Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland r-05 owners and users, the display light goes out completely? HELP 911  (Read 7661 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
hello, I am doing a run of shows next week or two and really could use some help

I know you can set the light to go off at certain timed intervals just like the r-09 with the flashing red light-you can get that to stop once recording.

But You can always see the screen on the r-09!!!!!  The r-09 display never goes dark!!!  The r-05 display goes dark. 

On the r-05 the display light goes completely out ( i set it for 20 seconds), but it seems to go out and not even a sign of being able to see it in the dark to see levels.

Back to the r-09, while recoding you can still see the display because it is slightly lit?

Anyway to keep the r-05 display light on even dimly while recording?  and if so does it drain the battery even more?

AGain please advise, the r-05 display goes out completely where the r-09 display never actually goes complete dark.

why the difference?

or is there a setting to keep the display light so i can see levels as i am recording?

again in urgent need of some help

p.s I do know about the secret service buttons but they dont seem to apply except for the red record button.

please advise
I am leaving for shows in less than a week. got 8 coming up

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Just press the record button again and the screen comes back on without doing anything to the recording.  Don't know about a way to keep the backlight always on, though I'm sure that would be a drain on the battery.

Offline mr qpl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
look for little mini led flashlights. I use one to keep the recording light off and save batteries, the yellow ones do a good job of illumination without a big bright light disturbing neighbors.

http://www.photonlight.com/pages/Photon-Lights.html?Source=Google_photon&gclid=CJXj46jBma8CFUUHRQodOhHmzA

Photons are a little more expensive, but have replaceable batteries and last a long time (I have one I've used for 6 years)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Just go into the display menu and set the backlight to off. That will keep the backlight on at all times.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
Just go into the display menu and set the backlight to off. That will keep the backlight on at all times.

but wouldn't that drain the battery to have the display illuminated all the time--(even though set on lowest illumination)?

thanks to all that have replied at this time

please advise

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
My Korg MR1 works the same way.  Leave the light on -vs- save the battery.  I tend to let the screen go dark, then if I want it to see it I turn the headphone volume up or down a notch (I'm not using it so who cares). Screen wakes up, I take a look, then let it go to sleep again.  Even if you are running undercover, everyone's cell phone lights up when they look at it, then goes to sleep.  Nothing unusual.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
My Korg MR1 works the same way.  Leave the light on -vs- save the battery.  I tend to let the screen go dark, then if I want it to see it I turn the headphone volume up or down a notch (I'm not using it so who cares). Screen wakes up, I take a look, then let it go to sleep again.  Even if you are running undercover, everyone's cell phone lights up when they look at it, then goes to sleep.  Nothing unusual.

nice

soul grateful

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
I go a different route and always leave the lights on on any deck I use. I have never run out of power in the middle of a show, so I don't know how much extra it drains. Personal choice I guess. I have had good battery life in the R-05.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:45:54 PM by dallman »

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
I go a different route and always leave the lights on on any deck I use. I have never run out of power in the middle of a show, so I don't know how much extra it drains. Personal choice I guess. I have had good battery life in the R-05.

so even on a show that require some Jedi skills.

because i tried to say" push the headphone button"BUT the light DOES NOT come back on iftheunit is in HOLD mode.Which in hold mode i know i wont hit anything by accident, secondly, putting to hold button on and off, i see a spike in recording--it might be "clicking internally onto the recording(i have not checked yet as I am just testing at home.

So you think for a 2 hour show plus I usually have the unit on 20 minutes before the show, then record opening act--then i still leave it running

all in all with fresh batteries can I leave the display lit, and record for 4hours?  please let me know

thanks

Offline achalsey

Just press the record button again and the screen comes back on without doing anything to the recording.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
Just press the record button again and the screen comes back on without doing anything to the recording.

but if youare in HOLD mode, you cant just press the record button again.  you have to take it out of HOLD mode to have display go on again.

is there any way to get the display to go on while in HOLD? if i am out of HOLD mode then the display light goes on but a greater chance of hitting any button on the face of unit.

again any way to stay in HOLD mode, and be able to have a display light on?

The old r-09 had a display you could see in the dark.I am just trying to see if the r-05 can do something similar?

thanks in advance

Well it may look like a piece never used to record a show go right into the Yard sale. Any unit have a dimmer light or display light that you can seeinthe dark? sony m10?

Offline achalsey

but if youare in HOLD mode, you cant just press the record button again.  you have to take it out of HOLD mode to have display go on again.

Are you positive about this?  I apologize for second guessing you, but my memory (though possibly wrong) says otherwise.  I don't have the R-05 anymore but I'm positive there is a very simple way for the screen to turn on when hold is on.  Could have sworn it was just pushing REC again (the M10 is the same way). 

Maybe try pressing menu.  When the hold is on and you press something the back light should come on with a message along the lines of "recording in process" then go back to your recording screen.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
When the hold button is on and your screen is dark, you can light it up again by pressing any of the buttons on the back: limiter, gain or low cut.
Also if you take the hold button and slide it back (and forth) it will turn the backlight back on. While you might worry that you would accidentally shut the power off, you have to hold it in the off position for a few seconds, so that is not all that likely.
Since I don't record anything that would run longer than the batteries would last, I like to keep the screen lit always.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
FYI

I had the roland r-05 running with display on, contrast at 5 and had it continually recording thru sonosax and DPA 4023 for 5 hours straight with no decrease in battery life on the display readout of the roland r-05.

I then just stopped at 5 hours.NOtelling how long with display light on, but one thing is for sure 5 hours your good.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
FYI

I had the roland r-05 running with display on, contrast at 5 and had it continually recording thru sonosax and DPA 4023 for 5 hours straight with no decrease in battery life on the display readout of the roland r-05.

I then just stopped at 5 hours.NOtelling how long with display light on, but one thing is for sure 5 hours your good.

What setting did you use to keep the display on?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com