offers more local speed.  In my house, I have two streaming Apple TVs, which can simultaneously pull HD video, wirelessly, with no hiccups.  When I move files from computer to computer, they go MUCH faster with N, than previous G.  Also, all of my computers back up wirelessly, so again, local transfers speeds are faster.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com