Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Issues with Terratec iVinyl  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Issues with Terratec iVinyl
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
I use the Terratec iVinyl when transfering old master analog cassette recordings. When I used the Spin Doctor program that came with the device, I found that sometimes the transfers had parts that had excluded short, short microbits of the show. It could be heard while listening to it afterwards. This meant I couldn't "create" what was missing. Very disturbing!

Now I use Audacity instead, and it seems now I get small silent microgaps in the transfers instead (like 0,015 seconds) which can be deleted in post. This SEEMS to be like every 5th minute or so, and means I have to listen through every transfer I make to hear exactly where these micogaps are, and remove them.

I first thought this was because the MAC I use couldn't cope with updating my e-mail client every 5th minute, but as I only have the Audacity open now during transfers, I hear it's still happening. I can hear the microgaps during transfer, so it's nothing that happens because of buffering issues.

Is it the Terratec iVinyl itself? Could it be microgaps in the cassette masters I've recieved?

I've set the iVinyl on "Capacity 250" and "Line" - anyone have a different opinion on these settings?

ANY help would be appreciated!

/Jonas, Sweden

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Issues with Terratec iVinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
I'd put money on the A>D stage (the ivinyl), or the hard drive used when recording, I've seen it both ways. I encountered it once in a while when I was doing VHS>DVD transfers.

The safest way to resolve this is to move to an outboard recorder that isn't on your PC, then copy the wav files from the recorder to the PC. That removes any problems with buffers, drivers, or other programs. Depending on the recorder, you'll likely improve the A>D stage at the same time.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Re: Issues with Terratec iVinyl
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »
Ok, thanks!

As you said - transfering via the Edirol R-09 worked just fine. I also tried to increase the memory that Audacity uses while recording, to see if that changes anything. I'll try that and see how it goes.

** EDIT ** Didn't work any better, switching to transfer via the Edirol R-09HR instead...

/Jonas
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:26:31 AM by jontebus »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com